Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heather_hartwig86

Meyer Lemon Tree - Can it survive an Iowa Winter?

Heather Hartwig
8 years ago

In June I moved from sunny Southern California to Central Iowa. I brought my meyer lemon tree that I have had for almost 2 years now. It was full of leaves and did wonderful.... until late fall. Is there any way to save this? It's 34 degrees F now with snow on the ground. It was outside for a bit, but I brought it in. Is there any hope? There is also mold on the soil. Thank you.

Photos are from October 2014 vs today.

Comments (17)

• parker25mv
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Meyer lemons resulted from a cross between citron and mandarin, so I think that tree is going to have trouble hanging on in Iowa during the winter. Meyer lemons are not as cold-hardy as other lemon trees.

• Heather Hartwig
    Original Author
    8 years ago

So CPR won't work? :p I wish I had left the tree behind with family, it makes me sad to see it die. Some websites say meyer lemon trees can thrive inside, but other sites say it's unlikely. I can move the tree so it has more light (it's just very heavy and dripping water from the snow that was on it).

According to a farming site online: "- Lemons and Limes - small trees that are attractive ornamental; some are very hardy such as Meyer Lemons, and will take temperatures in the low 20s or even colder!"

I brought mine in and that's when the leaves dropped. I put it back outside, but the wind got it. Should I just give up or are there things I can try? If it does die, what fruit tree would survive a freezing winter? Thank you!

• Heather Hartwig
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Would new soil help it? The soil is looking sad. I took the mold layer off. Should I go easy on watering?

(Note that I have a black thumb to begin with, I'm terrible at keeping things alive)

• Heather Hartwig
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I think what saddens me the most is I watered it for 2 years, spent over $60 on it, and didn't get a single ripe lemon.

• campv 8b AZ
    8 years ago

Heather like I said I did the same thing, bought the tree in San Marcos Ca. and paid a good price for it. I didn't want to leave mine either along with a patio ficus both died from the cold. I should have left them with my sis @ least now they would be alive. We all learn that some places we just can't grow stuff( I would absolutely die for a Avocado tree, not going to happen) Ok any tree that loses its leaves will do fine with your temps. I have pears, apricots, plums, nectarines and apples. My lowest temp so far this year is 18. I really think you are wasting your time just like I did. Put the thing somewhere out side where you can't see it(out of sight out of mind) and in March go buy yourself a nice fruit tree. Sorry

• Heather Hartwig
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I have had a lifetime dream of owning avocado trees, but I am doomed to stay in Iowa (most likely) because of my husbands job :p I heard apples and pears do well here, I will definitely be getting those. I may try those in the spring. If they're "young" trees, should I keep them in the pot until they're mature or do they survive winters from the beginning? It gets below 0 here, average low in January is 12. Thank you, I appreciate the time you're taking to help me. I want to have a green thumb in the future. I have always wanted a backyard full of fruit trees. When I was a child we rented a house that had lemons, limes, oranges, and apples. It was the best thing and hope to make my home just like that (buying a house this year or next).

• campv 8b AZ
    8 years ago

Heather when you get ready, get back on this site and ask people from your AREA of Iowa what's the best ones to buy. DON'T buy from a big box store, sometimes they sell stuff that's not meant for your area. Ask neighbors what they got, do your home work. Some fruit trees need a certain amount of chill hours. Check it all out before you spend your money. All trees do better if they are planted in the ground even young ones. If you plan on moving some time in the next year and the pot is big enough you can start it in it, but plan on putting it in the ground as soon as you can. You will do fine!

• Heather Hartwig
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you!

• nmfruit
    8 years ago

Sorry for the disappointment… But, yes, there are many things that will grow where you are, and no, they don't need to be in a pot at first, they can be planted out directly when you buy them. Many kinds of plums, certain cherries, and dozens of less common fruits will do also do fine in your climate.

Of course, if you are willing to do some extra work, citrus and many other subtropical as well as tropical fruits can be grown in pots that you bring indoors for the winter. Check out the citrus forum for all the techniques (lighting, care, etc…).

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    8 years ago

Meyer lemon will grow fine in Iowa - just not outdoors in winter :-)

Meyer lemons (which are actually hardier/more cold tolerant than a 'true' lemon) are an extremely popular houseplant in areas of the country where they can't be grown outdoors. Most folks who grow them in this manner - obviously in a container - have them outside during the warm months of the year and bring them indoors during the colder, winter months. And they will routinely produce fruit!!

Meyers will tolerate a light frost but I'd avoid exposing them to temps below around 40F, especially when container grown. They need a period of transition before the transfer from indoors to out and back again, typically a somewhat general acclimation to the change in environment of a few days. Indoors they need bright but indirect light. You will find many discussions about growing Meyers indoors on both the Container Gardening and the House Plants forums. Same for growing Ficus benjimina or patio fig trees - another extremely commonly grown houseplant that is a popular landscape plant in CA

FWIW, many folks also grow avocados as house plants but unfortunately these are highly unlikely to produce fruit.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    8 years ago

I had a Meyer for over 15 years. It spent summers outside and November - March in an unheated glass porch. It fruited regularly. Death was not due to the weather but to eventual neglect.

• Kevin Reilly
    8 years ago

According to a farming site online: "- Lemons and Limes - small trees that are attractive ornamental; some are very hardy such as Meyer Lemons, and will take temperatures in the low 20s or even colder!"

When you see quotes like that for subtropical/tropical plants is usually for a short period of time (and hour or two below freezing). A whole night of that would kill them.

• parker25mv
    8 years ago

It is theoretically possible to grow anything anywhere—it's just a matter of how much trouble you're willing to go to. I had an idea for a greenhouse enclosure with modular flat panel walls that could be easy to put up in the winter and easily stored somewhere else during the warm season. Something big enough to be able to enclose a small tree. Maybe put this enclosure up against a south-facing wall.

• canadianplant
    8 years ago

You could try what some people do with palm trees: Wrap them in c9 christmas lights, and then wrap a double wall with plastic and chicken wire. Fill the space between the walks with leaves. Hook it up to a thermocube to make sure itonly comes on when it is below 0C. A buddy of mine grows palm trees in Iowa doing this

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    8 years ago

sorry but Its a goner. Aside from local nurseries harris citrus and four winds are most commonly recommended here for citrus. I have bought from harris and the quality and price was excellent. Many others have bought from four winds with great success but they can be a little more pricey. The citrus forum here is pretty active so head over and ask questions. I have been growing citrus in Oklahoma for 6 years and have not lost a single one but they do not stay outside below 40. I move them into the greenhouse before then. Just this past weekend our low was 12 degrees. This year I plan to plant one in the ground and build a structure around it for winter.

• pip313
    8 years ago

Give briteleaf a try. They use the very excellent us 897 rootstock on the dwarf's. I love their trees. And I own over a dozen four winds trees. Briteleaf over four winds for 1 year old trees. Four winds has it for the 3 year olds. But their rootstock isn't the greatest. too cold to order though.