Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
designsaavy

Calcutta Gold Backsplash Tile with Black Countertop?

designsaavy
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I really need your expert advice.

I got samples of several tiles from Artistic Tile. I pretty much only liked the white toned ones and didn't care for the crackle tile.

I have leathered Black Pearl granite with white cabinets. Would the warm tones of the Calcutta gold look good with black? I'm on the fence because I only have one tile so it's hard to visualize.

Here's the kitchen as it is right now. Still have to get the 9" tall crown molding. There's plexiglass behind the range temporarily.

Not the greatest pictures.

I've tried searching online, but really have only seen Carrara with black countertops. There's so many different brands out there and I don't like really busy marble.

I'm just at a loss about what will look good with the Black Pearl besides basic white subway tile. I'm open to other shapes, but I'm thinking whatever tile we choose will go up to the bottom of the range hood at 33" and be at that height around the entire perimeter.

The cabinets are Barker's Dover White which are not a bright white.

Any suggestions? Thanks. :-)

Comments (76)

• rebunky
    8 years ago

Yes, I think I understand what you are saying about the height of the tile on that short range wall going up higher and not wanting to elongate the tapered hood.

Can you post a straight on shot of the hood wall? That would help us see if there's a way to minimize it. If you want, I could do some fun mock ups for you with the different sizes or shapes in the Calcutta gold. :-)

Oh that's too bad about the brackets cuz those are very cool. They would have gone great with the dark hutch next to it.

Are you adding crown above the upper cabinets still? If you could do an extra thick crown maybe that would make the hood look less tall? But honestly, I didn't even notice it being super elongated in your picture. I'm sure it looks fine, but I still hear ya.

I love the antique pendant light! Maybe you can find an antique gold chain at a lighting store or online? Or hopefully can find an "antique gold" spray paint for the chain that matches? I think you can get those new candle cover thingies, I don't know what they are called either. Obviously. Lol!

• rebunky
    8 years ago

I was thinking more about what you said about doing the middle band of the hood darker and leaving the top and bottom molding white. I think you meant something like this but with the white band at the top also?

I am thinking maybe it would bring the eye down more if instead you did the lower band dark (maybe even with the brackets?) then left the rest above it white. I did a quick search and couldn't find a good example, but something like this. To me, I focus my eyes on the darker wood surround and then the top section in white disappears more into the wall. Just a thought....

I found a few more by typing in "white range hood wood trim"

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Unfortunately, I'm not sure anything can make this hood look less tall. Having no cabinet space to speak of on each side just emphasizes it more. I just took down the plexiglass we have up for now to take this straight on pic.

9" crown molding still has to be color matched, painted and installed. But, the hood is still a lot taller than that. Wish I would have had the budget to do stacked uppers on the sink wall.

Mock-ups? That would be awesome! I don't know how to do that. Thank you so much, that would be great.

I had even thought about putting a slab of soapstone with dramatic veins just behind the stove...but thought it would still elongate and then regular tile everywhere else would look funny. That's why I was thinking backsplash tile to the bottom edge of hood.

Wall paint color is BM Revere Pewter.

Island is not finished yet. Just a temporary countertop for now with one of the damaged frig. panels and the drawer fronts and end panels, etc still to be painted.

• motherwallace
    8 years ago

Walker Zanger carries tons of tiles that aren't on their website. If there is one close by it's worth the trip. If you order tile from WZ ask them to open a few of the boxes so you can see the range of color/pattern of the tiles. As long as it remains in the store/warehouse you're not required to "accept" (pay for) it. However, once it leaves it's yours whether you like it or not! I had ordered "Tanget" in calacatta gold but when I went to look at "my" tile it was mostly white with very little variation or the beautiful veining I was paying for!! I decided against it and was not charged for it. They were very accommodating. I think calacatta would look great in your kitchen. Can't wait to see the full reveal.

• rjknsf
    8 years ago

I just spent the day at a fancy law firm that had calcatta gold EVERYWHERE! I'm talking flooring, walls, counters, desks. The flooring was done as a large format tile. For some reason, the more I looked at it the less I liked it.

After thinking about bout it this evening, I think it's because there is so much variation with that marble. It can be very white, sort of a cream color, lots of veining, or little veining. When laid out randomly as tile, there is just too much going on.

there re is also this: https://www.gardenista.com/posts/my-dirty-secret-or-how-i-learned-to-live-with-a-marble-backsplash?utm_source=remodelista&utm_medium=pubexchange

• amykath
    8 years ago

gw · More Info
    I love the calcutta and the third pic eam posted. We used crema marfil. I love using polished marble as a BS.

You have a gorgeous kitchen. I thing the calcutta will look fabulous!

• makmartell
    8 years ago

Found it! It's in the 'Paradigm' collection. Here's the link, from there click on the 4x16 tile, and it'll give you a choice of colors. Don't know why they hide it in the 'stone mosaic' category.

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks. They sure don't give you any info on their product. There's one place in St. Louis area that the Walker Zanger website says carries it. I'll check it out.

I noticed they have a Calcutta porcelain, but I think it only came in 12x12. Wonder how that would look?

• rebunky
    8 years ago

Okay I played a little!

I added crown to your upper cabs, but it is super wonky! I'm sure it's way off to the 9" scale too. I tried making some door trim also. I don't know what your plan for the door trim is, but I made the top piece a little taller so it lined up with the crown on the hood. I liked the symmetry. I had in mind something like this.

Then I played with the height to bring the backsplash tile. I think this is what you were describing, going just to the bottom of the hood?

I wondered how it would look if it went up to the top of the crown piece on the hood and lined up with door trim height.

I kind of like that better because it seems to cut the height of the hood more. Idk, I'm not a tile expert, so hopefully others will weigh in.

Oh and sorry I had to make your tile BLUE! Haha!

It was the only tile background I could make work on my iPad app. You'll have to just imagine that beautiful marble instead. I tried to paste in the marble, but it wasn't cooperating today.

I know a few are really good with photoshop and/or paint, (not me!) so maybe someone else can play once you find the size tile you like in the marble.

I also wanted to say that I think the hood looks great as is. I'd leave it alone. Once the 9" crown is added to the cabinets, it will help a whole bunch. You could set something decorative on the hood mantle to break it up a little too. I am sure it will turn out gorgeous!

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Rebunky....thank you bunches!!! You have talent. That really helps to visualize. I had mentioned to dh going higher with the trim to the next highest trim and he was like, "I don't think that will look right". HA!!! I can show him this now and show him how much better it will look. And gloat just a little :-)

Not sure when I'll be able to go see tile. I'm having gall bladder surgery on Mon. :( But, hopefully it won't be too long.

If anyone has the capability to mock up a marble to see what it's like, that would be wonderful.

Thanks again, rebunky. Sending hugs your way.

• romy718
    8 years ago

That's a great job Rebunky. I really like the addition of the casing above the door.

I also really like Namarie's calacatta & think it would look great with your black countertops & black armoire.

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The door casing looks great!

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

I'd go with large scale tiles or perhaps even a slab.

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I agree with that, definitely! Can't afford a slab, but larger tiles would look less busy.

• rebunky
    8 years ago

No problem. I hope your surgery goes well. If I can ever figure out how to do that on paint program, I will try to mock up the marble for ya.

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you. :-)

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    8 years ago

Designsaavy, I saw your comments on another thread about your armoire. I just wanted to say, I think it looks great and I love the photo you posted of your kitchen!

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Corie. It's working out really well as a microwave station. The doors slide in out of the way. It really is quite pretty. Took 3 men to carry it in. Still can't believe I got it for $100 :-)

I know there have been some threads about Calacutta porcelain tile and I'd be curious to see if there's anything that looks a lot like the real thing so I could put it on the island countertop as well as the backsplash.

• eam44
    8 years ago

Design, have you considered painting the upper portion of your tall hood the same color as your wall?

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

eam, I had seen somewhere where someone had done that with a tall run of drywall above hood where the vent run was on a tall ceiling. I considered it for a moment. If anything I've considered wrapping it in another material in the center main section, leaving the bottom and the top molding white. But maybe that would just draw more attention to it. :-(

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    8 years ago

I have friend who has porcelain marble tiles in her master bathroom with gold/tan running through them, they are beautiful. She bought them from The Tile Shop. I considered using them in some of the bathrooms in our new house, but decided against them because the pattern was too predictable for me.

I used Carrara marble on my perimeter countertops. I considered other marbles, Danbury, etc. but decided that I could live with the etches much easier on a less expensive marble. I also considered doing a marble backsplash behind my range, but I was worried that the etches would be very visible on it and my family isn't great about cleaning up splatters.

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

That would be a concern with marble behind the range.

How do you all feel about doing a metal backsplash with shelf like this behind the range?

I love her kitchen.

There's a short metal backsplash on my range for the vent. My range also has about a 1/2" gap behind it from the wall. I could fill that gap with the metal and run it up to the same height as bottom of wall cabinets, and then have the metal shelf. The bottom of the hood sits 33" above the range, so there would be about 14" of drywall above the metal backsplash shelf to the hood.

I could still do the marble backsplash or beadboard for a backsplash everywhere else like in this kitchen. My only concern with beadboard is the cleanability...and moisture behind the sink because water will splash there.

• makmartell
    8 years ago

There is such a thing as beadboard-look tile - though when I was looking a year ago it was hard to find. Lemme poke around a bit, see if I find it again.

• makmartell
    8 years ago

Ok, found links. First, a GWer who used it: Ceramic-beadboard-backpslash-done. And places to find it: Waterworks, TileShop, Cancos, and Crossville. There may be more, but those were the ones I found the quickest. :)

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    8 years ago

I think the shelf looks good and the stainless would certainly be practical. I've got beadboard as my backsplash behind my open shelves which don't see a lot of cooking action. But, what has gotten on it, has washed right off. I do have a prep sink with beadboard behind it and so far it's not been an issue with water or stains. But, it doesn't get used as much as our main sink which is located on the island. The beadboard tile is great too. I believe I saw it at the Tile Shop as well when I was in the market.

Yes, they have it, it's called beadboard wainscoting. Here it is,

http://www.tile-shop.com/products/boiserie/boiserie.html

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks to both of you for those links.

I think I prefer subway tile or marble, but I think one of the things I like about using real beadboard is its economical.

Rebunky, do you have a way that you could put something like the stainless backsplash and shelf in my range wall pic? I'm concerned also that a shelf would block the rising steam or grease from getting to the vent. But, I like the look of it.

• farmdrmer
    8 years ago

I am having a similar dilemma!! I just posted a thread. I thought calacatta gold marble would be what I got for sure, it looks so beautiful with the warm white cabinets. Then my counters went in. I have honed Milky Way which has a lot of brown flecks in the black so was still ok, but I have marble on the island and it looked terrible with that. So now I'm back to plain backsplash. Or maybe the beadboard someone posted above, that is lovely! What will your island top be?

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I've been planning a walnut island top, but it really depends on what I use as a backsplash. The island still has to be painted and not sure what color yet. That will also depend on the backsplash. Doing it as budget allows.

• farmdrmer
    8 years ago

I think it will be lovely and come together well, good luck!!

• User
    8 years ago

Quick mock up. I didn't read all the comments. Beautiful space btw :)

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you MrsShayne for your help. I'm glad you did soapstone mockup because I was wondering how that would look. Don't think I care for it (really thought I would!) so now I can focus on either a stainless backsplash behind range with marble or white subway everywhere else or beadboard........or large format marble everywhere including behind range.

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here is my amateur attempt to draw my range area with larger format tile, Subway tile and beadboard. Some have stainless back splash with shelf behind range. Also one with wood bracket detail on the side view of wall cabinet. I don't know how to do this on the computer, so it's my feeble attempt. It's not to scale, of course.

If I did a white/off white subway, I would do a light gray or taupey color grout. If marble, white grout.

I like the cleanability of the stainless behind the range because there's definitely been splatters all over the temporary plexiglass we have there now. Just unsure if it will look good with my situation.

Thoughts?

• motherwallace
    8 years ago

I really like the large format tile. The subway looks somewhat busy. I don't like the stainless splash with shelf and breadboard. We had a breadboard back splash in the house we rented while remodeled and it was a nightmare to keep clean - all those little grooves!!

• rebunky
    8 years ago

Nice drawings DS!

I will try and do some mockups of the stainless with shelf, beadboard, etc, this evening if get time.

I was thinking about your hood delemma and was just wondering, could you possibly have had the hood venting go straight back into the laundry room behind the wall and then go up and out? Would that have been a possibility?

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks motherwallace and Rebunky.

The only way we could have made the hood shorter is to have gone through the wall to inside the laundry room and make a tall drywalled frame around the vent. Would have looked horrible in the laundry room and made a 90 degree turn and taken up what little space I have in there. We have a very long vent run. We were able to go on an angle directly into the attic over the laundry room ceiling and then it goes another 10 feet to the roof. So, we have at least an 18' run.

If it had been up to me, I would have closed up the sink window that faces my neighbors siding 12' away and placed my range there. We could have vented right out the back of a much shorter hood.

Budget trumped my design wants. :-(

I'm open for any suggestions.

I even considered at one time putting a fireback behind the range. !

Of course, they come in many designs, shapes and sizes.

• lisa_a
    8 years ago

Did some Paint playing for you.

A: SS panel from counter to hood with calacatta marble BS. Oh, I also added door trim, matching the detail on your hood.

B: No SS, just marble BS. Have you considered marble look-alike porcelain tiles? No concern about etching, etc and much easier to clean.

C: SS panel with shelf, not full height and only as wide as the range, with marble BS.

I think I prefer A or B. It's a cleaner look, IMO. My mock-up of C ended the shelf right at the bottom of a row of tiles but there's no way to know if that's how it will be IRL. I also think the wider sheet of SS is a better balance for your large hood. But that's just MHO. I'm much better with lay-outs than with design.

HTH!

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Lisa. That definitely helps! Door trim looks great! Are you able to put that marble up to the hood trim that's even with the top door trim? Also with white subway tile? Like Rebunky did with the blue subway tile?

I agree with you about the short stainless not looking good. It does look better wider as well.

Hmmm....I don't think I like the stainless. Wish that would have worked. I guess with my inspiration pic above with the stainless shelf, the range is much larger so I think it looks better.

Here's another drawing sorta depicting a fireback.

I think this elongates the hood area as well.

Definitely narrowing it down. I believe whatever goes on that wall, it needs to go up to the hood trim at the top of the door trim.

Thank you very much for your help, Rebunky and Lisa! :-)

• lisa_a
    8 years ago

Here is Option D with a fireback and marble tile higher on wall.

I really like this one. A lot. If my opinion matters, lol.

I'll look for an straight-on image of white subways to do the other elevation you asked for.

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow, Lisa! How did you find an actual fireback to insert? Never mind...my mind can't comprehend how to do that. :-/

I really like that, too! Looks WAY better than my drawing...actually no comparison. Hahaha. The black of a fireback would tie in with counters as well. Very Nice. !!

Actually, that's more gray, so I guess if I chose a gray one, then Carrara marble would probably look better that calacutta? Or would both work with gray or black fireback?

• lisa_a
    8 years ago

Here you go, options E and F

Didn't have much luck finding a straight-on shot of white subway in a soft white color, which is why the tile in the above 2 images is quite stark compared to your creaming white cabs.

• lisa_a
    8 years ago

Oh, and don't go by how colors look in images. The lighting when the image was taken and your monitor settings will alter how something looks IRL.

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I like the marble better, too. Of course I do....much more expensive! Wish my pocket book matched.

I prefer Calacutta, so that's good to hear. Now to find tile that has the warmth, but not so busy!

If you look at my initial, straight-on shot of the range wall on Jan. 21st, it's pretty spot-on with wall color. It's Revere Pewter. It reads very neutral with a warm edge.

Big hugs!

On Tuesday, a recommended cabinet painter is taking my unfinished crown molding, panel for back of island and unfinished drawer fronts for island to paint at his shop. I've decided to paint the island the same as the perimeter cabinetry. My main decision now is to decide between a marble island countertop and walnut.

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I plan to buy an antique wood door with glass to replace the door on the range wall. Hoping to add warmth with the wood. I would have loved beams somewhere, but can't afford them along the entire pitch of the ceiling.

• rebunky
    8 years ago

Oh sorry DS, I just remembered that I was going to do some mockups for you tonight! I don't get the email notices nor check my email to often to matter. Ha! If I don't see a thread on the first page, I easily get distracted and forget.

No matter though because Lisa did a WAY better job then I could. Wow! I absolutely love that fire back. I had no idea that is what they are called, but I think that looks really great! I think it was option D that felt best to me.

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, rebunky.

What do you all think about the size and shape of this fireback?

I like the design.

The stove is 30" wide and the backsplash area behind stove is 33" from burners to bottom of hood.

The short backsplash of the stove where the vent is, is 4" high, so that leaves 29" space from stove backsplash to hood.

The height of this fireback at the top of the arch is 23" and it's 24" wide.

What say you?

PS (omg....it's expensive.)

• rebunky
    8 years ago

I actually saw on another thread that your window above the kitchen sink is an arch shape. I was thinking it would be nice to tie in another arch somewhere. So I like that design. I don't know if the size or scale is correct here, but whatcha think?

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I like it, but I just showed dh and he prefers the big square shape better.

Geeze. Doesn't seem like he likes anything I like. :-(

Although I just pointed out to him that the straight lines of the square elongate the hood and the arched one makes you focus more on it rather than the height. He said, yeah, I can see that. So maybe I'll take that as approval? Lol.

I just can't seem to find a design I want in the rectangle or square. I like a floral motif like this....don't like the ones I see with animals, fruit, etc. And really, who wants Adam and Eve on your fireback...saw that one. Lol.

Guess I'll keep this one in mind and keep searching. What do you think of it?

Thanks Rebunky for putting that there for me to see. It's so hard to visualize.

• romy718
    8 years ago

I don't know. I like the size & scale of the one Lisa posted. It compliments your hood. I do hate to agree with DH over you.

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hmmm, I can see that. Maybe too small so it still emphasizes the hood size. That's ok Romy.......I need perspective.

If you all see some pretty firebacks for me to look at, let me know.

It's a shame I can't find something similar that's lighter weight than a cast iron fireback. It's not like it's in front of a fireplace....just for looks and cleanability

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!