Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
8260rm

Double ovens with microwave on top.

8260rm
8 years ago

I'm remodeling my kitchen and have run into the 'challenge' of stacking the microwave and double ovens which would put the bottom of my MW at 59" from the floor (I'm 5'6"), or breaking up the symmetry of the bottom cabinets if I go with a MW drawer (I would have to modify size of cabinets on one side of the stovetop to allow for the mw drawer. Would lose a tray divider and the cabinet drawers would be smaller on one side.) Keep symmetry and have a high MW, or forgo symmetry and have a more comfortable MW access?? My cabinet maker says keep the high MW but he admits he's biased on symmetry. your advice?

Comments (19)

• cpartist
    8 years ago

If you prefer to have function, then do the microwave drawer. Or do you have an island you can put the drawer into?

If you prefer form, then do the microwave above the oven. I am not much of a cook, but I personally would still prefer function over form.

Can we see a floor plan with the cabinets and maybe there's another solution?

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I don't believe in symmetry in kitchen design - I do believe in balance. I also hates having a too-high microwave in my last two places. So now I have a microwave drawer in a 10' island - 18" drawers, 24" micro, 6" space for electrical outlets, 36" drawers, 36" drawers. Works perfectly for me.

• 8260rm
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you. I do have an island but because I have a sitting area and the dishwasher there, I can't put the MW there.

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Can you post your floor plan? I personally dislike angled islands as i think you actually lose workable space for things like the DW and MW. :) You might have room if you straighten it out, but we need to see an actual floor plan. :)

• 8260rm
    Original Author
    8 years ago

This is my floor plan. The island is an already existing island..

• Errant_gw
    8 years ago

Mine is above my double ovens. I don't really consider 5'10" to be Shaq tall, but a short person probably wouldn't like where I've placed it. For our family, it is not a problem.

8260rm thanked Errant_gw
  • Chanop
    8 years ago

You can also lower the double oven installation a bit. I have a compact wall oven at 18" height installed at bench top level and a microwave above it. The bottom of the microwave is at 54". I am 5'11" and my wife is around 5'6". She hasn't been having any trouble with microwave access.

8260rm thanked Chanop
  • dcward89
    8 years ago

How much do you use your microwave? If you use is every day then having it high is going to be an inconvenience every single day. If it is rarely used, like ours then I would put it in the high spot. Our microwave is used so rarely that I refused to give up counter or drawer space for it. It is in the basement and for the once a year my DH wants microwave popcorn he can walk downstairs for it.

8260rm thanked dcward89
  • eam44
    8 years ago

Using a MW drawer is still your best option, just use a lower cabinet on the periphery, perhaps next to the oven stack.

8260rm thanked eam44
  • cpartist
    8 years ago

so what you are saying is you're redesigning the perimeter cabinets but not touching the island?

8260rm thanked cpartist
  • cpartist
    8 years ago

another question. When you need to unpack groceries, where will you put the bags since there is no landing space near the fridge?

• lisaag98
    8 years ago

I had the microwave above double ovens in our last house. I am 5'6" and had no issue getting things out of the microwave, but I can see where this would be problematic for a shorter person or a child. My bigger issue was getting heavy, hot pans out of the lower oven, which was quite low to the ground to accommodate the entire stack.

8260rm thanked lisaag98
  • 8260rm
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you all for you comments. Really appreciate your input. Still thinking about it, both options would work and both have pro's and con's. From the comments I guess no one really sees an issues with breaking up, or losing current cabinet space, to accommodate the MW drawer.

• User
    8 years ago

I really like our under counter microwave. We use it almost every day, and the convenience can't be beat.

Seriously, DH and I are probably most happy with this choice. The whole area just came together in such a functional way.

• AquaLove
    8 years ago

Can you put the microwave to the right of the ovens, on a shelf under the upper cabinet?

8260rm thanked AquaLove
  • sprtphntc7a
    8 years ago

how about the miele speed oven instead of MW?? get a single full size oven and the Miele speed oven on top of full size oven. that way, u still have 2 ovens with the convenience of a MW also....we have it and love the set-up.

8260rm thanked sprtphntc7a
  • sprtphntc7a
    8 years ago

P.S. this also saves valuable cabinet space..

• 8260rm
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you everyone for your input! Really do appreciate all the comments.

I can't put the MW to the right of the ovens. I run into a corner and the access to that end corner cabinet is the door next to the ovens.

The double ovens are a done deal, as they were purchased a year ago and I wouldn't want to change them now. I think my two options do come down to either the high position or the MW drawer and modify bottom cabinets.