Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yogetter

Share your ideas for our Living/family room - Transitional - Help! :)

yogetter
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We are in the fun process of designing our first home's living room!

We like transition styles but also appreciate modern, traditional, and cottage/beach styles. Overall we like an elegant and crisp look but one that is homey and inviting.

Please check out my ideabook to see what things I typically like: My ideabook

Some notes -

• There is a lot of natural light
  • I've included some of our design elements on the floor
  • We put up photos on the wall but I don't really like it, we'd love to change that (it looks off)
  • Need help with window treatments, what to do with corners, open space in center, and under the TV (we will hide the wires through the wall)
  • What other furniture do we need to buy
  • We purchased the lamp in the photo from Pottery barn

We like neutrals but I know that sometimes they fade into each other, so I'm open to some color, of course. Thanks soooo much to anyone who helps!!! Please provide links if you can.

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Mary
    8 years ago
    I agrry with susan but please don't use glass table beacause glass dont allow to positive energy move easly to according to fensui,and it's better to use some plant
    yogetter thanked Mary
  • susan2494
    8 years ago

Look at roman shades for the windows and some vertical art for each side of loveseat.

• yogetter
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks so much Susan and Mary!

Susan- Yea, we bought the couches 2 years ago when we moved into our last house, and now that we bought our first house, we want to really invest in making it look nice. But they were expensive, so we can switch it out just yet :) I agree though - lesson learned! Also agree about the pillows...what colors do you think we can add?

Mary - are you suggesting a wood table painted, for example?

What should we do with the windows? They are such strange sizes that I'm not sure how to go about it.

• yogetter
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Love both of those ideas, Susan! The vertical art will be perfect in some nice frames!

• susan2494
    8 years ago

yogetter thanked susan2494
  • susan2494
    8 years ago

The art is canvas, no frames needed. Look at roman shades, the windows are a little odd so if need to soften them or need privacy,, there are lots of options in the shades.

They look good and don't distract from the room. Check out blindsgalore.com or visit a local store that carries them. Probably HD and Lowes. You just measure window and they cut to size and ship. You can hang outside on window frames or on the inside of window like those in photo.

yogetter thanked susan2494
  • linlac
    8 years ago

The wall is a little small for a gallery wall. You may be able to do the gallery wall around the television. I love your pillows but I would omit the large white pillows on both. I would try the sofa on the large wall, or do you need more seating across from the television?

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

Here are some pics that address the great ideas suggested above. If you do a focal wall frame out the whole area with masking tape to be vertical or horizontal and then fill in the pictures, have 3" or less between all frames. Your frames should relate to each other in color or finish. This group uses two colors, gold and deep dark finish. It creates balance for the brain

Classic and Chic Living Room · More Info

2. Roman shades or roll down shades in a texture to add interest. I think you could do a COMBINATION of Roman woven shade and stationery curtains on each window. This room has a pair of benches in a pattern to add interest to the room.

Fresh Family Room · More Info

3. Combination floor to ceiling curtains and woven roman or roll up shade. Decorative Rod too.

Weston Residence · More Info

4. This room below shows neutral sofa and chairs, then adds an accent color in yellow, simple blue lamps, and I think the print chairs and the curtains are the same fabric. Sparkle is added with mirror repeated on a wall area. I think your room needs a patterned curtain floor to ceiling and add some upholstered benches (in lieu of the patterned chairs you see in the pic but that you do not have at this time)in same fabric to add simple seating and visual interest.

Part of me want to put the sofa on the longest wall with the centered window and the love seat on the door wall. Have you tried that?

TV needs console 25 percent longer than TV for balance as was mentioned above. Lower the TV so it sits on console or is just above it.

If you add an accent color as per this room, make sure you add another accent piece in the same color so the color can relate to each other. Note pillows and lemons reinforce each other and bring eyes to center of room.

You have a good start. Keep it up.

Santa Monica Bungalow · More Info

yogetter thanked Susan Davis
  • yogetter
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks linlac - you know, we tried switching the sofa to the large wall, but it just seemed off because of the dimensions and the alignment with the window. I agree about taking the white pillows out, I did that a few minutes ago to try it out and it looks better. If we still want to use the large pillows, I'll have to find alternate covers.

Agreed, the gallery wall isn't doing much where it is, I'll have to play around with it depending on what other furniture we get. It may just be better to put the photos somewhere else or change the frames and keep a selection of photos. We could also possible do it here on the fourth wall (which is separated from the main space)...(the painting is one of my paintings in progress, we just put it there to test it out)

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago

I would recommend you to use one big print above sofa instead of the multiple frames http://sainteriordesignstoronto.com/casanova.html

roman blinds for the window with curtains on the side

yogetter thanked User
  • yogetter
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Soosun2 - I love those pictures - especially the Fresh Family Room and Santa Monica Bungalow. The tips are super, super helpful!

You know, Susan really was right that two chairs would be better than the loveseat (as one of your pics shows as well). It also provides a great opportunity to add some color. I've loved this chair from Crate and Barrel ever since we started looking for furniture this time around (for some reason the color shown online is cream, but in person, it's a light gray/blue velvet material) Zoe Swivel Chair

But like you say, we don't have that yet - so I love the idea of patterned benches and ceiling/floor curtains to add that mix. And agree - a textured roman would be really great and will keep the light coming through.

Great to know the proper way to put together the photos - those tips are so helpful.

• yogetter
    Original Author
    8 years ago

S&A Decor - Agreed, that is what we were thinking as well...something with a little color too.

I like the idea of mixing roman blinds with curtains on the side - learning new things every post.

Love your work on your website!