Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kajanews

Should I paint my cabinets white?

kajanews
8 years ago
I would like for my kitchen to look more modern or transitional and not traditional, so I'm considering painting the cabinets white. My wall color will be SW 7015 - Repose Gray. I am also replacing the countertop with a quartz and changing the backsplash.

Q1. Should I paint the cabinets white, if so, the color will be "designer white" which is the same color as the door.
Q2. If I want a modern look, should I choose Silestone Blanco Orion or Silestone Blanco Maple (attached photo is Blanco Maple). I've read that the Blanco Orion is very busy but the Blanco Maple may look too old fashion or boring.
Q3. I am going to use a 12 X 6 glass tile for the backsplash, the color is grey - Pure Wool. Do you think this size is too big for such a small area?

Comments (12)

• kajanews
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Here's a picture that show's the kitchen floors.
  • emilyam819
    8 years ago

My personal opinions... Your cabinets are nice, so don't potentially ruin the finish by painting. The counter sample you posted would be very boring, especially with white cabinets. Might be good with the current cabinet color.

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    8 years ago

White counters with white cabinets is a strong modern feel to it. Especially with dark floors. If you want transitional and you want white cabs, you might want to think of butcher block counter tops.

One of the "themes" for transitional is crisp white with natural wood. The crisp white offers the modern, and the natural wood offers the traditional and at the end of the day, you get transitional.

A stronger, more modern concept would be the white on white with the dark floors. Painting out cabinets (these look like stained maple or cherry) should be done professionally to get the toughest surface with the most professional appearance.

I'm very fond of the white on white as well as the butcher block on white cabs. With the style of cabinet faces, the "transitional" look (butcher block counter top) would be easier to achieve if you paint. If you want a stronger, more modern look you may have to have the cabinets refaced with a different style of front.

• acm
    8 years ago

How about white or light gray cabinets and keep the current counter and backsplash?

• PRO
    Washington Marble Works
    8 years ago

Painting cabinets can be a big project. I would replace the countertop and backsplash first. I think the Silestone Orion Blanco with a light gray tile would make this space transitional. If that isn't enough change for you, I would paint the cabinets white.

• kajanews
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks - I am taking the advice to leave them as is - I will install new countertop and backsplash and see how that looks. I will post new pics next week.
  • sheilaskb
    7 years ago

The total-wall back splash looks nice, and it goes well with the dark cabinets and dark floor. However, I would suggest a smaller back splash area in a light, contrasting tile. Then, I would suggest you paint the wall area a chartreuse to add a fresh contrast to the neutrals in the color scheme.

• joanh123
    6 years ago
    A little late but just wanted to say I love the kitchen results! What a transformation! Really like the color contrast of the glass subway tiles...a nice change from the typical white tile. Are the counters the silestone blanco orion?
  • kajanews
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Joanh123 - the countertop is Bianco Drift quartz. I sold that house and remodeled another kitchen with white cabinets. I used the same countertop because I loved it and I used gray ceramic tile vs. glass tile.
  • Katherine Roman
    4 years ago

@kajanews Can you share the primer & paint you used? How many coats of each? Looks amazing and looking to do mine!

• kajanews
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I don’t know what primer was used but I selected Benjamin Moore paint, White Dove color for the cabinets.