Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bsalameh04

Do you like this room? Please be honest ?

Sam
8 years ago
I posted this a while back just wanted some more opinions ...

Comments (30)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 years ago

I like the space your art is hung too high, mantel should have a couple of larger pieces not a bunch of little stuff and i can’t tell you how much I dislike clocks in entertaining spaces I find they are a constant reminder of the time instead of just enjoying the evening so I would just add the larger taller pieces to the mantel and thats it. other than that I think this is avery inviting space

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

You have all the basics. I agree the clock should go and all the little stuff on the mantle. You have a grey and coco color scheme, and I don't think I would have selected red as an accent color for the pillows and accessories. You're a bit light on art for the room & I"m pretty sure the wall that has the TV on it looks pretty bare.

• Rina
    8 years ago

Overall I like it very much. I agree the mantle needs a different approach. Is that actually a mirror in the fireplace? I think that's a little bit strange, if it is. Original idea, but it would make me feel uncomfortable.In the other pic, your wall baskets look cramped and a bit too high. The middle one seems to be pushing at the ceiling.

• PRO
    New England Design & Construction
    8 years ago

Looks like a very cozy room! Whats not to like? I would suggest adding more picture frames to the wall on the left. It is a big wall and I only see maybe four frames there.. Don't be afraid to add more!

• Rina
    8 years ago

I meant to comment that the room has a beautifully relaxing feeling to it. (The putative mirror aside.)

• PRO
    AhmadDoors
    8 years ago

Love it. But marble would look better. Let us know if we can assist.

AhmadDoors.com

• Sam
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks for all the help guys I appreciate
  • Rina
    8 years ago

Another PS -- I love the touch of purple in the folded throw.

• PRO
    Garden State Tile
    8 years ago

I agree w/the above comments: it's mostly the accessories that need help. Putting the tv over the fireplace will enable a singular focal point allowing the seating to be more conversational instead of spread out.

And some window treatments will help warm up the space. I'd go w/sheer roman shades, maybe some silk panels.

• zzuoh99
    8 years ago
    I have a similar room. All your pieces are rather solid and of equal height. I would mix it up a bit. I moved my sofa to the opposite wall and put a console table behind it. Your chairs could go opposite the repositioned sofa. I moved the TV down toward the fireplace and tucked it into the corner. Your ottoman is too large, weighing the room down. If that is another sofa at the front of the room I would try removing it. If it is an oversized matching chair I would move it right of center. You need an area rug to anchor the room.
  • Sam
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Last question.... What do you guys think about hardwood floors or marble floors instead of the carpet in that room ?
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

Can't have marble unless you want to change the kitchen floor at the same time. Hardwood would be a better choice for this room.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

• teamaltese
    8 years ago
    I would move the chairs in closer to the sofa. Right now, everything is too far apart, and doesn't look connected. Otherwise, great job!
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    8 years ago

The carpet is working just fine right now. Don't change flooring just to "change" something. If you want new flooring, plan to change a LOT OF FLOORING. The kitchen tile seems like it might be dated...but it runs through somewhere else. It is connected so changing it would mean changing a whole bunch of stuff.

If you want new flooring for this space then plan on changing a lot of flooring. Have a plan for the next 5-7 years. If that plan includes replacing ALL FLOORING then go ahead and plan that way. Do it all at once so that you don't run into the same dilemma many people have run into: "Help! The floor I bought 2 years ago is discontinued! Now what do I do? I have 3 more rooms to add flooring to but can't find it anywhere! Please help!"

Don't do a "room by room" change without a plan and KNOWING that flooring has a shelf life. If you change the flooring make sure you have PLANS for what will happen in the near future. Plan it out.

Personally I would rather see a fantastic area rug in front of the sitting area/TV to add a bit more cohesion. That would be my "change the flooring" option for right now.

• PVT 18
    8 years ago
    Yo the layout is SWEET with the slanted ceiling and black leather ottoman- but those grey-cloth couches look like they belong in a nursing home. Get some modern, sleek black leather furniture and it will transform that room into something amazing.
  • User
    8 years ago

I like the room. It has a very relaxing vibe to it. You have a caramel brown paint and tan fireplace brick which is very earthy and comfy. I suggest adding brown or tan or cream accent pillows instead of the red. Powder blues go well with grays and browns, they add an airy element So I guess i would lean more towards a grey/browns/light blues palette.

I too would place the TV on the mantle above the fireplace, then you could use the wall where the tv currently is as a "statement wall" with larger, cohesive artwork, or a big collage of your most liked photos with similar, interesting frames.

I also like your current carpet, if you would like a change for flooring, rugs are a great option. I like the ottoman you have. Hope all goes well!

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Room is gray and beige...like it. I would continue that combo in your pillows, and not have the other colors. Add add a large tray on ottoman.

Doral Coastal Beach Cotton Down Brown Grey Graphic Pillow - 18x18 · More Info
    La Jolla Rattan Rectangular Serving Tray, White-Wash · More Info
    Can you pull the two chairs in a bit closer to conversation area?

• User
    8 years ago

Definitely need a tray for the ottoman.

• Lila
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

The room looks great as does the layout. I doubt that the tv would even fit over the mantle and it looks good where it is. Your carpet looks very nice. I agree with the majority that you just need a few tweaks. The colour palette is muted so the red pillows grab too much attention. The artwork is too small and the clock on the mantle doesn't do the room any favours. Other than those little things; I think you've nailed it.

• nadd2
    8 years ago

Do I like this room? Yes.

• wickedwhite
    8 years ago
    Your family room doesn't look like this now does it? I thought this was a picture of the house before you bought it? Are you now considering this layout for your furniture?
  • Sam
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @whicked white ....I'm debating whether to get this set up! I have my tv on top of the fireplace with leather furniture but I really like the new setup with the blue furniture and the tv on a stand!
  • wickedwhite
    8 years ago
    I understand. The photos in this post were likely professional (for listing purposes) so the quality is very high. Lighting, framing, composition etc are perfect.
    The downside to this setup (and there are only a few) is the sofa blocks the bay window. You will lose some light and the view. Also unless you mount your tv on the wall, you will see the wires behind the set as you enter the room. You might be able to hide them with a plant or something, but it's worth noting.
    Are you looking to buy new furniture?
  • alicejean
    8 years ago
    Everything zzuoh99 said. Except, for me, no area rug over carpeting. The big, dark ottoman is the first thing I would replace.
  • Sam
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @wicked white .... Yes I went to art van yest found some nice gray leather couches didn't buy them yet but very interested in them.... Btw I'm getting a lot of mix reviews bout the ottamon some people love it and others are tellin me to get rid of it ?
  • Jennifer Dube
    8 years ago

I'm not a fan of the matchy-matchy sofa, loveseat, and chair. Mix it up. I also get this sense that the furniture is a tad too oversized for the room? The chair looks inviting but seems too big where it is... it'd be great if the sofa could be moved forward a bit so it's not blocking the bay windows so much. I'm also not a fan of W2W, especially white, except in bedrooms because it gets ugly fast. If you can't replace the flooring I would put down an area rug on top of the carpet. I also think the console is not wide enough for the size of the t.v. How often will you use this room for t.v. watching? Do you have another space for the t.v.?

• Rick N
    8 years ago
    It's fine but fairly predictable and impersonal. I can't tell anything about you from this foto. Are you looking to change it? It's a great space and you could do a lot with it.
  • wickedwhite
    8 years ago
    This is your current room right?
    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/need-help-with-my-living-room-dsvw-vd~3571296
    Can you post a picture in daylight with blinds open?
    Personally I would consider hardwood in this room and smaller scale furniture. Can you give us the dimensions? We can work on a new layout for you.
    Also... Do you have a pic of the grey sofa you are considering?