Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jpmom

Updating kitchen - need to make some decisions

jpmom
8 years ago

Our home is 10 years old. We bought it new - but it was a spec, so we couldn't choose anything except for wall paint.

Our initial plan was to do a total re-do of the kitchen, but for the sake of the budget, we decided to go the "update" route.

Here is what we plan to do:

1: I hired professional cabinet painter who will paint all the cabinets, install soft close hinges, install drawer pull-outs in all cabinets and build new cabinets to take them all the way to ceiling.

We chose white for the cabinets and navy blue for the island.

2: Granite backsplash on cooktop wall and glass backsplash on wet bar wall will be removed and subway tile installed. Contrasting grout in some shade of gray

3. Update appliances:

New double oven with warming drawer beneath (minor modifications to this cabinet and electric work necessary) - Thermador 30"

New cooktop - Thermador - 30" gas

New stainless hood - Proline PLJW 108

New dishwasher - free with purchase of 2 thermador appliances

New Microwave installed in wet bar area - hung in place of where the wine glasses hang

4. Update Island Lighting — something in steel - Like the restoration hardware styles.

remove pendant lighting over the bar top - replace with recessed lights

5. All new hardware

Here are some questions that have:

My granite is Volga Blue. I like it, but prefer a honed look. I don't really want to take on the expense of new granite. My tile guy can buff it to give it a honed look. What do you think? I have not been able to find any samples of a honed Volga Blue.

I would like to replace the granite on the island with a white quartz. I will also add a 12 inch overhang so we can place two stools under for extra seating. Here is my inspiration photo as for color choices:

If I do not treat the black granite and leave it polished, will a shiny white quartz look ok on the island? Most kitchens I see with black on the perimeter and a white island have a black honed granite - typically Absolute Black (I think that's what this photo is)

My biggest decisions right now are lighting, hardware and the granite dilemma.

The lighting & hardware can wait a bit - but the granite is more pressing.

My overall style has become more transitional (used to be more traditional). Clean lines and bright. I like a beachy feel too.

Would greatly appreciate your thoughts!

Comments (4)