Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danielehollywood

I need help with my 1971 cedar log chalet home renovation ideas

My Husband and I bought this charming 2000 square foot, two story cedar log chalet home in New York's Catskill ski mountain region four years ago. The top level is interlocking cedar wood log. The ground level is poured concrete. There is no basement or attic. I've done some budget decorating with inherited furniture, antique, and auction finds. I've had fun with some DIY decorating projects like the master bedroom headboard I made from vintage skis, and Pendleton upholstery. The hutch in the guest bedroom I chalk painted red was another DIY effort to furnish the home and provide more storage for linens. For the time being I'm interested in renovating the top floor where we spend most of our time.

We're interested in redoing the kitchen cabinets, and counter tops. I don't like the dated look of the cabinets, but we don't really have the budget to replace them. They are in very good condition and are study. I was thinking of staining them very dark brown almost black, installing a farm sink in either white or copper, and replacing the counters, and bachsplash with either natural stone with copper tones, or with marble. I'm fond of copper and have used it as an accent to brighten up the deep cedar tones. I'd also replace the cabinet pulls and faucet with wrought iron, or brass toned fixtures. I've toyed with the idea of having open shelving but since I have a wood burning stove I fear the dust would become a real problem. The entire house is electric and so the stove is also. I'd like to get a propane tank so we can get a gas stove. The fridge is ok but I'm open to suggestions. I also need an area for trash, and recycling. At the moment the trash can is the first thing you see when you open the door from the staircase to the kitchen. I know It's bad feng shui and I need a solution for it. I have a brown plastic trash bin under the island counter for recyclables. The most special detail is the carpeting in the kitchen. Yep I know what your'e thinking yuk! One of the first projects we'd like to do is replace the carpeting throughout the living room, kitchen, and possibly the bedrooms with wood plank flooring.

Before we replace the floors we're planning in opening a wall in the living room where the green couch is with an archway, to convert the front bedroom to a small dining room. It's just the two of us and we don't have children. We're also thinking about creating an opening on the same wall in the living room where the kitchen is on the other side to create a counter

with stools. As charming and warm as this home is the rooms are small and need to be opened up.

I'd like to convert the living room windows to doors that open onto a deck. There is an existing deck off to the side of the living room but I would like to build one in front of the house connecting the side deck so it wraps around to the front. The entrance to the house is under the deck. We're also planning on painting the house a different color. I'm not fond of the shade of brown/yellow combo. I could use some advise on what colors to paint the outside.

Last but not least we're planning on renovating the bathroom. We'd like to convert the fitted bathtub into a walk in shower with river rock floors and lava wall tiles and a glass door, and slate flooring.

I look forward to hearing your suggestion and can't wait to get started.

Comments (4)

• classysass
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

My oh my. That's a lot of stuff! It's difficult to take on a huge project like that all at once so I think it's best, if you want Houzzer's help, to narrow it down to your most pressing dilemma to begin. Without re-reading your entire post, what I remember is that you were wanting to change the kitchen cabinets. Frankly, I think they are all right. Different colors of wood go well in a mountain cabin. In fact, I think the more wood tones, the better. You don't need to change your cabinets right now. The refrigerator is all right too, for now. If you want to change your counters, you could go with butcher block, although they need a little more maintenance than laminate or granite. Granite seems to be the choice for residential kitchens these days, but I think it's too much for your small kitchen and an unnecessary expense, It's supposed to be rustic. My cousin has a log home and she and her husband just added a wrap around deck that is so attractive. See picture below. I think you should paint the exterior of your cabin a color found in nature, such as brown, or very dark green, or both. A medium tan would work well too. I would try to blend into the environment. The current colors are quite bright. When you've figured out which part of the home you'd like to tackle, submit a much streamlined dilemma and I think more people will jump in.

• havingfun
    8 years ago

i agree with sassy, there are so many things in there, that i think you should start with a decision regarding the kitchen and DR situation. Some measurements of everything and where openings are located would be a big help too.

so upfront, just for your background thought to mull over, my vote for trim or possibly the bottom floor, though i think trim it would be perfect for. i call it p.allen smith green. He is an international gardener -sorry, i am on oxygen, my brain burps from too much or too little and i forget my words. Anyway, he uses this on his estate and farm.

Paint Color SW 2809 Rookwood Shutter Green from Sherwin-Williams · More Info
    this is a green, so dark it often looks black, but it is a great trim. with white, cream, green-like sage, brown, etc. Think dark forest.

Next I am for the external doors to porch, anything to get more light.

Kitchen, do the two of you work in there? does it feel cramped, are you updating, just cause you think it needs doing? I have very old cabinets that have grooves something like yours. I am going to paint them creamy white, bright to dark blue in the main groove, yellow in the narrow ones. Probably chalk paint, it is supposed to be easy to work with? i think that when i do that to the wood walls-same wood as the cabinets and the wood cabinets, it ought to give my kitchen a whole new life!

Knocking out the wall to the bedroom. On the surface - great! have you thought of resale? is that a problem? If that is not a problem, how about maybe using it to have a half bath, a pantry, enlarge the kitchen, maybe move part of the living room over there, so your dining table can be in front of the counter? It does not make sense to me to walk from the kitchen through your living room to a dining room when there are only 2 of you? a lot of times we watch in front of the tv, or playing a game. I would surely want to spend time eating on the porch. I leave you to ponder these things, then maybe you can narrow down, what you think the first project should be? Have fun. talk soon. if you say something we will come back in.

• Daniele Hollywood
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you both for your suggestions! I realized after posting that I had included too much information. I got so inspired after reading about the Ward Clever cabin kitchen renovation, I finally saw a posting with some of the same issues I am having. You both helped me solve some important key points.

You both helped me decide to keep the existing kitchen cabinets. I like the idea of butcher block counters. I'm replacing the carpeting in the kitchen, and adding a farm sink.

I like Classy's cousins deck that's exactly what I'm thinking, and I like your suggestion to paint the exterior to blend in with nature. Thanks for suggesting Rookwood paint too. It's a good accent color.

As for the archway from the living room where I'd loose a bedroom. I don't think it will be an issue for resale. I'll still have 4 bedrooms left and it's just the two of us. It would also help with light flow, and crate more living area. I'll post a floor plan so you can see what I'm thinking.

Thanks again!

• havingfun
    8 years ago

anytime, just post here and we will come back.