Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gavin_kennedy

FLOORING HELP

Gavin Kennedy
11 years ago
Trying to replace an apartment full of pre-finished Brazilian cherry with something much lighter. Kitchen is integrated and includes deep brown cabinets. Leaning toward light to no stained walnut or oak with a matte finish but can't make a final decision.
Basement Renovation in Bethesda · More Info

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Stohlman & Kilner Remodeling Contractors
    11 years ago
    Good question...I'd probably go with a white oak, no stain and an acrylic finish so it won't yellow. Walnut is great too, but a little dark. Hope this helps.
  • Gavin Kennedy
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    It does help. And, I meant to say maple not walnut. yes, walnut is too dark. Maple seems to light/bright. just picked white oak today (in my mind). if you see this and have thoughts about maple, wld be much appreciated.
  • Gavin Kennedy
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    spooky- was just wondering to myself what quarter sawn meant when I saw your post? what does it mean and is it more expensive? thanks!
  • PRO
    Oak & Broad
    11 years ago
    :-) Quarter Sawn takes longer to produce and reveals a more beautiful cross section of the tree. It is is also about 50% more stable than typical flat sawn flooring. In the old days before HVAC that added dimensional stability was a nice bonus since most floor were wide plank. The top two pics are QS as is the bottom left. The one on the bottom right is flat sawn/plain sawn.
  • Gavin Kennedy
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    thank you, sir. tell me this, do unfinished solid hardwood floors need to cure in place for two weeks!? That's what I just read on Shamrock's website. That adds serious time pressure to my project. I thought they needed to cure for a couple of days on site. Eek.
  • PRO
    Oak & Broad
    11 years ago
    No. They can be walked on within a few days. Talk to your installer and ask them what their finishing products recommend.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Gavin, Also, Maple does not take stain well. It is a very hard wood. Typically, not always, it is best to leave it natural and apply a quality, acrylic clear finish.
  • Gavin Kennedy
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Ended up going with 4" premium white oak long boards with a (just new on the market) matte poly finish by vermont coatings. turned out great!
  • Gavin Kennedy
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    and thanks everyone for your input.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Gavin, Congratulations! Glad it worked out well for you. All the best.
  • Karen
    10 years ago
    Gavin, could you post a photo of your new floor? I'd love to see it.
  • PRO
    Oak & Broad
    9 years ago
    Here are some new shots and my new email. joel@oakandbroad.com