Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swngdncr

Rebuild this pond, or replace with?

swngdncr
8 years ago

This water feature had many problems. Now that I've torn it apart to fix it and find a leak, the question is what to do. Should we re-build it as a pond, same as it was, change it. Tear it out and just put landscaping in? I'm looking for some suggestions. One big issue is that the trees were small when we originally did this. Now the trees are big, and they flower, and the area is subject to tree debris constantly. More details below,but here is a picture of it:

It was a "pondless" pond. There is a deep basin in the right corner, filled with rocks, a vault and pump. Water was pumped up to top where the arrow points to the basket with lava rock. All of that was covered with a big piece of flagstone, so the water was coming from under the flagstone patio. The pump kept clogging, we'd empty the basin, re-fill, a few days later, clogged again. A pond plant had taken over. Finally tore the basin apart, pulled out the plant, cleaned it completely and put in a new pump vault, put it back together, only to find it was leaking, probably at the slate "waterfall". The story goes on, but the current status is mostly torn apart, see below:

The valve is not sealing and needs to be replaced. Oh, and there are roots growing between the underlayment and the pond liner up at the top, at the falls and the little stream area. We do have two other waterfall ponds, one in the backyard and another one out front. My husband favors just tearing it out completely. But, we have everything to do it as a water feature.I never found that leak at the slate waterfall. And, then there is the tree debris. Even as a pondless water feature, all the debris will decay, etc. and cause problems, no? Any suggestions would be appreciated. -cjr-

Comments (6)

• frankielynnsie
    8 years ago

Since you have other ponds I would do something else. Or if you still want the water use something that is hard plastic not liner but you still have the debris to constantly clean up. Any type of water feature would require cleaning tree leaves up.

How about a big pot water feature over flowing onto/thru rocks into reservoir and pumping back up thru pot. You would have to make sure leaves etc wouldn't divert the water and empty reservoir though. Maybe some kind of collar that is hidden by the rocks. I have always wanted one of these.

• swngdncr
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion... my mind was actually headed that direction. Something that sits on top, the water pumps up and it flows out.. The birds used the old one as a bird bath, so something that will still attract the birds. Then put landscape fabric down underneath top layer of rocks so the leaf debris won't get into the basin. We wouldn't do this copper one, copper water feature but if you look at the area underneath it, that is what I'm thinking it might look like. It would be easy to blow the leaves off of the surface, whereas with the small stream and little ponds in the old one catch the leaves and it is just a mess.

• Debbie Downer
    8 years ago

The fact that you're asking for advice suggests to me that you're not particularly attached to this thing as it is. Usually pondless waterfalls are in the context of having plants/trees/shrubs planted around to make it more like a natural stream or spring. Or its part of an interesting architectural piece that really adds something to the landscape.

This one is neither. Its just running water, surrounded by concrete so what comes to mind for me is not natural stream or springs but water going into a sewer grate after a storm. HOWEVER.... if it were rebuilt in such a way that it was a more substantial and interesting architectural piece that might be a good spot for it - more a vertical fountain type thing would collect fewer leaves I think - as it is theres a lot of rocks, standing water, horizontal surface to collect debris. Cant remember what theyre called, but there are those stone walls with water flowing out of spigots into a basin that can be really beautiful and fit well into a courtyard or patio (ie a built environment)

Do you get any enjoyment at all from it as it is - or would you, if it was built differently? I guess that's a question only you can answer.

• swngdncr
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Point well taken. Although when it was all together and working and with a plant in there, it didn't look bad. It was interesting because of the way the water came out of the wall. Maybe not as bad as a sewer storm drain, but not the natural looking environment that would be ideal. I do think a vertical element of some could be better option. With some plants around it. The birds loved the old one, it had two little ponds before it went into the basin, and the birds would be in there a lot. Something that would still attract the birds. Maybe like this: Rock water feature

• PRO
    Acorn Ponds & Waterfalls
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

If you don't mind not having fish, this looks like the perfect location for a garden fountain, bubbling urn or rock fountain! With these types of water features you will be able to add a little height and the soothing sounds of water not to mention low maintenance. Or you may want to keep it pondless and add some spillway bowls for an added effect.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting