Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindsaycolley

Most awkward living room of all time

Lindsay Colley
8 years ago

If you can help me, you are a design genius and I will love you forever!!! THANKS in advance for any advice!!

Welcome to my awkward front room.

Please help me: (1) figure out a layout and (2) what colour couch/sectional I should purchase.

What I want - a place to have conversation. I want seating so that my parents can visit and we can all sit and have a cup of tea. Plus I need a functional entrance way with storage.

Problems:

The front door opens right into this room.

It is very dark because I live in a semi and face another house (so the windows let in very little light).

I have a black upright piano that only fits in this one room.

We are a family of six - 3 adults and 3 toddlers. With many shoes, boots, coats, bags, etc.

For safety reasons we have to block off the fireplace (hence the shelf).

The front room is in between the kitchen and TV room. There is a natural, straight pathway from one room to the other and I'm not sure if it would be OK to block it.

What I've tried:

I've tried creating an entrance hallway by putting that shelf that is currently under the mirror perpendicular to the front door instead, and then a couch on the other side of it. However, this room is fairly small and doing that really closes off the room, blocks the little light coming in from the windows, and makes walking around awkward because the end of the couch ends up being very close to the piano.

Comments (38)

• PRO
    E
    8 years ago

Your couch and chair color are fine, you just need to define the seating area. Move the piano away to in front of the fire place!? Move chair nearer to couch . Make an entrance with your storage items closer to front dooror use the low basket storage cabinet as a coffee table. Show us a picture of TV room.

Lindsay Colley thanked E
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    8 years ago

Hi.....lots of potential here.

-move piano to where love seat is

-move love seat to in front of window

-wing chair on wall where piano is now

-You'll need to buy some cabinets to store some of the "stuff". Either side of fp might work.

Lindsay Colley thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    8 years ago

You had asked what color of sofa to buy......I like the white and blue you have going on now and am wondering what is wrong with your current sofa?

Your room won't look good unless you store all the coats, etc, and all the decorative clutter.

You might have room for a small ottoman and use that for some of your storage.

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

A start:

Lindsay Colley thanked groveraxle
  • Lindsay Colley
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks everyone so far! I absolutely agree that getting rid of the clutter is key...but what am I supposed to do with so many people in the house? And not to mention, so many small children with snow pants and boots and shoes and mittens and bags and etc.? I love my house, but it's old and apparently 80 years ago, no one needed closets, so we have only one tiny one, and so here we are. I love the idea of a tall armoire - thanks @groveraxle. That may be able to replace that shelf under the mirror.

@CDR Design - I was thinking of getting a new (larger?) sofa/sectional so that I have more seating. Right now, I just have that wing chair and love seat. Maybe I should invest in another chair instead of a sectional. Thoughts on colour of an armoire? I'm guessing white-ish?

Looks like I have to get rid of that hutch as well (the one next to the fireplace). It's my husband's great grandfather's though...so I'll have to put in another room...

Finally, I'll see about swapping the piano and love seat - I think I've considered that but the piano may be too tall and cover the light switch on that other wall. I'll look into it.

THIS ROOM DRIVES ME BANANAS. THANK YOU all so much for your thoughts so far...!!

• Lindsay Colley
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@groveraxle - Amazing!! I have no idea how you made that image but it absolutely helps in terms of visualization. Thank you!! I'd love to see your thoughts on how to lay out the rest of the room. You're so generous to spend some of your time helping me out. Thank you!!

• marria77
    8 years ago

Groveraxle is right on about everything as usual. The only thing I will add is I have recently started using a pretty (and large) basket next to the door and we all throw our shoes in there. Marshals and Tjs have so many in beautiful designs. I know it's not as organized as a shelf for shoes like in a mud room but I live in a small space and a shoe shelf would take way way too much visual space. Takes an extra second or two to dig for the right pair...but you don't sctually see shoes, just a pretty basket and let's face it...half the time the kids wouldnt line it up on a shelf properly anyways. I also have a second basket for misc toys and my baby bag (and any stuff I need to return or whatever on the other side of the room).

Also- coats are definitely a problem I know...if you don't have a proper coat closet, I think those over door hangers on each bedroom and the kids can hang their coats there and it doesn't take up living space.

Lindsay Colley thanked marria77
  • Nancy Ingram
    8 years ago
    I would suggest you get a storage "locker". The one I am showing is from home decorators. Door to hid coats, drawers for shoes and baskets. Center piano on wall. Move settee in front of window. Get a round storage ottoman. Angle two accent chairs opposite settee. Also get a round area rug. Get a fireplace screen. Add bookcases on either side of fireplace.
    Lindsay Colley thanked Nancy Ingram
  • susan2494
    8 years ago

Here is an arrangement I did for you. I did not have room dimensions, but think it is pretty close.

Move piano by door and float the loveseat. Either pull in chair out of corner and buy another for in front of windows, or buy 2 new. You can do in solid color or pattern. Your room is neutral so anything you like in a new color. Add floor lamp for between chairs. Get a small coffee table for drinks.

Add the storage as suggested where piano was and also in corner where chair was located.. Keep your grandfathers desk.

Lindsay Colley thanked susan2494
  • sueplatt
    8 years ago
    Can you put sofa and chair centered around fireplace? Or sofa away from wall and put storage unit behind with a walkway? I would keep sofa and chair but add another chair. Also try a light colorful rug to brighten room. Keep things light and airy.
    Lindsay Colley thanked sueplatt
  • susan2494
    8 years ago

If you want to send room dimensions, I can advise on chair sizes. Keep them on a smaller scale. There is really no room for a sofa and one loveseat is enough. Go with 2 chairs.

Organize. Get the coats into the kids rooms. Take that stuff off the wall in corner by window. Instead of sm coffee table get a small storage ottoman for loose items and a tray on top for drinks,

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

In storage, think vertical instead of horizontal. I would put all or most of the storage to the right and left of the fireplace. It looks like you have too much stored in the room. I would store the majority of the clothes/shoes/coats in the kid's bedrooms.

Please do not buy a sectional.

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

MD Building Products 36 in. x 36 in. Cloverleaf Aluminum Sheet, Silver-57166 - T · More Info

Lindsay Colley thanked groveraxle
  • apple_pie_order
    8 years ago

Do you need seating for three adults or four adults in this room? It seems to me that at the moment, the tea-drinking is taking place in the kitchen or tv room.

Does the tv room have seating for three adults and three toddlers?

Four (or three) identical lightweight chairs may work for occasional get-togethers. Two could be positioned in the window nooks and two on the other side of the room. Pull them together and add a folding butler's table for teapot and cups when you have time for tea. Casters may work to roll chairs around if safe for toddlers.

Keeping the coats and boots in this front room is probably the only practical way to handle them because this is the main entrance for the family. A weekly put-away session can keep the number of stray items down so there's room for the main necessary items. Realistically, the coats and boots are here to stay for the winter, so you will need to work with them.

You can look into blocking off the fireplace opening semipermanently with a metal cover attached to the surround. It may have to be custom made, or there may be a ready-made size to fit.

Lindsay Colley thanked apple_pie_order
  • decoenthusiaste
    8 years ago

I can't tell much about the table area in the kitchen, but it looks like there is a great wall there going to waste. How about built-in storage and banquette with storage inside so you can stash items and eliminate some chairs? IKEA might have some basics you could put together on that wall to develop this idea. Also consider putting in a coat closet left of the fireplace. What is the curtained doorway on the right side of it?

Kenwood Kitchen · More Info

Upper West Side Combo · More Info

Lindsay Colley thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Lindsay Colley
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks everyone for the additional comments. There is a lot to reply to, so I won't mention you all individually.

I'm looking for seating for at least 4 adults. I hear what you're all saying which is to have 2 chairs and a loveseat - so in the name of budgeting, I will get one other chair. I will not get a sectional!

I absolutely hear you re: trying to get the clutter out of this room, but practically speaking, it will be impossible. Try to imagine dressing two one year olds and and a three year old to go outside every day in the winter if their boots and coats and mitts and etc. aren't right by the door (would YOU leave them all downstairs alone and run upstairs to get their stuff?!? Ha ha ha). I'll investigate the idea of an armoire or storage locker type thing to hide the stuff though - great thoughts. I hadn't thought about vertical storage much.

I am definitely getting a rug once I figure out where the conversation area will go. I never thought of putting it where many of you have suggested - right in front of the front door. I'll play around with that and see. I worry a little that my kids will have no where to stand when they take everything off when we get home, or, more accurately, I worry that they'll stomp all over the rug with their boots or sit on my chairs in wet snow pants.

Storage ottoman with a tray on top - will definitely do that.

I'll consider bookcases by the fireplace but wonder if it will look crowded. Not sure.

Re: other rooms

Kitchen - Interesting idea re: a banquette that I never thought of. Will think about that more! We already have a bench under our table for that side (as opposed to chairs). We're currently a 3 high chair house hold, so that idea will be put on hold for a couple years.

TV room - has a built in with our TV against one wall and we have a couch facing it. It is not a place to have conversation, so currently, when people come over, we're stuck at the kitchen table all the time. That's why I've been wanting to fix this front room so badly!!

Again, thank all of you SO MUCH for your suggestions and ideas. I'm honestly blown away at your generosity to help a stranger!! I'll move some stuff around this weekend and will post follow up pictures. Thanks again!!

• susan2494
    8 years ago

Look for an indoor/outdoor rug. They are easy care and make some really nice colors and patterns. They are not expensive and will be better to track wet and muddy boots than your hardwood floors.

• susan2494
    8 years ago

I have done another plan. Left piano on same wall and moved storage cabinet to beside door. Next to it I placed another storage ottoman, so the kiddies can sit to put on boots and their coats. Leave the coat rack behind door. You would need to measure that wall, to make sure an ottoman and a storage unit will fit. Measure everything before buying, both the area where they will go and size of the piece.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    8 years ago

I find a lot of people have a difficult time envisioning with all the "stuff" in the room. I would suggest you remove all of the decor. (Some will be returned later). Then, remove all of the clothing items that don't need to stay. Put all of those items in one area.

Then you will be able to begin envisioning the possibilities.

At that point, start moving the sofa and 2 chairs and the piano in positions that you think might work.

• calidesign
    8 years ago

I've always found it helpful to make a scaled graph paper room, with the doors and windows marked. Then make your furniture out of graph paper so you can try them in different areas. Start with the large items like the piano and sofa, and something for storage. You may come up with different ways of looking at the room.

Lindsay Colley thanked calidesign
  • partim
    8 years ago

Can a tall storage unit got to the left of the fireplace, and a lower one to the right of the fireplace? The location is not right by the door, but it is in the same room.

Lindsay Colley thanked partim
  • partim
    8 years ago

To fit a tall storage unit where the love seat is now, you will need to move the light switch closer to the door.

• Lindsay Colley
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi all! So I played around with the living room a lot this weekend. What really seems to be holding me back is that dratted piano which can't go in any other room. Take a look at the attached picture in which I used some stand in furniture pieces to sort of give me a sense as to what it could look like (sorry, ignore all the stuff). It seems so cluttered. There wasn't enough room to move around with the piano on one wall, and storage/armoire on the other, with a conversation area in between.

HOWEVER, someone here suggested putting the piano in front of the fireplace. I measured and it will fit right on the tiled portion of the floor. I like the idea because it will get the piano out of the way of our new "conversation area" AND it also does double duty of blocking the fireplace off from my toddlers.

Before I go find someone to help my husband move the piano...is there any reason I shouldn't do this? I tried googling "pianos in front of fireplaces" to see what it might look like and got ZERO pictures. That makes me think this may not be a good plan...

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    8 years ago

If you are not using the fireplace at all, there is no reason why the piano can't go there. Close the flu first.

I would move the sofa to in front of the fireplace first (If the depth is a reasonably the same as the piano). This will give you an idea if the walkway feels okay to you.

• susan2494
    8 years ago

I adjusted your floor plan and you are right the piano does fine in front of FP and there is no problem with the pathway. This could be an excellent solution for giving you more space and a more functional room. The FP is dead space now, so use it to your advantage.

• Lindsay Colley
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks guys! @susan2492 - just curious, why do you recommend putting the storage across the room from the door as opposed to on the wall closer to the door?

• catsw
    8 years ago

Lindsay, you probably don't want to hear this but is it possible you are trying to make this room do too much? It's hard to say without the measurements but your room looks small. If I'm understanding your everyday needs, correctly, you need an entrance first and seating second.

It's not a good idea to put the piano on an exterior wall. It plays havoc with the sound board. If flue is closed and there is no draft or temperature changes with from fireplace that would work but I'm concerned it will block your pathway through to, I think it's the kitchen. I would leave piano in existing place but center it on wall. A bench with storage seating under the window so you can sit to put boots on etc. Then I would place an armoire on wall beside front door where loveseat is in first pic. Is curtained door another closet? If so, you can store items not used as often in there. You can keep the hutch tucked into corner beside fireplace or place a small chair there. If you do move piano, another storage armoire would fit on that wall. Once you have your entrance room established, if there is enough room, you can then decide what you need to create seating.

If family room isn't comfortable to gathering then remember the kitchen is considered the heart of the home. I don't think you should worry about having tea and chatting in there. As decorenthuiaste suggested perhaps you can find ways to warm it up if it would make you feel more comfortable. But I suspect your parents are coming to visit with you and your family and aren't too concerned with the decor.

Lindsay Colley thanked catsw
  • izeve
    8 years ago

What is on the sides of the fireplace? It looks like on one side there is a fairly deep alcove that could be used for storage but is currently under utilized? How about the side where the chair is? What is hiding behind the curtain?

You definitely need a wardrobe to act as a hall closet. I would put it on the side of the door. Do you have an IKEA nearby? How about a Hemnes 2 door wardrobe with sliding doors? http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30251271/

Until you solve the storage issue, the room will feel cluttered with all the coats and boots.

Lindsay Colley thanked izeve
  • susan2494
    8 years ago

Lindsay, I had storage there because I had piano on that wall :>) when I moved piano for you I just didn't move anything else. You can move it to anywhere it works best for you. I think that the floating sofa facing window and the 2 chairs is a nice arrangement for a conversational area. You have room for everything. I would guess that it is now up to you to organize and get some items that will help resolve the storage issues. Once you have the major pieces in the place where you want them, then you can address the issues of the best way to use any storage items.

• Nancy Travisinteriors
    8 years ago
    You have way too much stuff in this room. Remove everything and start over. Everything is very dark also. Lighten it up. Remove everything from fireplace. Way to busy.
    Lindsay Colley thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    8 years ago
    Why are you blocking fireplace? Fireplace should be focal point. Is there a TV in here?? A small sofa facing fireplace. With a chair in n either side of very big square can't free table. Then a large tall mirror over fireplace. Nothing better n mantel. What are floors? You f not carpet. A area rug in a print in a color. I like all the grays out. with one accent color could work.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    8 years ago
    After looking at room. Instead if sofa and chairs. Get 4 comfy chairs with a low round 24" coffee table. I like pic on fireplace. Chairs a print. Place in circle. In center of room. On either side if firepl add two 6' wide dark framed floor mirrors. Just lean. IKEA has best price. Move piano in front if wi Dow. On wall where piano was add a very tall and long storage cab. Ikea sells fun things. Then store all coats etc in there. Take everything off walls. On wall where sofa is. Add a very tall 5' and wide picture with n bold colors.,hang very low. You have to much for this room. Use the center in of rooms. Furn should not be place all along walls like you re doing now.
    Lindsay Colley thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • Irene Morresey
    8 years ago
    This would be handy, first pic, this is from Walmart
    Lindsay Colley thanked Irene Morresey
  • catsw
    8 years ago

Lindsay, like that round table with stools or square with stools in Blenheim's photos. That might fit in centre of room and be a place to sit for shoes and boots as well as table for keys and mail Instead of bench under window, depending on sizes and traffic flow. A mirror over piano or behind door would be handy for last minute checks. Also, regardless of whether you put storage or piano on wall beside door, it looks like you might need to move light switch closer to door.

• shirlpp
    8 years ago

Can you fit an armoire on the wall with the piano, the way that groveraxle had it, or the storage locker shown by Nancy Ingram?

Can you float the loveseat so that the back is to the window? Then behind it, put the suite of baskets that were on the wall with the piano, but leave space between the baskets and the window for walking.

Then put the 2 chairs with their backs to the fireplace.

• everdebz
    8 years ago

Your discussion makes me think that a light-toned and tall unit should go beside the door - seems you need every bit of storage. This kind? - but as big as possible.

Seems a lovely paint color - would you have extra if it were possible to have someone move light switch over to where it seems better: under other thermostat, etc.? for a taller unit.

How high is the light switch off floor? How wide is that space?

Deltona Reclaimed Wood Shutter Door 2 Drawer Rustic Buffet Cabinet · More Info

• suezbell
    8 years ago

No sectional unless your space is truly huge -- it limits your furniture placement options. Decreasing the clutter will visually enlarge the feel of your small room.

Create your living room sitting area in front of the windows. Seriously consider investing in a wide ottoman storage bench for under the windows -- same space but two uses.

https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod2110154

Full sized sofas tend to get used for lying down and watching tv and, in small rooms, there is usually only one practical place for a large sofa. People tend to sit on either end where there is an armrest and avoid sitting in the middle.

While loveseats can usually be great for conversations for couples, in a small room where a piano takes up considerable space and also limits options, your best choice for additional seating might well be single chairs with wheels or at least light in weight and easily movable -- think comfortable wood framed upscale office conference room chairs with upholstered cushions that might also serve as your dining room chairs.

You can keep the single chairs --lightweight or with wheels -- in the dining area and in front of the piano when the piano is not being played and even in front of the fireplace when not in use but move them to where you need them, including to a more "audience" position when the piano is in use. Invest in a solid cover for your fireplace. Check office supply furniture stores for comfortable conference room chairs that could be more mobile than more heavy chairs intended for home use.

Repurpose all the small storage basket units to other rooms.

For the stuff you've been putting in baskets in your living room, you could create shelves over your bedroom doors (which can be rectangle boxes with hinged flip doors that lift up). You could use a set of four riser blocks s to lift up your bed(s) for storage space underneath and/or use any space over your overhead cabinets in the kitchen for the baskets. (Plastic riser blocks are available in the big box retail and the building supply stores.)

You could Invest in vertical storage for the space between your piano and windows.

... a tall bookshelf (solid doors on bottom half; open shelves or glass doors on top half) or ...

... wardrobe, perhaps one with one of the front doors a solid door (with mirror optional) for your coats and the other with a glass door to display your family treasures ...

... a chair with wheels could be placed in front of either of these pieces.

There is enough wall space above the windows for a "cornice" that is actually a set of cabinets above it with plain doors intended to visually disappear and not look like cabinets.

Consider whether or not there a corner where a corner cabinet would work for your storage needs.

The four storage ottoman seats under a coffee table someone else suggested are a great idea.

Consider a cabinet unit with a built-in look over the piano and/or over your loveseat rather than a framed painting/picture/print/art. You could use upscale overhead kitchen cabinets (with your choice of finish) with solid doors just for storage or with glass doors for storage/curio cabinet for your family treasures -- display framed family photographs and/or nick knacks and/or gifts and/or trophies and/or collections and/or those candle holders, candy dishes and exceptionally nice vases when they're not in use for their intended purpose.