Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

Waterhog mats - worth the $$?

IdaClaire
8 years ago

You're probably going to tell me they ARE (if you have one), right? I'm **this close** to ordering, but can't quite turn loose of $40 for something to wipe feet on. This will be for right inside our front entry. I had a similarly styled mat that I picked up at Target in that location, but even with its smooth rubber (?) backing, it slid all over the place on our engineered wood flooring. It almost sent me AND two guests flying this past weekend, so it was relegated to the back porch.

I do like the looks of the Waterhog, particularly in this design ...

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/86970?feat=514000-cprrtop

I'd get it in brown to blend with the floor.

Sooooo ... worth the price? Anything else that works just as well for less money?

Comments (29)

• rosesstink
    8 years ago

I own three. And, yes, worth the price - which even cheap me doesn't consider outrageous. They last practically forever. And will last forever if you take them up on their guarantee. I've read about them honoring the guarantee on boots and jackets returned after decades of use. (I would never do that.)

IdaClaire thanked rosesstink
  • justgotabme
    8 years ago

I wasn't able to see the rug, as LLBEAN site is down for maintenance, so I searched for the rug. Nit sure I'd the style or size, but found these.

http://afm.waterhogfloormats.com/waterhog-classic-mats/

• algeasea
    8 years ago

We have two outside the front and back doors. They're warhorses. Not the prettiest, but they're super sturdy, and, after twelve years, still in great shape. Now if we could just get the dogs to wipe their feet ... .

• gramarows
    8 years ago

Make sure your doors allow for the 3/8" needed clearance. I can't access your link nor justgotabme's, but the Waterhog's website offers several patterns and grip tape where needed.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for the replies. If you have one, does yours have the rubber or fabric border?

• Sueb20
    8 years ago

We had one in our mudroom, and under our dogs' bowls, for a long time, but I have to tell you they're not pretty. Although...the one you linked to looks a lot nicer than the one we had. I am just not sure if I'd put one in my front entry. And I know I can say this to you because you like nice things just like I do!

They DO last forever, though. I finally got rid of mine just because, well, it wasn't pretty. But you know what? My "pretty" alternative doesn't work great at all, so I may have to go back to function over form. Sigh.

• amck2
    8 years ago

I have them at 3 entrances here (13 yrs old) and 2 at the lake (8yrs). Bought them for my DD as housewarming gifts (5 yrs). They all still look like new.

Are they beautiful? No. But our wood floors are! despite our harsh winters & mud seasons ;)

I won't claim they enhance the space, but they do seem to disappear - ours are closer to wood tones, not in accent colors.

I would buy them again in a heartbeat. Worth the cost IMHO.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

If you have dogs with long coats, these mats are like Velcro. Incredibly difficult to vacuum. I live with an Australian Shepherd. Love her like crazy, but not the LLBean water hog mat. We have a long runner in our front hall. It slides all over the tile floor. I'm still looking for an alternative.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    8 years ago

As 'mom' to 4 dogs, I have one under their water bowl which I couldn't live without. I also have 3 long runner style in the basement which they travel across to go in and out through their doggie doors. Mine also are close to the floor color and I wouldn't be without them. Function over from in this case, for me, but I don't think they are all that unattractive.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I don't think they're all that unattractive either, especially if the more or less blend in with the flooring. I'm really concerned now with buying something that doesn't slip and slide. My heart sank when my guests slipped on the mat I had in front of the door recently. It just sort of gave way beneath them as they were stepping to go out. I'm not sure about putting gripper tape or anything beneath the mat that could potentially damage the flooring either. I do have a mat right outside the front door, but feel like there needs to be foot-wiping going on both outside AND immediately inside.

• User
    8 years ago

All of my indoor rugs have pads underneath ... even the indoor/outdoor one at the kitchen sink. No sliding.

• amck2
    8 years ago

CindyMac, I simply have to comment on your cats - Beautiful!!

• Penelope
    8 years ago

I see you can hose them off; how hard is it to get off...uh....biological messes? We have two indoor/outdoor cats who like to bring us the trophies from their hunting, sometimes intact, sometimes in pieces. Disgusting, for sure, and I'd been thinking I need something easier to clean than the sisal mat I've got now. Do repeated hosing and scrubbing lessen their non-stick features?

• pamghatten
    8 years ago

I also have a large one many years old by the back door, out to the yard and gardens. Wouldn't have anything else in that space, it was well worth the money and has lasted a long time. I looked at your link and didn't realize they had so many varieties and shapes these days. Thanks!

• theclose
    8 years ago

I have one outside my front door. I looked and looked for something fabulous. I had a coir mat with our initial, which faded in a few months and looked awful. Anyway, got the LL Bean waterhog with interlocking circles pattern and I really like it. It doesn't move at all and does the job. I am still on the hunt for a rug in my entryway...

• Sueb20
    8 years ago

Oh right, Seagrass reminded me, the dog fur got stuck in the mat and wouldn't come out with vacuuming. Maybe hosing them might have worked? Problem here is that our hoses are not in use for about 1/2 the year... But thanks, Jen, now you've got me thinking about a new mudroom rug.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ha, Sue!

I doubt a Waterhog would collect much fur at our front door. The cats have chosen the landing at the top of the stairs to be their "Let's Fur This UP!" place in the new house, it seems. I kinda wish LL Bean had a size between the Medium and the Large. The first would probably work fine for my foyer, but could stand to be a teensy bit larger - but not as big as the Large.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    8 years ago

Check Amazon, although they may not have the leaf design you want. Mine are completely non-slip, to ease your mind there. They're quite heavy for their size.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, My3dogs. I'll do that!

• blubird
    8 years ago

I've had a large one in my laundry room which leads outside for years. I have to agree that dog hair gets trapped in them and they're not easy to vacuum. Because I have a large one, I try to drag it out once or twice a year to wash it outside, but it's heavy. I find mine does slip despite its size

• tinam61
    8 years ago

I agree that these look like something I would use outside the door, not on the inside. In a mudroom or laundry room, basement, etc. they would be fine. I would put something prettier on the inside.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I still haven't pulled the trigger on buying the Waterhog. I'm now thinking maybe I WOULD rather have something more decorative at the front entry. I like this wool rug ($50 + the cost of a gripper). We had a similar wool piece at the front door of our previous home but tossed it after our late cat peed it all up. It was easy to care for before sweet ol' Tiger ruined it though.

Lovely kitties, Cindy!

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I just ordered this one ... Really love it, and think it will complement our artwork in the foyer nicely. It's a bit lighter than I was planning to go, but I still think it will be fine since we do have a mat outside as well that will catch the majority of the shoe crud.

• Sueb20
    8 years ago

Oh, that's way prettier than a Waterhog mat!

IdaClaire thanked Sueb20
  • User
    8 years ago

Good choice!

IdaClaire thanked User
  • lionors
    8 years ago

So I clicked on the link to see the patterns. The thumbnail of the herringbone was appealing, so I clicked on that. It's herring-BONE. Hahaha. I am easily amused.

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I never even noticed the herring-BONE! That's adorable!

• Harveybax
    6 years ago

I just bought two herring-bone mats and two larger everyspace mats. I do realize I will be able to see the dog hair but our three dogs are in and out of the doggy door chasing squirrels all day and bring in a lot of dirt after digging but I do love the pups very much. Hopefully this will help control the dirt they bring into the house but it's nice to read the comment about placing a mat underneath it to keep it in place. I'll get back to you and let you know how they work. I'm still waiting on two which will arrive tomorrow. I bought them in sage and they are nice looking.