Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
markliman

Creating an eclectic style room in basement on a budget

markliman
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Just wanted to share my start at decorating this room in my basement. It is really just a room I use to read and relax. This room leads into my children's playroom. It is painted an apricot/orange color. So far it has been a difficult color to decorate with. Not sure if I am going to keep this tree picture but it is a start. I have tried several decorative pillows but none really work yet. I am on a small budget with this room and am planning on repurposing furniture I already have or using items I can find at stores around me locally (target, marshalls, ross, kirklands etc).

markliman's ideas · More Info

markliman's ideas · More Info
Would like to know if this picture works with this wall color. I am going to add decorative pillows, thinking maybe a blue? Might move the couch to face the tv.

Comments (18)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

The painting might work with the wall, but your picture quality is terrible so no one can see what the actual colors might be. Can you take the pics with a higher pixel level and with some lights?

• markliman
    Original Author
    8 years ago

LOL. Beverly. I will see if I can get a better picture. The room is very dark because it does not get any natural light. I think it may be time to get some side tables and lamps.

• Nancy Travisinteriors
    8 years ago
    Picture works. Might put a small chest under it. Fill bare corners with plants. Take wall color and use in a pattern for pillows. Mix with one or two black. Let pic inspire you. A leopard area rug would work for interest. Keep with the wall color tones. Keep it simple. Sofa looking at fire place very good. Might use black in furniture. Make it comfy TJMax great for all your needs. Easy return too.
    markliman thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • Stacey Collins
    8 years ago
    The colors in the pillow Beverly posted are terrific! Since this room has no natural light & leads to the kids space, a fun semi modern vibe would be perfect. Look for some artwork with similar colors or commission your kids if they are old enough to do something special for you!
    markliman thanked Stacey Collins
  • markliman
    Original Author
    8 years ago

• markliman
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here are some better PICs. Keep the ideas coming! I love those pillows Beverly. Where can I get pillows like that?

• er612
    8 years ago

Can you post pics of the other walls? There might be a better arrangement.

markliman thanked er612
  • markliman
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Sure. I will post the other walls. They are blank right now. I just have a kids bookcase and a printer in this room. Will post them in an hour or so

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

I understand this is a difficult color to decorate with...so why are you keeping it? Decide what colors you want for pillows and art, and then paint the walls.

markliman thanked groveraxle
  • groveraxle
    8 years ago

You need a longer console. Your TV looks like it's about to topple.

Painting the walls will give you a lot more latitude with color in your accessories.

You might even find some art you like better.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

Now that I have seen the true color of the walls......................I think the paint has to go. It doesn't work with the carpet and it's the cheapest fix for the room.

markliman thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • mowynn10
    8 years ago
    I have almost the same picture. I love the look of mirrors and metallics hung in a grouping. It lightens up heavy colors and furnishings and is a super cheap look to achieve.
    markliman thanked mowynn10
  • markliman
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Agree with repainting the walls. It is just too much work to get things to match the walls. The kids room that this attaches to is a light cream with a yellow tone. Then the kids room leads to another bedroom that is a pretty light blue. Should I paint this room the same color as the kids room or does it matter? Choosing a neutral paint color has always been hard for me. What undertone should I look for? I can post pics of the paint color in the kids room if it would help.

• Michelle G
    8 years ago
    I really like the artwork after seeing it in better light! Maybe a very light grey/blue (a tone that seems to be in the artwork). Your couch (which I also like) looks gold and blues work with gold too. Keep us posted!
  • markliman
    Original Author
    8 years ago

pic of paint color from playroom

• markliman
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Other views of room as requested

• markliman
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Sponsored