Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharon2079

Looking for help in finding a specific rose?

sharon2079
8 years ago

Unfortunately, I don't have a picture. I use to have a rose that died. I don't know that I ever knew the name. It had been given to me.

This rose had very small blooms that were quite full. Maybe about the sie of a nickle to a quarter. Kind of like Caldwell Pink which I have and I just saw a picture of Blush Noisette.

Besides having very full ruffled small blooms, the rose was armed in very nasty long sharp thorns. The bush was about 4 feet tall and 3 to 4 feet wide. The plant had both light pink to white blossoms. I don't remember if the blooms faded from pink to white or got darker from white to pink. I just remember that the bush had both colors on at the same time. Lot of them. It nearly covered the bush and It had a very long bloom time. It repeated here in South Florida. I don't remember if it had scent or not, but what I liked about this particular rose was it was a butterfly magnet. Swarms of monarchs and swallowtails loved it. I have other roses now, including Caldwell Pink and the butterflies could care less about any of them. But if If anybody has an idea or has a rose that matches this description and is a BUTTERFLY MAGNET your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Comments (7)

• jacqueline9CA
    8 years ago

Sharon - where do you live, approx? That will give us a clue.

Jackie

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    8 years ago

I had a small hedge of The Fairy rosebushes, and your description sounds like The Fairy, which can certainly get as big as you describe. Mine did, and you're in a warmer climate than I am. I don't remember the butterflies, though, but this was a long time ago--The Fairy was my first rose. Diane

• sharon2079
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I live in south Florida- zone 10,

Also, the thorns on the very low trunk were numerous. Very long and spikey....

But I am hoping to put this bush in my butterfly garden, so I am hoping to find it.

Thank you

• Rosefolly
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Since you are in Florida, you might want to look at one of the nurseries in Florida to see if you recognize your rose in amongst their listings. I am thinking of Angel Gardens in Gainesville, http://www.angelgardens.com and Rose Petal Garden in Newberry, http://rosepetalsnursery.com. Both list their roses online. Both nurseries specialize in roses that do well in your part of the world and I believe that both include local "found" roses. Very possibly you will spot your rose there.

• Anne Zone 7a Northern CA
    8 years ago

I too am seeking a little pink rose I had in out first house that was a rental previously. The 5' by 3 1/2' rosebush was the only living thing besides the Bermuda grass. I have been buying every small pink rose looking for that same rosebush but have not had luck yet, the blooms were about 1 1/4 inches across fully open, and the bush had bright green not too shiny leaves, new growth was red and had lots of stems and thorns down below but the thorns were pliable and whitish on the blooming growth. The buds look like Cecile Brunner but the flowers got really fluffy and faded to white. So far I have Cl Cecile Brunner and the regular Cecile B, the Fairy (bush and leaves different), Caldwell Pink, Petite Pink Scotch and look at every pink rose every rose place I go. The house was built in the 1940s and I think the rose bush was planted then. This was in Zone 9 in the SF Bay Area in California (Pleasant Hill). It had a decent fragrance but not strong. I recently went back and knocked on the door but noone was home. I took a driveby the back and the rose was gone! May be the same rose you are looking for!

• ozmelodye
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Have you tried looking among the miniature roses? I have one called Bit o' Spring, which has grown to the dimensions you quote, small pink flowers turning whitish, mild fragrance. Mine was pruned in August and is just coming into flower now. It flowers singly and also in large sprays. Went to get a photo, but the flowers are all burned as we have had hotter weather than normal. Sorry.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm