Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bronwen_franklin

Need a splash back!

Bronwen Franklin
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We are doing a graany flat for the in-laws and my mother in law doesn't like grait where food can be come inbedded in it so now im stuck as she has been told that glass is also had to keep cleen help me sorry didn't mean to put it up twice

Comments (20)

• georgi02
    8 years ago

Whatever you put up will need to be cleaned, but glass or mirrored splashbacks avoid the drudgery of cleaning grout. Cleaning glass is no more difficult then cleaning tiles - wipe it down with a warm soapy cloth after cooking and shining the glass with a clean soft tea towel and bit of diluted white vinegar and water to remove any streaks. Splash guards for pots/pans will also keep the cleaning down to a wipe over.

• woodjay
    8 years ago

Or try grey grout

• Chanop
    8 years ago

Stone splash back would be easy to clean.

• julienewans
    8 years ago

Stone needs to be sealed as it's porous and needs special cleaning products. Everything needs to be cleaned but I can understand the grout dislike. Glass is not difficult, I have stainless steel and find it easy to keep clean (and we do a lot of cooking). Large format tiles will decrease the amount of grout. There is also a laminate board I have seen used but not sure of the name.

Bronwen Franklin thanked julienewans
  • dorothyoliphant
    8 years ago

Have you had a look at pressed tin? Still needs cleaning, but your MIL might like the look more than glass ....

Bronwen Franklin thanked dorothyoliphant
  • PRO
    Glenda Wing Interior Decorating
    8 years ago

I agree with georgio2 and would suggest wallpaper of ferns/rainforest under the glass to bring beauty into the kitchen area.

Bronwen Franklin thanked Glenda Wing Interior Decorating
  • urchfont
    8 years ago

I have large white tiles in my kitchen- much less expensive than glass, and much less grout to clean. It also doesn't show the marks as much as glass.

Bronwen Franklin thanked urchfont
  • dorothyoliphant
    8 years ago

Bronwen Franklin thanked dorothyoliphant
  • kooky_karen
    8 years ago

Why not use the laminate of bench top on the wall? Easy to keep clean.

Or, as urchfont suggested - large tiles means less grout.

Bronwen Franklin thanked kooky_karen
  • Anna Richards
    8 years ago

I agree with a laminate, easier to keep clean, reasonably cheap and the best bit... Get something with a pattern, possibly mat. Hate to say it but sometimes it can distract from marks that can otherwise seem very prominent on a glass or high gloss finish. Especially with that natural light bouncing of the surface. You can still clean regularly but small marks wont drive you to distraction!

Bronwen Franklin thanked Anna Richards
  • Bronwen Franklin
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you everyone someone told me about a perspective that has patterns on them and can be order at bunnings has anyone heard any news on it good bad or other wise.

• Deborah Cross
    8 years ago

I've no experience with them, but you can see them at http://www.bunnings.com.au/our-range/kitchen/splashbacks/acrylic. Scroll down to the Bellessi ones.

Bronwen Franklin thanked Deborah Cross
  • Bronwen Franklin
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Deborah Cross the blue harison is really nice. Has and one used someone that uses a photo can be put on things like acrylic

• patjon
    8 years ago

Like mum in law I hate grotty grout but l have been told you can now buy a plastic sealer paint that goes over the grout I don' know the brand name but enquiries at a paint or hardware shop may be the go

Bronwen Franklin thanked patjon
  • mischiefdebs
    8 years ago

Hi Bronwen. I have a beautiful red glass splashback and it is awesome. It is super easy to clean - simply use spray n wipe or similar and the colour has really lifted the room. The great thing I love about glass splashbacks is you can have exactly the colour you want - just choose the paint colour and, taadaaaaaa! Enjoy!

Bronwen Franklin thanked mischiefdebs
  • fergren
    8 years ago

It's probably too late now, but Laminex have a product called Metalline that is in between tiles and glass splashbacks in price. We used it when we renovated and are very happy with the result. Ours is a light metallic grey. It looks good and is easy to clean.

Bronwen Franklin thanked fergren
  • Bronwen Franklin
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Fergren thanks we have had to put things on hold because my mother in laws mum has just past away. She has been ill for a few months now . Can i please ask you where you got the product from?

• fergren
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi Bronwen. I'm sorry to hear your sad news. Here is a link to the colour choices on the Laminex site: http://www.laminex.com.au/products.php#!/splashbacks/metaline-splashbacks-and-panels/ . There are 23 colours in total. I'm pretty sure we chose the Palladium Perle (see 2nd set/page). We obtained samples from the Laminex showroom in our nearby country town (see Locator on website) and ordered it through our kitchen installer. If you don't have a Laminex showroom near you, you can order brochures and samples on 1800 002 204 in Australia (per their website). If you are installing it yourselves, you would have to ask them how to obtain it but you do need to add extra insulation on the panel behind the stovetop.

Bronwen Franklin thanked fergren
  • bargainhunter
    8 years ago
    I have a glass splash back and it is very easy to clean
    Bronwen Franklin thanked bargainhunter