Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
briaustex

Harvested Moringa Leaves

briaustex
8 years ago

Got the first frost last night so harvested a bunch of moringa leaves yesterday and already processed some by dehydrating them and grinding them up. Kind of tastes like green tea. My tree grew to about 12-13 feet and I only harvested a fraction of the leaves.

Here's a photo of the finished product:

Comments (10)

• ruthz
    8 years ago

Awesome. I buy Moringa tea, which appears to be just Moringa leaves.

Hoping I will have leaves to harvest next year.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I wonder if they could be dehydrated in the oven. How do you intend to use the powder, tea, soups ... ?

• briaustex
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm planning to use it in smoothies and soups. Might try it as a tea, too, since the taste does sort of remind me of green tea. I like how bright green it is.

I'm sure you can dehydrate it in an oven on the lowest setting. I dried it at 105-110 degrees since that is supposed to preserve the most vitamins and enzymes. You could always prop open the oven door a bit to keep it a tad cooler, too. I just stripped the leaves by running my hand over the branch so the powder also has some leaf stems in it (though everything ground nicely into a fine powder once dried).

• purslanegarden
    8 years ago

My mom just told me about this tree/bush/something. She grows it but did not remember the name for it until we saw some ad about moringa nutritional vitamins.

She also said she would pick leaves off and use them, but maybe just in a kind of tea, not ground up. However, I bet she'd be just as happy to drink it that way if she harvested enough leaves.

Now that I know this name, I will see if I can get more plants for her in the spring so she can feel free to strip off some more leaves than usual.

• briaustex
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I had two trees planted in the ground and two in containers, and this was my first year growing them. I'll be growing them again next year, too.

• chitralekha
    8 years ago

Moringa is a favorite vegetable of ours:) We have three trees planted on the ground and all grew from seeds. We use the green leaves just like Spinach, and saute it in oil with garlic and green chilies. We also make curries with it and Thoor Dhal (Pulse). The long vegetable that grows from the flower also we use to make different dishes. By the time freeze comes I use all the leaves on them. I have also frozen leaves for later use. But I never made tea with it, though.

• Mark Reese
    8 years ago

chitralekha, sounds like you are getting the seed pods from your trees. That's great. How old are your trees?

• chitralekha
    8 years ago

Hello Mark Reese,

Thank you.

We planted the seeds 6 years ago before we went to India in December and when we returned in the spring all the seeds were sprouted. By the end of summer the trees were about 15 feet tall. We have now three trees and this year one flowered early and produced about 20 long Drum sticks. We kept 2 on the tree hoping that we can get some seeds out of them but they still are tender.:( This is the first time we got this many pods. Last year and the year before two produced pods but very few. During the freeze all the trees were gone except for the roots which we protected with mulch 8 to 10 inches high all around the multiple branches and they sprouted in the spring. It grows very fast!

• Mark Reese
    8 years ago

If you are wanting to add Moringa leaves or Moringa leaf powder to your diet - this article I just posted on my website may be helpful: "How to Eat Moringa". It covers the importance of slowly increasing the amount of Moringa you eat and gives some tips for eating it. I always encourage people to eat the leaves fresh if they can as they are the most nutritious as I share here: "So Just How Nutritious is Moringa?" Love that you guys are growing Moringa!