Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k_rex

Will rooted ZZ leaflets die off eventually?

kelli
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi guys,

Just bought this beauty from the garden center today. It seems to be a pretty vigorous grower (I had to cut it out of the 4" plastic pot it came in because the rhizomes were about to bust it open). It looks like the grower originally propagated them from leaf cuttings - you can literally see 3 big leaves sticking straight up from the soil. I thought these would atrophy and die off after awhile - or do they stay there forever? Anyone have experience with this? As you can see, the one on the right is turning yellow, which I hope means that it's just that original leaf dying off and has nothing to do with the stalk it's attached to.

thanks guys!

New plants · More Info

Here's a view from the other side

New plants · More Info

Comments (20)

• GreenLarry
    8 years ago

Yea that definitely look like leaf propagates. I've tried this myself twice, both times failing. The old leaf will eventually dry up and fade. But that normally happens early on. Looks like these have been hanging on a while

• tlbean2004
    8 years ago

When you stick a ZZ leaf in the soil it creates a bulbous root system and after about a year it will send up new growth. It may remain or it may die.

• kelli
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Thanks guys! Very helpful. I'm assuming that in the beginning stages of the leaf creating a new root system, the leaf itself is feeding energy into the roots. However, at this point when it has multiple stalks coming out, is the leaf even necessary? I'm guessing that pulling the leaf out of the soil is out of the question (since a rhizome might come up with it), but can I cut the leaves down so that they're not so unsightly? Or should I just wait for them to die off

• laticauda
    8 years ago

I would leave them for nutrition for the plants :) it'll dry up eventually once all moisture is taken from it. I'd still leave the dried up detritus, but many will disagree with me.

• tlbean2004
    8 years ago

All the leaflets that mine had eventually yellowed and i pulled them out.

Do you mind me asking how much you paid for the plant?

• kelli
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, I think I'll do that too as the original leaves begin to yellow.

I don't mind at all. It was $9.99 and in a 4 inch pot. I think the shop probably categorized price by pot size despite a huge difference in the size/maturity of the plants in the 4" pots. This one is about a foot tall and desperately needed to be repotted, but others at the same price point were literally no more than a couple 3 inch stalks poking out of the soil with a few leaves on it. So I, of course, picked up the largest one possible in a 4" pot :)

I should note that this plant shop is in the middle of the Marina district in San Francisco (Sloat Garden Center) and is known to be pretty overpriced because of the location. They had zz plants in 10" pots that ran nearly $100 (I know, thinking about that makes my wallet hurt). Until now they didn't have any sizable zz plants under $30 so when I saw this one, I snatched it up! That being said, I know that what I consider a good deal for this store is probably just considered an average deal anywhere else - I've seen people post photos here of zz plants that they rescued from Walmart for like $5 or something crazy.

• tlbean2004
    8 years ago

Yeah, you can usually get a very nice sized pot of the ZZ plant for 10-11 bucks at walmart or lowes. Be sure to let the soil dry out completely before you water it.

• Photo Synthesis
    8 years ago

Mine has grown larger since I first bought it back in spring. It still has the original leaflets that they were started from. As long as they continue to photosynthesize and provide energy, the plants won't shed them. But just like Al mentioned, when they become more of a liability, the plant will recycle the chlorophyll and other nutrients from them and reuse them in other areas of the plant, eventually shedding those leaflets in the process.

I think that since mine has been outside all season long, receiving the maximum amount of light that is tolerable (without getting sunburned), my ZZ has decided to hang on to those leaflets for the time being. Because they still receive ample amounts of light to photosynthesize. But once I finally bring it back indoors for the winter, it will no longer keep them around, due to the lower amounts of light from being indoors. I usually just let them wither up on their own, after the plants have finished extracting whatever chlorophyll and other nutrients from it that can be used elsewhere. By then, the dead leaflets will naturally separate from the rest of the plant when you gently pull on them.

This holds true for all plants that are in the process of shedding leaves. This is why trees change color in autumn. :)

kelli thanked Photo Synthesis
  • kelli
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Perfect, thanks guys! Just the answers I was looking for. I gave the yellow leaf a light tug but it doesn't seem ready to come out yet. If it persists and starts visually degrading, I might just cut it down to the soil line so it's not as much of an eye sore.

AI, I wish I grew this whole plant from a few leaves! Alas, it was recently store bought. Maybe one day, but from what I understand about ZZ plants, growing one of this size from leaf propagation might take the better part of a decade!

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    8 years ago

Yes - they're a living lesson in patience. Hard to hurt them unless you over-water. I read a little excerpt once in which a greenhouse owner described keeping one in his office in poor light and kept track of how much it would tolerate - I guess just for giggles. He said that he only watered 16 times in 6 years & never fertilized. THAT, is a determined plant! Strange that I remembered that because it's been years since I read it.

Al

• kelli
    Original Author
    8 years ago

A very determined plant, indeed. I'm already very fond of it :)

• Judy (z-9. Bay Area)
    8 years ago

I see you live in the Bay Area, go to Ikea, they have 6 in pots for $8.99, I have about 20 large ones from there...enjoy

• kelli
    Original Author
    8 years ago

You're kidding me! Thanks for the tip

• Sans2014
    8 years ago

Judy what else do you grow?

Nice looking plant good luck with it Kelli !

Fred

• Judy (z-9. Bay Area)
    8 years ago

ZZ way to many, Sans started about 6mos ago and have many different ones, A Violets, Bamboos.. At last count about 157 ... All in my 2 br. Apt.!!!! HoarderVille at is best!

• laticauda
    8 years ago

Am I the only person who hasn't counted their plants? I wonder if my husband has counted my plants.

• GreenLarry
    8 years ago

Counting my plants? What am I, an accountant? ;)

• Photo Synthesis
    8 years ago

Some questions are better left unanswered. That way, we can still live in denial about even having a problem. I was out in my backyard releasing a caterpillar into the woods, and I looked back towards my house and thought to myself, "[Censored Expletive], I have a lot of plants! Where am I going to put all of them when it gets too cold outside?" lol Then, today, I went and bought yet another plant. A beautiful "Hawaiian Sunshine" dracaena that one of my local garden centers just got in. They were still unboxing them when I snatched the best looking one up, HaHa.

• laticauda
    8 years ago

My husband has explained to me very logically that it is technically impossible to count the plants.

what constitutes "one plant" is it each species? Each pot? Some pots have multiple species and I have multiple specimens of multiple plants which some were ultimately at one point....all one plant.

So at what point exactly does one plant become two?