Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
awest77

Master bath layout - tub placement

awest77
8 years ago
Is this a good layout for our master bath? Or is it weird to have the tub between the separate vanities? Suggestions?

Comments (19)

• awest77
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The vanities are each 48" and the tub should be 5' - sorry, that's not marked.

• shirlpp
    8 years ago

It is not weird to have the vanities where they are. I am thinking that your shower is too small - 4 feet long and 3 feet wide, is tight.

awest77 thanked shirlpp
  • awest77
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It was 3x3! I guess it's good that we are on the small side (I'm 5'4", he's 5'7").

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I like the layout, but be aware that the tub at 5' is not any larger in length than any standard tub. Many deck mounted soaking tubs start at about 6' in length. If you make the tub 6', having the vanities at 42" is a bad thing. Here are a few examples in different sizes.

awest77 thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Elle
    8 years ago

I wouldn't suggest having the toilet as the first thing you see when you open the door. I think it should be in a water closet where the shower is.

awest77 thanked Elle
  • bluedogdecorating
    8 years ago
    My question would be if the tub is really necessary. I would much rather have a large shower since I use that every day, and a separate water closet as previous commenter suggested. I personally can't recall the last time I used a tub for myself, and I know for most people they just end up as wasted space.
    awest77 thanked bluedogdecorating
  • awest77
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The tub is actually for me, I take baths pretty frequently (and that's in our crappy tub that is shared by the whole family), so I think I'll get good use out of it. :) I don't care if the toilet is in its own little room - it's the bathroom, meh. I did wonder about putting a pony wall up beside it, but probably just making the door swing toward it so you don't see it immediately would be enough.

@BeverlyFLADeziner thank you for those pictures! I was having the worst time visualizing it. Our tub will be 5 feet; I'm only 5'4" and it's for me. As long as I get one with ample knee room (soaking depth), I think it will be good. I'm between a drop-in, alcove, or freestanding option now. I think the freestanding one may look nicest, but they are pricey.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

awest77, find you tub first before you proceed because there will be a limited number of soaking tubs that are 5' long and deck mounted. Even going to 6' will provide you a larger selection.

awest77 thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • suzyq53
    8 years ago

Can you make the tub go longways? Then you'd have room for larger vanities.

awest77 thanked suzyq53
  • Elle
    8 years ago

I think your space is best maximized with vanities on left wall (right side of diagram) and toilet, shower, tub on right wall (left side of diagram). I have a bathroom set up like that and love it.

awest77 thanked Elle
  • rocketjcat
    8 years ago
    If this is a new build, and you keep the tub under the window, I suggest having the window mounted very close to the tub, so you're not looking into a wall, but out a nice window. And good idea about reversing the door swing, if you don't want a half wall around it, although I personally would prefer a half wall.
    awest77 thanked rocketjcat
  • Maureen
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I would switch the toilet so it sits in the small alcove and move the shower to the other side and make it as large as you can (and even add a bench). I would also opt for a larger tub (one below is georgous) and place the counter with double sinks along the wall (see below) and you'll be getting more counter and cupboard space and larger mirrors. Add a chair for your towel or bathrobe, which will be convenient to both shower and tub. Would sort of feel like the picture below, but counter wouldn't be as long, as toilet would be in the aclove in the lower right.

Classic Bath · More Info

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

Here is a bath layout used by one of the developers here in Florida. The room as illustrated is pretty large, but the layout could be reduced in size and a room could be established for the toilet.

• Elle
    8 years ago

I would definitely have a professional okay your final proposed floor plan to confirm the design can work well in your space.

awest77 thanked Elle
  • shirlpp
    8 years ago

I'm 5'8" tall, and I just measured my too small shower, and it is 47 inches long and 33 inches wide. I cannot stand the shower, because it is too small - just something to think about.

awest77 thanked shirlpp
  • PRO
    Dreambath Sanitaryware Factory
    6 years ago

We are a manufacturer producing freestanding bathtub.

• janedoe2012
    6 years ago
    Who created the layout? It doesn’t look as though it is to scale, and that concerns me. The vanities look much smaller than 48”.
  • woodteam5
    6 years ago

I like it. If the door is left open you see a beautiful tub. (I love soaking) I have the same size shower and it is comfortable and warm and my 6' husband likes it too. The toilet is far enough away from the door and low, you wont notice it as you walk in (I know this because my toilet is set up the same and I don't even notice it). I like the two 48" sinks. I like it all. But more important, is if you like it.