Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lkalzamora100

pantry layout advance needed

lkalzamora100
8 years ago

My DH would like to remove our corner pantry. I have tried to design the space without the corner pantry and the best I could come up with is two 18 pantries. This is significantly less than I have in the current built in pantry. I was hoping that someone could review my layout attempt and give me suggestions.

In addition if you could comment on the wall oven location. I have a pantry on one side in order to be able to stand on that side and place items on the counter.

Items that are missing in the design are the cabinet over the fridge and the prep sink in the island. Also the kitchen is open to the breakfast area and the great room.

Comments (22)

• lkalzamora100
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oops meant layout advice. Darn spell check.

• lkalzamora100
    Original Author
    8 years ago

playing with the layout. This is completely different. It gets me pantry space, but I wonder how usable the corner cabinets would be because of the fridge depth.

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

Could you also share your current layout? As well as the overhead 2D version of your second plan?

• sheloveslayouts
    8 years ago

Here's a link to lkalzamora100's previous layout thread in case it has info others may seek...

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/3503879/need-help-on-my-layout

• lkalzamora100
    Original Author
    8 years ago

here is the layout of my current kitchen.

• lkalzamora100
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here is the 2D overhead of my second plan.

• emilyam819
    8 years ago

Your first layout is better. I think the corner might still be hard to access with the pantry so close.

you have a lot of cabinets and I don't think you need two pantry cabinets. A super Susan in the corner can hold a ton of stuff, as well as a deep cabinet above the fridge and the island cabinets you are gaining. Have you identified a place for every item in your current pantry in your new layout? When planning my new kitchen, I discovered that I could easily lose a bulky pantry by planning a cabinet for every type of item in the old pantry - lazy Susan for dry goods, island for small appliances, pullout by the stove for oils, regular wall cabinet for liquor and bar ware.

• laughablemoments
    8 years ago

I can't find an exact photo of a pantry closet like I drew, but this one sort of comes close:

• Marcia B
    8 years ago

What program did you use for the layouts and 3d pictures? ( I have just returned here after a 8 year hiatus!) Thanks!

• lkalzamora100
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I used the NKBA free design program. Easy to use but I still haven't figured out how to do some things like move cabinets up on the wall and get them to stay. It appears that the default location is too close to the counter for my liking.

• Marcia B
    8 years ago

Thanks.. can't wait to play with it! Your layout and pictures look awesome!

• laughablemoments
    8 years ago
    Wondering if you saw my suggestion? (I know sometimes I miss comments in my email notifications). Happy Thanksgiving! : )
  • lkalzamora100
    Original Author
    8 years ago

yes I did see your comment. Thank you. I have spent the morning playing on the software to see how the pocket door pantry would work. It is a great idea. Good thing that I am not hosting today.

Just an FYI the one wall in the kitchen by the sink is full of plumbing, so no chance to add a little storage there.

Unfortunately I can't afford a range with double ovens. One is a possibility and then a wall oven. Then I could storage down below. Something to think about. I have just never liked the look of affordable ranges. Maybe I could do a wall oven under the cooktop.

• laughablemoments
    8 years ago

Oh, good. I just didn't want my suggestion to get lost in "the soup." : ) Hope the closet idea might be helpful.

A friend of ours just got a 30" GE double oven range pretty reasonably. It's a nice looking unit. Maybe not as snazzy as a pro style, but still great just the same. I can tell you I test drove a Blue Star Platinum double oven range when we were stove shopping and I just couldn't love it. : ( It might have looked pretty, and I'll admit the top cooked nicely, but the ovens. Oh, those ovens, they were a huge disappointment. They were a deal breaker for me. We like to bake way too much to have ovens that heated unevenly like those ones.

I ended up with a Miele 42" cooktop and Miele wall ovens. The ovens have been great for the most part, but the cooktop....grrrrrr. My dad's bottom of the line Kenmore gas stove's burners light and burn way more consistently than my front double ring burners. It's been disappointing and frustrating to use those burners. They're so much more fiddly than they need to be.

I write all that to say that the pro style stuff can look great, but when you start digging around, you may find that the performance can be subpar for all the good looks and money that they cost. Unless you already have pro style and know what you're dealing with. : )

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

This is a very inefficient layout. You have a barrier island, plus a fairly long walk from fridge-to-sink and pantry-to-sink to prep food, plus you walk through the cook's zone from pantry, plus your DW is on the wrong side of the sink right in the middle of the prep space.

Do a search here for Ice Water Stone Fire, a post with an excellent and humorous explanation of the work flow in a kitchen which is from fridge/pantry to sink to counter to cook. Following that principle results in a much more efficient, pleasant kitchen to work in.

One way to resolve that issue would be to add a prep sink to the island. I would also turn it to get wider aisles as your aisles look way too narrow. This gives you a nice, separate clean-up area removed from the prep/cook zones. The NKBA recommends minimum 42" for a single-worker kitchen and minimum of 48" for a multi-worker kitchen. Of course, this is only one idea.

• lkalzamora100
    Original Author
    8 years ago

We will definitely have a prep sink in the island. I just couldn't figure out how to add it on the software. Does anyone know how to add it with the NKBA software? In regards to the island location, our current kitchen has it as going from left to right and we have no problems with isle width. It is generally 42 inches. We did consider moving the island as you have drawn it but it would interfere with the table in the breakfast room. For resale value we decided to keep the space for the table. Changing it to a peninsula with seating will interfere with the sliding door on the left (which isn't drawn). It is the only access to the back yard which is used all the time for the dogs.

Also we go back and forth on the dishwasher location. If we move it to the left side of the clean up sink then that blocks access to the sink from the table. Usually I like to have the family help with clean up and blocking access may be an issue. Location of the dishwasher is still under consideration.

The issue we are currently debating is whether or not to have a built in pantry. My husband wants it gone. I want it for storage of large items (like dog food, costco paper towels, and those small bag of chips for the kids lunches. I don't think we can easily fit those in pull out pantries. My kitchen is my old house was tiny with no storage. I moved to the current home 10 years ago and just loved all the storage I have. Not surprising after 10 years we have filled every space and could use more. My husband is a gadget lover.

I appreciate everyone's comments regardless if it about the pantry or not. Every comment has me thinking of what I can do to improve

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

If you have a prep sink in the island, I think the DW placed to the right of the clean-up sink is just fine. It might be in the way on the few occasions where the clean-up sink is used for secondary prep but your reasons for not wanting it blocking the aisle during clean-up makes sense If you could make your aisle at least 48", the DW could move to left of sink without being a major obstacle.

• sheloveslayouts
    8 years ago

Is the garage on the other side of the existing corner pantry?

• loalzamora
    8 years ago

Yes the garage is on the right. The back and left side walls are outside walls.

• Meg Jones
    8 years ago

What are u'all playing with that you mention? maybe i just cant see it on my phone...

• Meg Jones
    8 years ago

edit: i saw the NKBA free design program but couldn't find it"""

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert