Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momof2princesses

Please critique my floor plan before we finalize it!!

momof2princesses
8 years ago

I'm so excited because it's taken several iterations, but we are finally getting close to finalizing the floorplan, so I wanted to get input from all of the amazingly helpful people here before everything is final.

Our family is made up of 2 working adults, 2 kids (ages 5 and 2), and 1 dog. I love to cook and make dinner 5-6 nights/week, usually with 2 little helpers, and my DH does the dishes. We entertain frequently, from a couple people to 50 people, and when I do I make pretty much all of the food myself. We have my mother-in-law and grandmother-in-law over for dinner every Wed, my dad stays for a 3 day weekend with us about once/month, we have friends over for dinner about 2x/month (8-20 people), and we have larger parties (about 30-50 people) 3-4 times/year.

What doesn't work for us with the space right now:

1) The clean-up zone is on top of the prep-zone. My DH isn't very good about getting the dishes done, so he is frequently in the kitchen doing the remaining dishes from the last meal while I am prepping/cooking the current meal. This is a huge problem in our current space due to the placement of the main sink/dishwasher. Our isles are also not very wide so when the dishwasher is open nobody can get by (except Buddy, the dog).

2) The doorway between the kitchen and the dining room. It's narrow so only 1 person can get through at a time, and the refrigerator blocks the opening so when we have people over and I'm trying to get food out of the fridge I have to ask people to move and then nobody can get through until I'm done. It's super annoying.

3) I can't see my kids when they are outside. We have a beautiful patio and backyard, so when the weather is nice the kids are outside. I have 1 small window in the kitchen that is close to the corner so basically all I can see out of it is my DH at the grill.

4) When we have parties everyone is always getting in my way while trying to access the trash can, sink, etc. I need to have better zone layout so that they aren't crossing the cooking/prep zones.

5) We have mail and papers from school everywhere. Everything comes into the kitchen and there is no place to put it, so it just ends up on the kitchen island and the kitchen table. I'm a little OCD so this makes me crazy!

I've attached pics of the downstairs floor plan with current kitchen layout, and the proposed new kitchen layout with the modifications I've made scribbled on in pen (sorry about that). I would really appreciate any feedback I can get! (It's hard to tell in the picture of the proposed new layout, but there is going to be a pass through from the kitchen to the dining room at the sink, with open shelving for my cookbooks at the top.) I was thinking I might want to swap the trash can base in the island for the 24" drawer base, thoughts?

Also hard to tell in the new floor plan is the fact that the B18 I scribbled on there is going to be a second set of double trash cans for when we have parties, so people aren't coming over into my space. On the side of this will be a folder/organizational area that I've attached my inspiration picture.

Comments (5)

• Carrie B
    8 years ago

I find the layout hard to read. Can you post a larger/clearer photo?

momof2princesses thanked Carrie B
  • momof2princesses
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Is this any better?

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

These are just a couple of tweaks I'd recommend.

I switched the fridge and beverage center locations. I don't see how your congestion issue when the fridge door is open problem is resolved if you keep the fridge as placed in your plan. Your location for it also means the island is a barrier island to the prep and cook areas. It also makes sense to me to have the beverage center nearer the dining room when entertaining. The red lines indicate the path you would have to take if the fridge stayed there. The green line is the shorter path with the new fridge location. Multiply that path numerous times in the course of preparing your meals, especially when you entertain dozens, and those extra steps really add up.

I suggest you have the upper bleed into the corner instead of making the turn. This allows you to put bigger windows on each side of the range for more light and better views of the backyard to watch the kids.

momof2princesses thanked funkycamper
  • momof2princesses
    Original Author
    8 years ago

funkycamper, thank you so much for the feedback! I did actually consider putting the refrigerator where the beverage center will be, and there were a couple of reasons I decided against it...

The first is that the space is only 69" long, so there isn't enough space for the 48" built in refrigerator plus the pantries, so I'd still have to have some of the pantry space be over where we have it shown. One of the reasons we are getting rid of the pantry that is there now is that it's pretty annoying having the pantry space split across the kitchen like that, I frequently find myself running back and forth from one to the other. Plus, if there is something I need from the other pantry I would have to go over to that side anyway, so it would seem to be more convenient to have the pantries and fridge together so I only have to go to one area to get the food.

The second reason is that currently we have a regular depth refrigerator in that space and the opening to the dining room is 2 ft 5 in. We are widening the doorway to 4 ft and putting in a built-in (therefore counter depth) refrigerator, so I figured that would keep the refrigerator doors from blocking the doorway when they are open.

Although I do love the idea of getting as big windows into the space as we can, the reason we have the upper making that turn is that we are going to have an appliance garage under it to put my food processor, blender, and stand mixer. I didn't want them to be too far from the range since I will likely be using them either right before or right after things come off the stove/out of the oven.

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

The long walk between prep and fridge would bother me more than the door to DR being blocked when the door is open. I would split the pantries to get the fridge closer to the prep area because that extra long walk isn't necessary. I'd want my kitchen to be more efficient. Organized pantries should allow you to keep the items used most commonly during cooking in the pantry next to the fridge. Use the other pantry for more snack items, cereals, crackers, overflow, etc. Anything that isn't normally part of cooking.

And I would just do an appliance garage under the straight run of upper cabinets and have bigger windows. But I'm a bit of a window addict so I almost always choose windows, lol.

While we're talking about how I'd do it if it were my kitchen. I'd put the microwave in the beverage center and put the wall oven under the counter so I could have a bigger window on the other side of the sink, too. :) This would also allow those who are heating drinks or snacks to do so without entering my prep space.

Just some things to consider. It's your kitchen and it needs to be designed for how you live. I would go nuts with your proposed fridge location after awhile. But you have lived with it so you don't appear to mind it. If it works for you, ignore me.

momof2princesses thanked funkycamper