Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chitownpc

Wood Flooring - light refinishing question.

Pat C
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I have walnut stained hickory hardwood wood floors throughout my condo - installed about 4 years ago. (http://www.lumberliquidators.com/ll/c/Walnut-Hickory-Casa-de-Colour-PRWHI3/10029561 - this is the same product, but the stain formula was recently changed. My floors are a smidge darker than this. )

Yes - dark floors show more dust, but I still love them. The thing I don't like about them is that they tend to smudge easily and don't look their best unless I really baby them. When I damp mop the floors, I need to immediately dry them with a terry cloth towel in order to get a good result (no smudges or streaks).

I've tried Bona and LL spray cleaners, but everything has the same smudgy / streaked result. I've found that a damp mop with water & a few drops of Dawn dishwashing liquid works nicely as long as I immediately dry the floors with terry cloth as I go along.

I was thinking about applying a deglosser to the floors, then applying several coats of satin poly (with light sanding in-between coats). Do you think this will a) work b) help with weekly cleaning and maintenance of the floors? (Note: I'm not worried about the 'warranty' on the floors. I just need the floors to work for me and be easily maintained.)

Any advice is appreciated, even if you don't agree with what I want to do. I'd rather be fully educated. Thanks.

Comments (2)