Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amykath

How do you know when it is time to put your dog down? :(

amykath
8 years ago

My dog is a yellow lab mix. She is 15 and is in pain. You can see it on her face. She has a very hard time getting up and down due to her joints and muscle atrophy.
She still drinks and eats but can't hold her bladder for long. She seems so miserable and she doesn't act her old self.
I do not want to be selfish and prolong any unhappiness or pain she is experiencing. However, I do not want to put her down early. It seems so terrible.
Thoughts or advice would be so helpful! Thank you all in advance!
Amy

Comments (57)

• amykath
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow, you all are beyond empathetic and sweet. I am sitting here bawling like a baby. However, this does help. Thank you!!!!

• User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

There are meds like Rimadyl and Tramadol that she might benefit from. Maybe even acupuncture.

I started my older dogs on Adequan injections and that helped to stave off the pain from their joints for a couple years. I also had our beardie receive cold laser treatment to his joints and I truly think it extended his life for a few months.

My next door neighbor just lost her 14/15-year old terrier mix today, so I'm feeling very sad for her sweet Roxy, and for what you're going through.

Your dog is blessed to have you and I'm sure she knows real, true, deep love.

• Sueb20
    8 years ago

I asked the same question a few months ago. People told me "you'll know." And one day in August our 12 year old bulldog woke up, walked around, laid down, and then couldn't get up again. One of her front legs just stopped working. We took her to the vet, and we just knew. She was trembling, and would occasionally try to get up, only to fall over. Saddest thing ever, but it was really obvious that she was ready to go.

• amj0517
    8 years ago

Amy - I'm so sorry. We went through it a little over a year ago with our lab. Honestly, the first few sentences of your original post made me think "it's time". One thing that our vet said with our Rocky was, "it's better to do it a week "too soon" than a moment too late. When they get so weak you run the risk of them seriously injuring themselves, then being in extreme pain during the emergency.

Again, I'm sorry you're going through this with your pup! It's so hard.

• anitamo
    8 years ago

My heart aches for you. Our pets are family and it's so hard to see them suffer . You already know when it's time but it won't make it any easier. I'm so sorry. (((Hugs))) I hope having all your family members visiting you right now brings great comfort to you and your DH

• Bethpen
    8 years ago

I'm so very sorry, it is such a hard thing. The last time I did it, I just knew, something in his eyes told me it was time. I'll say some prayers for your Maddie and that you can get through this.

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

So sad, aktillery. I think the two measurements are, if the dog is in obvious pain and/or has stopped eating.

They usually let you know they're ready when they are, and I think it shows up via not eating or an overall tiredness, they're just tired (as opposed to sleepy); their bodies are done living.

As hard as it is, I'd suggest that, if the vet can't do anything for her pain, the kindest and most humane thing to do is to send her off so she is no longer in pain.

• User
    8 years ago

Several years ago I waited too long to help my sweet girl over the rainbow bridge. To this day I ache at knowing I made the decision too late and knowing she suffered. While I have wonderful memories of my sweet girl, the sadness still is there.

Last month, my soulmate, my best friend, my velcro fur kid at 20, although he was still eating and cuddling and showing interest, started to have the same symptoms as your sweet girl. I promised him I would never let him suffer and the next day, with the help of our wonderful Vet, we let him go and join his sister.

While I miss my boy so much, I smile each time I think of him because he never suffered and had a magnificent life.

It's never ever easy...but it has been easier for me knowing I may have let go a day too soon .... and not a day too late.

My heart goes out to you.

• Bonnie
    8 years ago

Aktillery, from everything you wrote-it's time. Time to spare her the pain and suffering you described. We had to decide this last year. In the end, what worked for us was to have the vet and her assistant come to our home to euthanize Sara. We all gathered around and said our goodbyes, but left the room for the actual procedure. We cried on her, we hugged her, then we consoled each other. Her ashes are buried in a beautiful urn in our yard, among our other pets. Let her go peacefully, as hard as it may be to say goodbye.

• JennaVaNowSC
    8 years ago

I am in a similar situation now with our Boxer Sasha. We lost her sister Bella 3 years ago this month. It grieves me so much that I feel we held onto her too long. She suffered with a brain tumor, and seizures. We were in the midst of moving from Virginia to South Carolina, and we (DH) just couldnt make the decision. Bella lost her vision and the use of her back legs very suddenly, and the last seizure went on way too long. SHE told us it was time. At the vet's the next day, she raised her head and kissed my cheek. everyone in the room cried, including our vet. Crying now, just thinking about it. Now, 3 years later, her sister Sasha is near that time. She will be 12 in February, which is really old for a Boxer. Sasha has severe arthritis. is on several pain meds, muscle relaxants, and thyroid meds. The problem is, when she gets up in the morning she is like the energizer bunny, playful and happy. SO dh can't agree to let her go. By 6 or 7 pm though she is hurting. Bad.

Amy, I did not mean to hijack your post. Only to say I know how you feel. How do you know? I swore I wouldn't let her suffer. And I feel that I am.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    8 years ago

Gosh, I just hate these threads, but they show how much we all have in common and that we share so much. I have nothing to add except that I am so sorry for everyone going through this now. It is never easy and it never will be. Hugs to us all. I treasure each moment with my pups as we all do.

• gsciencechick
    8 years ago

I have nothing more to add other than to express my support and sympathy.

It took us a long time to get over the loss of our little kitty in 2013, but we adopted a little girl kitty this past summer who has some similar personality characteristics and that has really healed our hearts.

• blfenton
    8 years ago

Hugs to you and to Maddie. Maddie will let you know, just make sure you listen.

• socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
    8 years ago

I went through this in June. My dear Dora gradually stopped wanting to do things she previously enjoyed (going on walks, being brushed). She suddenly became a picky eater. When she woke up in pain one morning we let her go that day. She could still walk easily but it was the right time.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this...it is very painful and never easy. From your description, it sounds like it's time. Please don't let her suffer in pain because it will hurt you to let her go. She can't live forever...it's just a matter of how much suffering she has to go through before she passes on.

• amylou321
    8 years ago

I'm so sorry for your pain. Talk to your vet. The doc will advise you when it's time. Perhaps he/she can help manage or lessen the pain,or maybe they can assure you that it's best to let her go. I always admire people who can seriously consider saving their beloved fur babies from further suffering by letting them go at their own emotional expense. Im not sure I would be able to be so unselfish. All of the dogs I have lost have gone naturally. But I have never had to look at one of my babies in constant pain and misery, and have never had to make the decision. Please take comfort knowing that she has had a full and happy life, and if you decide to put her down, that she had a peaceful end.

• maire_cate
    8 years ago

When we faced a similar situation my son said something to me that I'll never forget - it's so simple but it holds the truth.....He gave me a hug and held me close and whispered ...

"Only good days, Mom, we owe her good days."

Sending hugs to you because I know how much this hurts.

Maire

• robo (z6a)
    8 years ago

Another good article about the decision, whose author claims, "better a week too early than an hour too late."

http://www.petmd.com/blogs/thedailyvet/jcoates/2011/may/the_decision_to_euthanize_a_pet_a_vets_perspective-11246

From what you have described, and not knowing your dog, to me it sounds like it is probably time.

• User
    8 years ago

I'm so sorry. It's a terrible decision to make. If she's in pain.... I'd do it now.

With my cat, I kept going back and forth because I wanted to be sure it was time. The harsh reality was he wasn't getting any better and wasn't going to. If I could do it over again I would have done it a few days sooner. I could have prevented it from getting to that ugly point.

Saying a prayer for peace for you.

• PRO
    MDLN
    8 years ago

IMHO, it is time - when you no longer need to ask, "is it time?"

Have you tried pain meds? Vetprofen is a medication like ibuprofen/Motrin or naproxen/Aleve. Not sure why you, "try not to do it too terribly often."

Stronger meds are available.

• User
    8 years ago

I haven't read the comments here but wanted to share my thoughts. First, I'm so sorry you're going through this.

My last dog spent her final weeks sleeping 95% of her days, and I had to carry her (she weighed 80 lbs) up and down the porch stairs to go potty and to her food/water dishes. Her eyes were sad and lost but I thought as long as I could carry her... My friend, who's the biggest animal lover I know, came over, witnessed what was going on, and looked at me and said, "it's time."

For you, I'd say the same. "It's time."

• missymoo12
    8 years ago

You can give your dog aspirin to help alleviate pain symptoms. It can be quite effective. Just ask your vet what dosage when you call for your after Christmas appointment. No need to worry about overdoing pain meds if youre thinking its time to say good bye...You are not looking for a cure but to make her more comfortable. I do believe animals tell you when it's time but if she is still looking for her food and making attempts to walk around and find the door to go out I don't believe its time. Inconvenient with the bladder issues but she may need another course of antibiotics for that.

Just because there are pain issues doesn't mean its time. I would give her a chance with upping her pain meds-- today. If she is still making attempts to get around and eat then I'm not sure there is a rush with Christmas right here...I'm thinking about your memories and its ok to take some time with this decision.

I've had a couple of favorite pets deal with cancer and we managed their pain quite effectively. With my Jazzy girl we knew when she stopped eating drinking, but this was after her pain was managed.

One thing I would recommend is having the vet come to you for the final visit. Less traumatic for the pet. I know this from lots of experience and even when my pets liked the vet they became scared going for that last visit. No need for that. Most vets will come to your home.

Wishing you peace with this difficult decision. She looks like such a sweet girl.

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

Amy, so sorry you have to deal with this. It is never easy. And your pup looks so sweet in the photo. DD just went thru this with her Chessie a few months ago. Ups and downs for about a month or so and then it was time. The vet made it so much easier when it was time, and it was indeed sad but peaceful with her family at her side. Sending wishes for peace & comfort for you and your beloved furbaby.

• Vertise
    8 years ago

So sorry about your furbaby. There is a glucosamine product for animals. Maybe you can get some for the time she has remaining. It sure works for people. Your vet might have it on hand.

Cosequin

amykath thanked Vertise
  • 4boys2
    8 years ago

Contact a pet hospice. They specialize in proper pain medications. If you wish ~ you can also do an at home euthanasia.

• amck2
    8 years ago

We had our sweet rescue beagle, Morgan, for 15 yrs. As often happens, the kids begged to have a dog but she became my constant shadow. She was my first dog.

Although she was well & spunky at 14, my vet broached the subject of "that time" at her annual visit. I am so grateful he planted the seed because when the time did come I had given some thought to how I might decide.

It appeared to me that she failed fast, but looking back the signs were there and I tried not to see them. When she was unable to contain her bowels, that was the signal. She looked so ashamed when she had an accident. She hadn't been crated since she was a puppy and I didn't want to resort to having her last days/weeks at home that way. My heart was broken to pieces but I took her to our longtime vet and held her while she was put to sleep.

I grieved that dog for a long time. Still miss her. But I've never second-guessed my decision to let her go while she still felt like a family member and not a burden.

I'm sending warm and healing thoughts your way.

• PRO
    MDLN
    8 years ago

aspirin and vetprofen (carprofen) are both NSAIDS, not sure I would use them together due to similar mechanism of action, so no significant increase in benefits and increased risk of side effects (esp. bleeding).

Opiates (Buprenorphine, Morphine, fentanyl, Codeine) may be an option.

• MagdalenaLee
    8 years ago

Oh Amy, I'm so sorry. If she's in pain and it's not controlled then it's time. Not after the holidays, but right now.

amykath thanked MagdalenaLee
  • busybee3
    8 years ago

it's so hard to know what is 'right' to do! i always feel that if i'm struggling a lot with what is the right thing to do, it is still too soon...

i would definitely give rimadyl or tramadol a try first...

she is beautiful... i have a similar looking dog who is 12 1/2 ... a real sweetheart!

• llitm
    8 years ago

I'm not able to read through all the responses so this is probably a repeat, but if your pup is in pain then it is time. It just isn't fair to her and 15 is a good, long life. Sorry if this doesn't sound very empathetic but I've been through it a number of times and it's always the hardest decision a pet owner ever has to make. Thoughts are with you.

• amykath
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you ALL for your kindness, suggestions and empathy! We took her to the vet and got her pain meds and meds for a bladder infection. She seems better for now. I have a house full of 10 ppl and I cannot bear to do this right now. I am easing her pain until everyone has left. That will be on the 26th and then if she is not happy I will take her and put her down. I cried so much last night I was a terrible host to my guests today and my eyes were nearly swollen shut. I think we will all be okay for the next few days. I will keep you posted.

Thanks again, for being here for me. You all are so dear to me even though we have not officially "met". I feel you all know so much about me and moreso my situation.

I love this forum so much! Again, thank you for taking your time out of of your busy holiday schedule to write. It means so much!

• User
    8 years ago

((hugs))

• User
    8 years ago

Just want to send more hugs (((Amy))). I'm so sorry for what you're going through.

• User
    8 years ago

Oh gosh...I know this isn't easy, but if it's just her joints, I would hope that like Mimi has said there are things that can help her feel better. My vet told me once that many of the things that help humans can help our pets too, especially dogs.

If you can't get her to the Vet until after the holiday, maybe you can comfort her with some heat. If you have a heated blanket you or heating pad she can use, it may help to relieve some of the aching. The vet might also be able to prescribe something temorarily until they can fit her in. Maybe you can call them and ask.

I am really sorry she's not feeling well and your heart is breaking, but don't give up just yet.

• User
    8 years ago

I'm sorry Amy for the pain you are in. That is the saddest part about owning a pet,is knowing the time will come when you have to say good bye. You will feel in your heart when that time has come. Take solace in knowing you have given her a wonderful life and much love, she is a very lucky lady.

• Renovator Girl
    8 years ago

Amy, I am so sorry. It is a very difficult decision. Our pet likewise told us that it was time. I also suggest looking for a traveling veterinarian. We were able to find a vet who would come to our house. Our beloved cat was able to die in familiar surroundings with all of the people she loved, rather than in fear and confusion at the vet's office.

P.S. Ditto on the heated blanket.

• Springroz
    8 years ago

Hugs to you and your family......it is so hard to decide. We are blessed with these animals because they come to us knowing we will take care of them. Now, there is a special angel child who needs her comfort....

• busybee3
    8 years ago

it may be nice to have the vet come to your house- i know with our cat, that would definitely be a good thing because she HATES going in the car and to the vet.

but, our dogs all have always loved the vet's office- they all have loved car rides and the vet was not scary at all for them, so in terms of where the injection is given, if your dog has a similar viewpoint as mine, i would say do what is easiest and is less traumatic for you when the time comes...

• IdaClaire
    8 years ago

Amy, your last post was so moving. I'm so very sorry you're going through this, and want you to know we're thinking of you. (((((Hugs)))))

• amykath
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I wanted to give you all an update. As I mentioned before we took our dog to the vet. She had a bladder infection and is on an antibiotic. We also put her on a pain med. She is doing so much better! No more accidents in the house (YAY!). She also is getting around much better and seems so much happier. So, I won't be putting her down unless I see that she is in pain. She eats a lot and drinks a lot too.

THANK YOU all for the support! It has not been an easy time.

• Funkyart
    8 years ago

So glad to hear it! Thanks for letting us know of her improvements.. many hugs to you both!

• akl_vdb
    8 years ago

So glad to hear she is on the mend. Poor puppy :(

Such a sad time when they are hurting.

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

What a way better alternative! What a relief for all of you. Happy to hear she's feeling so much better.

• aok27502
    8 years ago

Hooray! So glad she's feeling better. I need to start our old girl on pain meds, her hips obviously hurt.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

So glad for the good news!

• anitamo
    8 years ago

Great update! That is so good to hear she's responding to the meds.

• busybee3
    8 years ago

yay!! it is awesome to see old dogs get some pain relief and that bounce in their steps again! hope this lasts a while!!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    8 years ago

oh yippee! It will be a happy new year after all!!! So happy for you and for her, especially.

• blfenton
    8 years ago

Oh I'm so glad she's feeling better. That's the important thing, isn't it.

• lascatx
    8 years ago

Much better news that the update I was expecting when I opened this. UTIs can be really bad and a bit tricky to doagnose in pets as well as people (young or old) with limited communication. Glad to know it's good news and she's doing better.