Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karen_2004

sink vs no sink in new kitchen island purchase?

karen whiteman
8 years ago

We are doing a major reno in our house. One of the things we can't seem to decide on is "do we have a sink and dishwasher on the new island or place them along the wall with the counter? We are leaning toward not having a sink on the island so there is less clutter, especially when entertaining

Comments (12)

• joker514
    8 years ago

Are you planning to leave the island completely blank or will you put the stovetop there instead?

I agree, I rather sink be on a wall so that the dirty dishes are more hidden and we have a tendency to leave out hand washed dishes to dry right near it. We have the sink on our peninsula and have that clutter problem. We end up clearing off everything when we have parties, even soap, sponges, and rags to keep it clean looking. However, then we can't find them when someone inevitably spills something. :)

• PRO
    Keystone Homes
    8 years ago

It could be very expensive to add a sink to the island (depending on the type of construction) so unless you really need to have it (sounds optional if you are asking), I'd spend my money on something else.

• dawna177
    8 years ago

I personally love a big island with nothing on it. Its makes the island appear larger, and more space for baking.

• PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    8 years ago
    I have an eight foot island facing my living area. It is our primary prep area and has a giant sink, dishwasher, trash, etc. Soap dispenser built in. Stove went on a sidewall to simplify venting.
  • PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    8 years ago
    As counterpoint, my island is a prep island not eat in- it has cabinets all around with no overhang. My breakfast table is just opposite and that is where 'life' happens in my kitchen. My island is the center of the house in a party- drinks staged on the table, food staged on the island, and dirty dishes stacked in the 11" deep sink. My last house had the sink facing a wall- not again!
  • pooks1976
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

For me it is more about what I want to look at while I am doing dishes. I like watching TV, so I like my sink in the island, which faces the TV. Some people like looking out a window. Anywhere but looking at a wall.

• swamp
    8 years ago
    My sink is on the outside wall. Island ( 9 1/2' by 3 1/2') has induction cooktop in the middle across from sink. We do have a modern vent over induction.
    The island is used for reading mail, business paperwork, and entertaining . We do have 3 stools on far end. Everyone hangs out in kitchen. Dirty dishes are on either side of sink out of the way and not too visible. Since my cooktop is flat surface I can use that for warming foods or vases of flowers.
    The island is control center for kitchen. If I could have put sink in its own space away from main part of kitchen it would improve an already good functioning space.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 years ago

I have an island with 2 back to back sinks and still have lts of space for entertaining my island is 4’ x 9'

• Nancy Myrick Bigford
    8 years ago
    Ugh don't put the sink in the island if the island is going to be THE gathering spot. What a mistake! Dirty dishes now become the kitchen focal
    Point.
  • lucidos
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

A great alternative is to put a prep sink on the island and have the main sink on the cabinet run. When entertaining you can cover the small sink if need be. What two sinks allow is two cooks to manage in the kitchen or separate stations while cleaning and cooking.

They even have retractable faucets.

• PRO
    AhmadDoors
    8 years ago
    We can build countertops for you if you want.

AhmadDoors.com