Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pippiep

Can I stain pine cabinets darker?

8 years ago

We are moving into a house with pine kitchen cabinets that have been stained pretty dark, but they are streaky. They're actually nicer in person than in the photo; all the cabinets look the same, so at least they're uniformly streaky!

Can I stain these darker to an espresso color, or will it not work? Would paint work? If so, is there a paint that would work best? Thanks for any help!

Comments (12)

• 8 years ago

Pine is very hard to stain. Perhaps one of the gel stains, like someone recently posted for their updated kitchen.

• 8 years ago

They should have put a sealer on before staining to prevent the problem. Yes, you can try again, this is a big project in that all the old stuff needs to come off first...

• 8 years ago

If you use gel stain (which is more like a paint), it should work. I'd get a small can of General Finishes and give it a try. The pro is that only minimal sanding is required.

• 8 years ago

1 - Just thoroughly clean them (first a non-oily soap and scrub them with those fiber scrub sponges, then mineral spirits and fine steel wool to remove any greasy residue) and use General finishes in any dark color.

I have found that wiping on several thin coats with a soft cloth is easier to control than slathering it on and trying to wipe it off evenly.

2 - Consider glazing them with a pale stain to get a distressed "beachy" look. Minwax makes a nice light grey, or you can use diluted light grey paint.

3 - You could also paint them with any good interior paint - clean them well, sand them lightly and use a good primer, such as this "gripper" primer. Then paint with a good interior wood paint.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Glidden-Professional-1-gal-Gripper-White-Primer-Sealer-GPG-0000-01/100166028

• 8 years ago

I would definitely try the Gen finishes Java gel stain....you will most likely only need one coat and one coat of poly.....You can get it on Amazon

• 8 years ago

Thanks! I was hoping that the GF gel stain would work. We have to take off a chunk of cabinet to fit a new fridge, so I'll have some of the stained wood to test on.

I really hope it works, because we need to reconfigure/remove the peninsula at some point because the range is right in the elbow. It would be easier to do if I know I can move our existing cabinets around and add to them if needed. I need another foot of space to the left of the range, or replace the peninsula with an island.

• 8 years ago

Lavender_lass, I've had a more successful result using gray stain first, then a darker on top. I've tried both ways, but the truly more natural look comes with gray first. Oak, cherry, maple and monkeywood, which I think is acacia.

If painting, which was another suggestion, clean them as discussed, the use a liquid sandpaper on them. It is SOOOOO (did I mention SOOOOO) much easier than sanding. Put your elbow grease into cleaning the years off of them, first.

Keep in mind gel stain is pretty much paint. You can go darker, but not lighter with any success.

If you want to remove the stain pretty much completely, use Citristrip. I've sucked the stain (hmmm that didn't come out right) out of oak, maple and cherry to raw wood.

• 8 years ago

I think if you follow the directions on GF and prep appropriately on a test piece you will be pleased...if not happy after first coat...let dry 24 hrs and try another coat.....

• 8 years ago

Btw...the stuff is like pudding when you apply. Some folks recommend using A mans white sock to apply

• 8 years ago

how old are they.....I would probably sand/prime/paint. They have detail.....a great color and new hardware would look nice and good paint and whatever topcoat is preferred these days would "toughen" them up which would be a bonus. Or maybe get someone to strip them and go ahead with the priming and painting. Hard to tell if they have some old varnish on them...there is a little gloss showing on one of the doors. Just figure out what you are dealing with in making your decision.

• 8 years ago

They're from 1978, and my husband thinks they've been finished all that time. We'll have to analyze more once we move in, but I wanted to do some preliminary research to at least hope we have a plan to make them better, without needing to replace them.

• 8 years ago

Just remember nothing is that hard. Start with your staining project, because you can always paint stain.