Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wrongsidedriver

What would be some of the best wall colors ?

Regina Herring
8 years ago
We have an open concept kitchen and living area .. and we can't seem tod ecide on what to put on the walls. There are various heights of ceiling , and I'd really like to compliment the cabinets. most everything in our decor and sofa are shades of creams, browns and greys.

Comments (28)

• PRO
    Bailey Construction & Painting
    8 years ago

Have you thought of a neutral casa blanca, or for a darker look "better beige" they're both Sherwin William's colors.

• Regina Herring
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks! I will look those up! Here's a little more of my story.. brown sofas, and a few pics of the new space with some sample colors I was wondering if ok to use... I do have a large beige rug to place under the sofas too.
  • Regina Herring
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    The blank wall pics above are our new place. Complete kitchen remodel going on, and I'm so excited about it , that I'm afraid of choosing the wrong colors for the walls!
  • Regina Herring
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    The blank wall pics above are our new place. Complete kitchen remodel going on, and I'm so excited about it , that I'm afraid of choosing the wrong colors for the walls!
  • Regina Herring
    Original Author
    8 years ago
  • Regina Herring
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks! That looks like a nice color. I could really use some color!
  • Regina Herring
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    How about this color?
  • Regina Herring
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    at luke, I have found "accessible beige" by SW.. it's a nice color. I think I will paint all walls that color to begin with, and add an accent after I see how my furniture looks in the room. thank you!
  • sandradclark
    8 years ago

Choose wall color as the last decor item. Flooring should come first. Not easy to change a floor, so easy to paint a room. Have fun with the project.

• Regina Herring
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    thank you sandra!
  • sandyandconnigardner
    8 years ago
    I have accessible beige SW in an open format house and am not happy with it. It is neither too light nor too dark. It's just blah. Wish I had gone with a deeper tone. Don't make my mistake.
  • Regina Herring
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    well, I tried to convince my "better half " to wait until the floor and cabinets were installed but he's convinced he wants to paint before he installs them ..I haven't chosen a countertop yet either because I'm afraid of putting something uncomplementary next to the flooring or cabinets. Hopefully I can convince him to wait and then we can make a better choice. This room doesn't get a lot of natural light either....so lighting needs to be addressed as well.
    I think I'm not ready to commit to the wall colors yet! lol.
  • sandyandconnigardner
    8 years ago
    Accessible beige reflects light in the 50s. Have 7 big windows in the public area of our home so the paint color is fine. The entry and halls have much less natural light so the walls seem to absorb light rather than reflect it. Baths are the same way even with an abundance of artificial light. Your stairwell and area below probably would do better with a paint that has a higher light reflection percentage.
  • Regina Herring
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I'll be picking countertops today! (I'm excited about it ). And making a trip to the paint store for samples afterward. I think accessible beige is a nice color, and I'll need to choose a white color for the ceiling .
    Did you use the same color on every wall ?
  • Linda Sparks
    8 years ago
    We gutted a 1940 ranch home. Looking for trim options. Will be stained to match floor. We like these options. Thoughts?
  • S Bailey
    8 years ago

Big fan of Alaskan husky (BM) -- in our house, depending on the light and time of day, it can feel like a warm gray, a warm blue gray, a warm greige or even a little hint of warm green/gray.

• J J
    8 years ago

The Alaskan husky looks interesting. I also like green. Imo

• sandyandconnigardner
    8 years ago
    Wrongsidedriver, yes, all the walls in the house are painted accessible beige. With the open format I didn't want things to look choppy. Figured I could emphasize stronger colors with area rugs/pillows/duvets. I think I would be happier with my paint choice if I had insisted on SW cashmere finish. But...the walls were painted with the best incorrect color 2x already. When I walked in and saw the wrong finish, I just gave up. Cashmere finish paint in a prior house made the walls soooo much easier to clean. Painter's grade just rubs off on the cloth when I try to clean little grandsons' handprints.
  • Regina Herring
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Oh my! ok.. my first grandchild is on the way so I guess I should not use a "flat." Lol.
  • Regina Herring
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I didn't get anything done today, so I'll check in with you tomorrow. (Elderly mom needed me today ). :)
  • Regina Herring
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    It looks like these are going to be the basics of my kitchen. :)
  • Regina Herring
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Lol.. this is nice as well...
  • Regina Herring
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    fresh paint :) new cabinets arrive in a few days.
  • Regina Herring
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    progress!
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    8 years ago

I would go with neutral gray, grayish. Looks good with brown.

Redmond Re-Think Kitchen · More Info

• Regina Herring
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    art work , flooring, almost done kitchen. yay!
  • Regina Herring
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    art work , flooring, almost done kitchen. yay!