Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
holly_kurtz

This or that? Please vote.

Holly- Kay
8 years ago

I am working on a bathroom refresh. Our master bath is small, 9 x 6. I have been driving myself nutso trying to decide on lighting. I have narrowed it down to two but I can't pull the trigger on either. As soon as I'm sure I'll choose one of them I tug in the opposite direction to the other one.

This:

http://www.houseofantiquehardware.com/Metropolitan-Single-Nickel-Sconce?sc=9&category=309078

Or

That:

http://www.lightingnewyork.com/product/hudson%2Dvalley%2Dlighting%2Dkeswick%2Dbathroom%2Dlights%2D1971%2Dpc.html?page=3&q=%2A

What sways me towards the Metropolitan is the polished nickel finish, the overall look, and most especially the shade on it.

What sways me towards the Keswick is the beautiful simplicity of the fixture, and the overall appearance. I like the polished chrome finish but prefer a polished nickel finish. The Keswick is available in nickel but it's a satin nickel and it just looks so dull in that finish.

Please vote on the two and please tell me why you prefer one over the other. And thank you so much for your help.

Comments (76)

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Jjam, believe me when I say the room is NOT show worthy. It is too small to get a pic that shows anything that would help in the decision process. I think Hudson Valley has some of the nicest br lighting I've seen plus it is solid brass construction but so is the Metropolitan light.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes Terri, not happening in my bathroom. Anything I do will be a huge improvement but I am not spending $800 for lighting in a bathroom that only I use. DH has his own bathroom and guests use the guest bathroom. I want it to be attractive but I have to admit when it comes to bathrooms I am a function over form kind of gal.

• User
    8 years ago

Holly, if it's your bathroom, put those feminine touches in and use the sconce you love. That's what I did for my bath. I used curves in the faucet and lights and did a more traditional style vanity with a pretty door style. It's a small bathroom too.

The first one reminds me of your bedroom with the shield mirrors and crystal lamps. It might be a little much if you say you want simple. I think you could find something pretty with a simpler back plate but with a feminine shade. I've seen beautiful sconces that are in the $200 range.

Holly- Kay thanked User
  • User
    8 years ago

Keswick!

Holly- Kay thanked User
  • Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Mayflower what counter top did you use? I was going to go with marble but I don't want something high maintenance. Kohler has an enamel over cast iron one piece top that I think would look pretty but still be practical. The size says it is 49+ inches and my current vanity is 48" so I may have to find something different.

• User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I used a light colored granite.

Have you looked at the Kohler Impressions ceramic counter and sink tops? They're really pretty. I had a thread in Baths about them last week. Can they not be used on vanities against a wall?

I bumped that thread for you. It was on page 3.

Holly- Kay thanked User
  • anele_gw
    8 years ago

I had the same thoughts as Mayflower. Knowing your style it seems the first would be more along the lines of your taste, but since you aren't sold on either, I suppose I would keep looking. I don't want to vote to tell you which one to like!

Holly- Kay thanked anele_gw
  • PRO
    MDLN
    8 years ago

Without a doubt the Hudson Valley Keswick, because of the wall plate, shape of shade and connecting part. Think it looks more classic and will match more decor styles. The metropolitan looks more traditional and seems a bit dated.

When looking for a vanity I think I was in every bath design store in the Chgo area, saw many that looked very similar to the Hudson Valley.

Holly- Kay thanked MDLN
  • Errant_gw
    8 years ago

The Keswick is beautiful. I was looking at the three light version for the bath I'm doing, but it's way out of my price range :(

Holly- Kay thanked Errant_gw
  • amykath
    8 years ago

I definitely prefer the Keswick. I love the simplicity of it.

Holly- Kay thanked amykath
  • sas95
    8 years ago

I also like the Keswick.

Holly- Kay thanked sas95
  • palimpsest
    8 years ago

I like the Keswick. I don't really have a problem mixing polished nickel and polished chrome. The tone of mirror glass is always that of polished chrome, and polished nickel can be mixed with that, there is a difference in warmth, I guess, but it doesn't bother me.

Holly- Kay thanked palimpsest
  • tibbrix
    8 years ago

If you're going for a more simple, clean-line look, how about something like these? Simple and elegant, IMO. I'm with emmarene and prefer sconces with shades that point up. Second is Hudson Valley

http://arcadianhome.com/s?f=polished+nickel+sconces

Holly- Kay thanked tibbrix
  • tibbrix
    8 years ago

traci_fromseattle, here is the sconce you asked about

http://arcadianhome.com/CP-1170PN-488

• User
    8 years ago

Take a look at the HV Weston. Clean, traditional styling with a pretty glass shade. Polished nickel and $170-ish on the internet.

http://www.hudsonvalleylighting.com/Item/4501-SN

Holly- Kay thanked User
  • Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Mayflowers, thank you so much for bumping my thread. I will look at the Kohler Impressions. I think the quality of my farmhouse sink is wonderful so that's why I thought of Kohler. When I searched at lightingnewyork again last night I saw the Weston. I do like it but prefer a non round version. I think one of the reasons the Metropolitan and the Keswick are at the top of my list is because the backplate isn't circular.

Pal, thank you! I really don't have a problem mixing finishes and never thought about the chrome and mirror glass both having the same tone. I do prefer the polished nickel but the Keswick looks wonderful in polished chrome.

Anele, yes the Metropolitan is more the style I usually prefer and I agree with Annie that it is very graceful. I think the reason I'm not able to pull the trigger on either is that the Metro is my style just fussier than I was envisioning. However it is my bathroom so feminine is fine. The Keswick though, is just a beautiful, simple light.

Tib, I really like the second sconce you posted on this latest round. In regards to sconces with shades that point up, I believe that the Keswick and the Metro can be installed either way. I think that having them point up may make the effective light given off too high but I suppose then the reverse is true.

Thank you to everyone for all your help. I am still at a loss. If you have any other bathroom lights that appeal to you please post them!

• just_terrilynn
    8 years ago

I mixed polished chrome and polished nickel in my master bath and am happy. For the countertop I have a low maintence marble with Quartz in it. I was lucky to find a slab that was damaged on one end so got the whole piece for $300 something (not including install).

Holly- Kay thanked just_terrilynn
  • User
    8 years ago

Are you okay with a fabric shade? I saw many styles that looked like Holly.

In the polished metals, I can see the yellow undertone of nickel and the blue undertone of chrome, so that influences me when I match it with the counter and other materials.

I bumped the thread in Bathrooms because it has the Kohler link, some photos, and some feedback. I have had no luck here finding remnants in a lighter granite and I really don't want marble or quartz. I actually put my master bath remodel on hold because I couldn't find a counter, but I love the Kohler tops.

Here's the thread. Would have linked last night but I was on my tablet.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/3433846/what-do-you-think-of-the-kohler-impressions-ceramic-countertops-sink?n=9

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you May! I am not wanting a linen shade in the bathroom. The second one that Tib posted in this go around has a linen shade, so though I like it a lot there is no way I could be happy with that one.

i went through thirty pages of bathroom lights on the lamps plus site and I just am not finding another contender at this point. I am leaning towards the Keswick because it is so simple yet lovely but darn I love the warmth of the metal and the glass shade on the Metro. I sure wish I could get the Keswick with the pn finish and the pretty Metro shade.

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

I would prefer the Keswick because the first one is too curly for my taste, and I also don't like the more fluted (?) shape of the shade; however, I think the Keswick is the kind of look that's trendy in my area right now.

Have you looked at http://www.rejuvenation.com/

Holly- Kay thanked nosoccermom
  • Holly- Kay thanked nosoccermom
  • Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    8 years ago

NSM, I was typing and missed your post in the last response. I think you have nailed the reason that I hesitate to go with the Keswick. I think it may be trendy and look dated quickly. OTOH, the Metro is probably already dated and I still really like it. I suppose I have to remember that I don't have to love every element in this room. After all it's used for my morning shower and getting ready for the day and then again at night to prepare for bedtime. Believe me anything will be a vast improvement over what is there now. The faucet is a really cheap polished brass look with fakey crystal handles. It looks like it came from a junk store. I abhor the bathroom sconces and the vinyl floor is just ugly. Throw in the dark trim everywhere and it is just a sad looking space.

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

In that case, I'd say go for what you like.

• User
    8 years ago

PN from RH. The curved backplate is different, it's got that knobby thing like the Keswick, and the shade is angular. It takes a 60 watt bulb. I don't know what the projection is but the side view might be a big selling point, if RH would only show it.

So those are adjustment keys and it has two of them.

https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1158097&categoryId=cat4980014

Found a little photo.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    8 years ago

Keswick for me too, as I like the style best and am also a Hudson Lighting fan.

• Errant_gw
    8 years ago

Have you looked at the Harvard from Murry Fiess? I think that is what I will be using in the three light version, since the Keswick is out of my budget.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    8 years ago

NSM, the Covington is very nice. I do like that it has accessories that go with the sconces. I purchased new items from Moen but they weren't terribly expensive and my DD could use them if I would decide on the Covington.

May, I really like the RH light. I love the fact that it is polished nickel and the side view is lovely but I really want to have the ability to use a higher wattage bulb. I'll have to check the wattage on the bulbs in my guest bath. I am pretty sure they are 60 watt and I never feel the light is bright enough in there.

Errant, the Harvard is a lovely sconce and a great alternative to the Keswick. Some of the three light options really get pricey.

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

Just stumbled on this one, HK. I'm getting this light in the pendant version for over my kitchen sink. Don't know until now it came in a sconce. Just love it. It is polished nickel.

http://www.1800lighting.com/Wilmette-Lighting-Company/Van-Buren/item.cfm?itemsku=600VBNWCN-CF

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Very pretty Tib. I am being so nit picky about this lighting. I want a globe or glass shade that won't create any reflections. I wonder if the design would distort the light? I love the beautiful prism reflections in my kitchen and breakfast area but not in the bathroom.

On another note. How is your kitchen planning going? I am so excited for you and anxious to see it evolve from idea to a working kitchen! You are in for some exciting times. Your hardware (candler) was one of the pulls I considered. It is beautiful!

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

Good point. I don't know how the light would cast from those shades. The description says that the ridges are to reduce glare. Pic below is of the pendants in a room. I love the silky sheen they seem to have.

I'm excited about the kitchen. Lining everyone up now, scheduling flooring guys, electrician, plumber... I'm really just replacing things, not renovating, per se. But it's going to be much more efficient and functional. Only thing left to decide is the countertop. I want wood, so I"m getting pricing now. Probably can't afford it. Boo hoo. Should be done the week before Christmas. Cabs don't come in until Dec. 7, and I'm scheduling everyone else around them. Yes, I love the simplicity and elegance of the Candler. I also love that is doesn't have a big projection, only 1.5". I want as little jutting out as possible.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    8 years ago

That is beautiful. The pendants do glow, they are lovely as pendants.

you may be surprised at how economical wood counters can be. My DD did a refresh of her kitchen and used cherry butcher block and sealed it with something to make it waterproof. It's so pretty. I like it better than my granite because it's so much warmer looking.

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

I replied to your email, btw, but it got sent back as undeliverable, so please don't think I was unresponsive!

Wood is really what I want, and according to the Web, it SHOULD be less than quartz and granite, but I think the reality is different. She shall see! My design guy warned me that his places are very pricey, and he knew the cost of the quartz counter I originally chose. The other place I went to, which would make the counters for me and I'd stain and seal them, also ain't cheap. I have always loved wood kitchen counters, though. Keeping my fingers crossed.

As for your lights, if those two are really the ones you're having a hard time choosing between, I think some people here made some good points, namely that the Keswick had the more simpler lines you seem to be going for. So maybe something as simple as that can help you make the decision. Or, keep looking, and "the one" will fit you like a bolt when you see it. That's what happened for me with this pendant. I had two others chosen, stumbled on this one, and right away I knew this was "the one".

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

Dare I mention IKEA solid wood counters? I was there a couple of days ago and couldn't take my hands of their darker stained counters, Karlby. (These are wood over plywood). I briefly talked to one of their designers who was setting up a new display, and she told me that she has the SOLID oak counters (Hammarp in oak) in her kitchen, which she stained with walnut.

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

TY, nsm. I did look at Ikea's wood counters. Unfortunately, I was born with the "beggars CAN be choosers" gene. In this case, I know I don't want end-grain counters. Hoping for planks.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Tib, I will ask my DD what company she used. It was actually, I believe, an on line site. She didn't even have to stain her cabinets. The sealant brought out the beautiful warm cherry tone in the wood.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Tib, if you go to msmustardseed.com and search for butcher block she used a gorgeous walnut and when you see how beautifully the ends were routed you may decide to go that route. I know if I ever remodel the kitchen at our house I am going to use painted cabs and wood counters. My DD's kitchen is so warm and inviting and I think the wood counters are partially responsible for that.

• amykath
    8 years ago

Tib, Here is what she posted as her source

Butcher Block Counters – Williamsburg Butcher Block Counters in Walnut from Lumber Liquidators ($359/8 ft section, $459/12 ft section)

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

Uh oh, sometimes ignorance is bliss. Now, of course, I need to look up what "end-grain" is and "ends [that] were routed."

Check this out. pine panels as counters

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

TY both. Still haven't heard back about the wood counters. Keeping fingers crossed. Have made a decision on paint, though - sort of. I got three samples today of saturated, darker paints. Just don't work in there, so I'm going with a light neutral. I think it will make the sage green cabs shine more as well as the ceiling beams. Between the ceiling beams, floor and the brick backsplash and the Hopefully wood counters, I think I'll have rustic covered!

Sorry for hijacking your thread, HK. Seems this has become the "Tibbrix's kitchen" thread! Need to put the kibosh on that!

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

btw, nsm, I did email the wordsmith guy and ask him to give me a quote on heart pine as well, since that should be much less expensive than walnut.

HK, went to that site, but got a message that the server can't open the site. ???

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    8 years ago

No you don't need to kibosh commenting on your kitchen here. I asked and am delighted to hear about your plans. I am so excited for you!

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hmmmm, let me see if I can copy and paste the link here.

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

ty, HK. That is very sweet of you.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Geesh Tib, it's miss mustard seed not ms. Anyway here is the link. Just scroll down.

http://missmustardseed.com/2015/06/the-evolution-of-my-house-part-4-the-kitchen/

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

Wow. Is that your DD's kitchen/counter?? It's really beautiful. I think wood counters make all the difference in a kitchen. She must be thrilled. I really do prefer plank, though, over end-grain. I also feel like it's something I should be able to do myself! Grrrr.....

• aputernut
    8 years ago

Have you looked on line? one is $56.00 the other $36.00 w/shipping, both at Overstock.com

Holly- Kay thanked aputernut
  • Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Puternut, thank you so much for the suggestions. I so appreciate it. I spent hours again last night searching and have decided to go with either this or that like posted above. Unfortunately I still can't decide between them.

• Metro East
    8 years ago

Prefer the simpler look of the Keswick.

Holly- Kay thanked Metro East
  • User
    8 years ago

I really like the simple look of the Keswick. For some reason I don't really care for the back plate of the Metro.

EDITED I was thinking about this again this morning, and I think it's the back plate maybe with the scroll of the arm. Too much maybe.

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

My last post on the counter tops in this thread.

http://www.countrymouldings.com/butcher-block-and-plank-countertops/prefinished-plank-style-countertops/

Also, I wonder whether one can use tongue and groove floor boards. I once made a large platform bed out of tongue and groove floor boards (basically like a big drawer). Very easy with minimal tools.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville