Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorishopaholic

Area rug color and size help please!

lorishopaholic
8 years ago

I am looking for a area rug for our living room. I just bought this one online and it was a completely different color than described and pictured. I will be returning it but what do you think of the size? It is a 12x18 should I stick with that size or go smaller? I am replacing a 8x10 and it at least needs to be larger then it. I also am looking for color ideas. Thanks!

This picture is distorted as I was trying to show the rug so the horse picture does not look that disproportionate.

Comments (15)

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here are a few rug ideas I was looking at. What do you think?

Is this too bold for my room?
    Maybe more on the neutral side?

• goldendoodle56
    8 years ago

Just a quick comment that your room is gorgeous! You have the coffee table of my dreams...I live near a Restoration Hardware outlet and check periodically to see if one shows up there...

• amykath
    8 years ago

I have the blue one you show in the middle. I am not a fan in that the colors change and it is so thin. I am looking to replace it. Here it is in my dining area.

gw · More Info

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks! I really can't decide about this rug! I look at it and really like it at times and then other times it looks really brown and maybe too dark? So, to keep the large rug size I am limited so it would be between the current rug or the 3rd rug I posted above. Which do you think would compliment my room more? It's a large purchase so I just want to be sure. I do feel better sticking with neutral so it's something I would not have to change a year or so down the road.

• User
    8 years ago

I think you need some color in your new rug. I like the first one.

• User
    8 years ago

I really like the one you have both size and color wise. If you want to add more color to the room do it with accessories.

• roarah
    8 years ago

I love your room! I like the rug you have now. What is it that you are not liking about it?

• tibbrix
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Why not order a small size in the third one, then decide and return the one you don't want?

And get a good rug pad. I'd get the kind that has the non-skid on the bottom and felt on the top.

This one

• tuesday_2008
    8 years ago

I love the new rug! How would you describe the color..hard to tell on monitor. It looks gray/brown in one picture and mossy green in another. How does it show in person?

• ceezeecz
    8 years ago

I'm sure you realize this but oriental rugs look entirely different depending on which end you view it from. You could try rotating it 180° and see if that makes a difference. I really like it and think the size is perfect.

• User
    8 years ago

I think the rug matches too much. Given the size of the room and the other colors, the rug lends too much monochrome to the room. I think the size is right, though.

Out of the 3 alternatives, I don't think the 1st one can carry it off in your room. Rugs with just 2 colors (in this case, blue and ivory) are difficult to blend in a room that doesn't already contain at least one of those colors, IMO. The second would better, but I'd have to add some blue elements elsewhere in the room. The third one would be my choice, contains the right tones and offers enough contrast to the walls, drapery and furniture.

• olychick
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

To me, the current rug looks very monochromatic/brown in a very brown room, but if you like it, then it might be fine. I would love to
    see something with more colors to liven up the room a bit. Not sure any
    of your other choices are perfect because I don't think they meld the colors in them with the browns in your room.

I think the size looks fine, but think you could also have a smaller one if you placed your furniture a bit closer together. (this might be camera angle). It looks like no one can reach the coffee table easily, from the couch or chairs and the chairs seem a bit far from the couch for a conversation area.

I like the blues but would like to see a rug with some brown along with the blues (or other colors)... maybe along these lines.

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, I think that is the problem it is too matchy. The funny thing is my curtains are gray with a couple of different grays in them but with the rug it makes them look more brown. Minus the leather furniture everything else in the room has grey tones in it. So, weird how a rug can change the tone of everything. I will post more pics once I take the rug out of the room.

• theclose
    8 years ago

Love the size. Definitely think the rug should have more contrast/color. Out of the ones you posted, I like the first one, but really would find something else with more contrast.