Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saraahraah

Exterior landscaping - I'm stumped

Sarah C
8 years ago
Hello there,
I'm currently stumped on how to re-do the front of our home, specifically between the main house and garage. I'm attaching some pictures, and would love to get some ideas and advice.

Option A:
Remove the 5 bushes in the back, add pine-straw, and a small water fountain with curvy pebble trail leading to it.

Option B:
Keep bushes and add smaller plants

Option C:
Remove bushes and add some type of structure like a pergola.

Also, we are in SC next to a wooded area, and need to keep the area cleaned up to avoid critters like snakes.

Thank you in advance!
Sarah

Comments (11)

• Sarah C
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hi Beverly,
    Thank you for your advice.

Would the box hedge go behind the fountain, under the large window?

I have been searching ways to hide the meter box, and the easiest solution is to paint it the same color as the house. What is your opinion?
    Thank you,
    Sarah
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Yes paint the box out and create a rectangular formal boxwood hedge. Pergola can be ordered from Amazon or Lowes. Very inexpensive.

• decoenthusiaste
    8 years ago

What rooms inside look out onto this little nook? I would tear out the hedges but if you want to avoid snakes, you might plant a dwarf Japanese red maple past the garage wall. It will look pretty from inside, may eventually block out the view of the utility box (which should match the yellow color.) The tree won't be a hiding place for snakes. Simply plant grass that loves and does well in shade. Then put a pretty bird bath and a bench out closer to the walk.

• emmarene9
    8 years ago

What is the name of the shrub?

• nanakeroyd
    8 years ago

I have an almost identical indentation on our house. I always add color to the landscape when I can. We planted a natchez crepe myrtle near the sidewalk, planted azaleas underneath and rhododendrums...hot pink behind. Keep shrubs out of the area next to the house and allow the forward shrubs to block the view in the back. We are surrounded by woods. Cut the shrubs up higher as they grow bigger and place mulch under the shrubs. I use red to make things pop. Japanese maples are beautiful and i have several...one next to the porch in the upper garden.

Just a suggestion..works well for us.

Now i did add a small water pond w spitting fish next to blue spruce w iris and other perenials. The bench is in front of roses ...had to trick deer into not eating them ...also planted rosemary next to bench to keep deer away...the dont like rosemary. Pond was a two hour project. You need an outlet somewhere in the vicinity though. Hope it helps ....nancy

• Sarah C
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hi Decoenthusiaste,
    The large window is the laundry/mud room. And the small window is the half bath.

I do find myself looking out both windows regularly, and wanting something appealing to look at. I like the idea of a dwarf Japanese Maple, it is a contender for that space.

I really like the idea of a bench. I did not think of that before. It would be a nice, shady spot to sit and watch the kids play in the summer.

Pine straw, mulch or grass, that is still up in the air for me. I prefer grass, but will have to grow from seed, and that takes patience.

Thank you for your feedback!
  • Sarah C
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hi Emmarene,
    I believe the shrubs are Boxwoods, I just don't know what variety.
  • Sarah C
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hi Nanakeroyd,
    Your landscaping is absolutely stunning. Are you a master gardener? That is amazing.

I am only beginning to work with and there is so much to learn. It is rewarding
  • Sarah C
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Posted too soon above. Thank you for your post and sharing ways to add color and depth to the landscaping.

I love the spitting fish pond. I have a preschooler and 1st grader that would have fun (daily) with water play.
  • nanakeroyd
    8 years ago

No i am not a master gardener...i started gardening in ernest when we retired.....i read up on plants along with trial and error.....i also do art and look at the yard as a palette to paint what i want to see. This landscape is 4 years old and constantly evolves as a garden should. A garden should be a gift to yourself and to please oneself if that makes sense. It should be spiritual but not necessarily in a religious way,but appeal to what brings happiness to you. I am retired from the legal field and after working with attys and courts for so many years I need peace in my life