Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skyylark

How is the White Macauba quartzite holding up?

skyylark
8 years ago
I've been in a dilemna over choosing a countertop. The more I do research, the more I am confused! I love the look of White Macauba although I yet have to see actual slabs. Did you have to seal the quartzite? And how does it hold up to heat, spills and scratches? I love what you've done in this kitchen!
White Macauba Mined Quartzite Countertops · More Info

Comments (16)

• Dianne Adams
    7 years ago

I'm not an expert, but do know that quartzite is one of the most durable surface out there. I just installed white macaubas in my kitchen and gotta say ITS GORGEOUS! I had a tough time finding the "perfect slab" but in the end it was well worth the search. I would just advise to make sure when selecting your slab that it has no epoxy repairs ;). I've only seen that twice but ... Good luck!!!

• Netty
    7 years ago

Do you have any pictures you can post? Would like ve to see yours. Also, what would an epoxy repair look like?

• Netty
    7 years ago

Just picked out my slabs of White Macaubas. CAN'T WAIT to see it installed!

• Dianne Adams
    7 years ago

I will try to get some pics to you. I had mine installed about 4 days ago. It is BEAUTIFUL!!! However, one of the workers got grease on it and it stained! Needless to say, I am VERY upset with the plumber at the moment :(.

• patacarter
    7 years ago

I'm considering White Macaubas for kitchen and island countertops, but am hesitant after reading all the forums. I saw a crosscut slab today that was beautiful. I'm more than willing to seal the countertops as often as needed, but I don't want to constantly worry about someone setting a drink or purse or something down. Does anyone love their White Macaubas? Do you wish you had chosen granite? Thanks.

• Dianne Adams
    7 years ago

It's gorgeous, but I'm having serious staining issues. I'm constantly using poltice (a stain remover highly recommended). Can't cook in my kitchen without covering everything up and wiping it down every second. Any type of oil/grease stains immediately. I would not recommend this stone :(. Hopefully other's have had a better experience??? I was told it's highly durable... not my experience. Seems worse than marble!

• PRO
    Business_Name_Placeholder
    7 years ago

I had some installed last year and my (very large) island piece literally crumbled into pieces as they went to install it. I quickly changed gears but left the remaining macaubus on the perimeter countertops while we waited for something else, and anything that touched it causes cracks and damage. I think we got a horribly bad lot, but I was not willing to roll the dice with it again. A neighbor has since put it in and already has two large chunks missing--one where a pan hit the edge of her sink and another on her island. It is touted to be stronger than granite but that certainly does not seem to be the case in these (unrelated) instances. LOVE the look so much, but don't think a lot of batches are strong enough for countertops.

• ljbwilk
    6 years ago

Wow, I had been considering White Macaubus because they said it won't stain like marble but reading your experiences makes me re-think the whole thing!

• Netty
    6 years ago
    I've had mine for a while now and, knock on wood, think I must have gotten couple of good slabs. I love it!
  • Dianne Adams
    6 years ago

Update - After calling in numerous professionals mine was not sealed properly! We've since had it resealed with no issues and LOVE it!

• vangonz39
    6 years ago

what brand of sealant did you use? just got my countertop yesterday and it is already stained from some pastry we left .

• ljbwilk
    6 years ago

The first photo, below, is the lot we bought yesterday. It is the lightest White Macaubas I could find and I went to three different suppliers and saw at least 7 different lots.

The second photo is from Bedrock International in St. Louis and I believe they still have two slabs left in the same lot. I decided against them (even though they were cheaper) because the veining was not as subtle and it varied a lot (so one side of the slab had very subtle veining whereas the other side of the slab looked like almost a different stone). Also, one of the slabs had a pretty serious blemish-- a yellowish spot about the diameter of a grapefruit.

The third photo is from Global also in St. Louis. Global had a fair amount of slabs in several different lots. They were very beautiful -- I decided them against them only because I want more subtle veining.

• ljbwilk
    6 years ago

Oh yeah, I forgot to add. I asked the guy who seemed very knowledgable at Bedrock if he thought the Quartzite was worth the additional cost in terms of durability. He said definitely and I frankly do not think he had any reason to benefit from giving me biased advice because the other stone we were considering Calacatta (at least-- if we went with Bedrock) and actually more expensive.

• Dianne Adams
    6 years ago

It's been a while now and I can't remember what sealer we used. I'll ask and get back to you.

• vangonz39
    6 years ago

Thank you!!