Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jencheers

Something missing from our dream bathroom. But what?

jencheers
8 years ago

We have finally moved into our house and have the bathroom we've always wanted, but something seems missing. Artwork on the wall next to the closet door? Ottoman? Something else? Thank you for any help and suggestions.

Comments (34)

• Brandi Nash Hicks
    8 years ago
    A fluffy nice rug and accessories, something that sparkles in silver would help
    jencheers thanked Brandi Nash Hicks
  • Elle
    8 years ago

I think artwork on the wall to the left of the closet and a chandelier above the tub would make a big difference.

jencheers thanked Elle
  • Stacey
    8 years ago
    A simple relaxed roman shade in a pretty fabric on the window and some nice fluffy bath rugs. Candles by the tub. Beautiful!
    jencheers thanked Stacey
  • hayleydaniels
    8 years ago

Art work on the wall. Maybe a large oversized picture made from one of your favorite photos...

Decor Demon's Loft · More Info

Family Room · More Info

Contemporary House in Saint Lambert By René Desjardins · More Info

jencheers thanked hayleydaniels
  • jencheers
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I love all of these ideas. Thank you very much!

• teamaltese
    8 years ago
    Get some pretty colored containers, art work, a couple of orchids, fluffy mats, thick towels. If there is a central electrical box, a pretty, sparkly chandelier, you have the space for it.
    jencheers thanked teamaltese
  • BeenAroundtheBlock
    8 years ago

No fluffy bathmats, please. Go with a very large striking rug.

jencheers thanked BeenAroundtheBlock
  • teamaltese
    8 years ago
    @Beenaround problem with a rug is getting it wet, if it doesn't dry completely, you can have mold problems. Bath mats, fuzzy or not, get thrown in the wash. We had a large teak rug in the bath, small pieces of teak alternating with openings not and even with the openings, we got mold.
  • Maureen
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

A bench in the middle of the room (handy for towels, robes to be placed on and for sitting). You can add a natural fiber rug under the bench that isn't too wide so you aren't stepping on when you are wet. Adding linen roman blinds will warm up the room and a distressed wood ladder to hold your towels (placed next to the closet), an orchid and a soy candle or two on the window ledge. Think about a zen type room when making your selections..white bamboo towels and natural elements for a restful retreat. Enjoy your new home.

Edina 4 · More Info

Selah Residence · More Info
    Shoo-Foo Bamboo Spa Towel 3-Piece Set, 600 GSM, Natural Creamy Off-White, No Dye · More Info

jencheers thanked Maureen
  • teamaltese
    8 years ago
    Www.aquateak.com has some beautiful teak benches. We have one in our shower. If you have the room for it, a small chaise, to lounge on while doing hair or facial treatments would be luxurious.
  • jencheers
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow! You've all provided such great suggestions. Thank you so much. I'm excited to search for additions once we get to a place that has more that 1,000 people. :) I think we may have enough space. The tiles are 12"x24" so between the bath and shower there is about 7'.

• PRO
    DeCocco Design
    8 years ago

I didn't read the previous answers, so forgive me if I repeat. It's a beautiful bathroom, but so far all hard surfaces. You need textiles-rugs, towels, window treatment. And some texture. Everything looks smooth. And since it's a large space, keep the proportions big! Have fun with it.

jencheers thanked DeCocco Design
  • PRO
    Design Directives, LLC
    8 years ago

It is a very nice bathroom - spacious and bright. I think you need something on the window, maybe a roman shade in a woven material like a Conrad product. A rug or a pair of runners would also add color and texture. I could see a nice piece of colorful art on the wall above the tub, and maybe some pretty bath accessories on the tub deck and the counter tops.

jencheers thanked Design Directives, LLC
  • pdk920
    8 years ago

It's a large space with hard surfaces. Some shelves or art on the wall, some soft textures (towels, mats, a seat with washable cushion, a few bright accents would help tie those visually distant points together.

jencheers thanked pdk920
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

jencheers thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • jencheers
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Beautiful! Thank you!!

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

Well these items might work if you want 'something missing' from you bathroom and have the space. The last tw pics are of a very romantic room, but think about the items in the room and translate them to decor now in 2015.

An upholstered bench which you can have made to size to fit the room and upholstered in Sunbrella indoor/outdoor fabric.

Northhaven Residence 3 · More Info

An interesting Chandelier over the bench. I couldn't resist the bubble chandy! You can see the whole thing reflected in the mirror. Modern and fun!!!

AK Penthouse · More Info

Also some building codes will not let you put electricity over a tub, but you could find a chandelier that was candles only if you have your heart set on over the tub, but over the bench could work nicely too. Art work that fills that far wall; either uber big as is the trend now or a pair that work nicely too.

Some beautiful silk flowers on a tiny table, so on trend now, in a shiny vase by the tub.

Or green plants on the tub ledge by the window for a living thing in the bath.

SM Master Bath · More Info

A tall eterge full of soft fluffy pretty colored towels that you use every day that will instantly soften the room.

Rie · More Info

Robe hooks for fluffy soft robes for after bath that will lend intimacy to the room and look good too.

Tiny towel rods rings for hand towels at the sink area.

Traditional Bathroom · More Info

Master Bathroom Remodel · More Info

Would you want to do all of these? Probably not but it might get you thinking out of the box.

It is you bathroom and it should please you no end.

jencheers thanked Susan Davis
  • PRO
    Mark Van Osdol/Van Osdol Ceramic Tile Inc
    8 years ago

A flat screen tv on a swing mount.

jencheers thanked Mark Van Osdol/Van Osdol Ceramic Tile Inc
  • PRO
    Vincent L. Stella Architect LLC
    8 years ago

Better light fixtures would help, possibly track distribution, some mirror reflective surface

some sculpture and or artwork on walls....good luck!

jencheers thanked Vincent L. Stella Architect LLC
  • jencheers
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The photo showed the angle that I feel needs the most work, but there are currently mirrors in the bathroom (even though the original photo doesn't show it). Should I add more?

• Maureen
    8 years ago

Not sure where else you are referencing, other than the back wall as there isn't a need to add anything elsewhere. A large piece of artwork and look for a frame that duplicates your mirrors and art that is graphic but has subtle/natural colors. You could add a poof next to the tub. Another thought is to add pebble tiles up the middle of the wall centered to the tub and even add a slab of wood to rest your bath salts, etc on. Either look would be nice if you used teak mats at the tub and shower (see below)

Our home · More Info

Putney, Loft Conversion · More Info

Major Renovation San Jose · More Info

jencheers thanked Maureen
  • jencheers
    Original Author
    8 years ago

So great! Thank you!!!!

• Lila
    8 years ago

I small round table beside the tub (possibly mirror top) to hold a glass of wine!

jencheers thanked Lila
  • David Cavanaugh
    8 years ago
    Your mirrors are too small. Add mirrors that are the length of the vanities minus about 8". Find mirrors with interesting frames. You don't have to sped a lot. You can find some good options at Homegoods, consignment shops and outlet stores. The mirrors don't have to be "bathroom" mirrors.
    jencheers thanked David Cavanaugh
  • Denise Marchand
    8 years ago

You did a beautiful design with your bathroom. Now is the fun part, adding your personality! We all agree the back wall needs to be layered to add interest and texture. Here are some pics for inspiration below.

1) For that back wall: Tile the entire wall, including around the door - pebbles, stacked stone, or three dimensional tiles. Even painting that wall a color will help, as in the pale blue wall in the pic below.

2) Add open shelves in front of tiles. Could be a narrow "tower" of niches (the width of the space between the tub and door) and on the left of the tower the floating shelves. The shelves can be any material - raw wood, hi gloss paint, the same tile as your floor.

3) Even if you do not need something on the window for privacy, an interesting treatment such as an open laser cut panel, simplified plantation shutter, or a linen roman shade.

4) Add a small occasional table next to the tub. jossandmain.com has small tables all the time. Look for one that is sculptural. Instead of a table, it can be an African bench on the side of the tub.

5) I have a love/hate relationship with a rug in the bathroom. Sometimes I like the warmth it creates and sometimes I just like the clean smoothness of a tile floor. Whatever your preference.

Let us know what comments you respond to. We love to be included in your choices.

TILE, STACKED STONE OR COLOR PAINT:

FLOATING SHELVES & NICHES

WINDOW TREATMENTS

THE WINDOW TREATMENT BELOW IF PAINTING BACK WALL, NOT WITH STONE OR TILE AS WILL BE TOO BUSY.

jencheers thanked Denise Marchand
  • jencheers
    Original Author
    8 years ago

A table to hold a glass of wine? I like the way you think, Lila! :-)

• jencheers
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you, Denise! I love the photos and the clear guidance. Much appreciated!!!

• PRO
    Fenstermann LLC
    8 years ago

You need COLOR! All the colors are so much blend in, what makes the dream bathroom kinda boring. As some pros and members mentioned before, a colorful painting, a fun bath rug or accent pieces will make a huge difference. Please post your update photos - I am actually anxious to see your dream bathroom coming alive. The best of Luck

jencheers thanked Fenstermann LLC
  • PRO
    Business_Name_Placeholder
    8 years ago

I would suggest a small palmtree (max. 1.70 m) next to de headside of the tub and besides that, as some others suggested one or two shelves (maybe glass ones) not to far from the place you need one filled with big fluffy bathtowels and so ...., a nice place where you can put a glass of wine or things you like to use getting a nice bath. And a great piece of art, or anything you love to look at to enjoy while taking some you-time in nice warm en lovely smelling water.

jencheers thanked Business_Name_Placeholder
  • PRO
    Kim Nielsen Interiors
    8 years ago

large piece of soothing abstract art, an ottoman or bench, accessories,a fluffy rug and you are good to go! Contact me if you need help.

jencheers thanked Kim Nielsen Interiors
  • PRO
    Custom Home Planning Center
    8 years ago

up light crown with warm led to light the ceiling will make your choices of finishing touches so much better

jencheers thanked Custom Home Planning Center
  • PRO
    Liz Duer Studio
    8 years ago

Rug, basket..maybe for towels. I think framed art work to match would be good to..See picture..Just a few home touches. If you need artwork feel free to check out my page I create contemporary abstracts. (Basket in pic is from Crate and Barrel)

jencheers thanked Liz Duer Studio
  • jencheers
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you for your suggestions! Here is my start: rugs and a towel rack between shower doors. I'm still looking for that perfect piece for the wall. Hopefully I find it soon!