Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stebedoni

Any reason not to get this sink? Undermount a 30" sink in 30" cab?

Steve Doni
8 years ago

Have decided to get Quartz countertops and need to trim the fat elsewhere in the kitchen budget (sink, faucet, lighting, etc). Is there any reason not to get this sink?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Schon-All-in-One-Undermount-Stainless-Steel-30-in-0-Hole-Single-Bowl-Kitchen-Sink-SCSB301818/204025405

I noticed there are a couple dozen similar sinks on amazon and wayfair all with different brand names I've never heard of, but this one on homedepot seems to have a fair amount of reviews so I'm less leary. We want a 28" wide (or wider) sink that's 9" deep ideally as it will be under mounted. Our friend has a 10" under mounted sink and I find it too deep. We also don't want zero radius corners despite how good they look, I won't enjoy keeping them clean. This one seems pretty cheap? There are no R10 or R20 radius sinks that I can find in our budget that are 9" deep?

Also we have room for a 36" base cabinet but I'd rather use a 30" cabinet and use those 6" elsewhere. We can't do 33" because we're buying IKEA. Is there any reason we wouldn't be able to fit this sink in a 30" cabinet? The bowl is 28" wide at the top and the Ikea cabinet is 28.5" wide once you subtract the 3/4" walls on either side, so in theory the lip of the sink which is 30" end to end would rest on the top of the cabinet walls. Right? :)

Thanks!

Comments (20)

• User
    8 years ago

You would need to scoop the sides of the cabinet in order to attach the required mechanical fasteners. Not a fan. The sink lip has to be flush with the cabinet tops, not rest on them.

• somersetlass
    8 years ago

I'd recommend saving money elsewhere if you can and not on the sink. My reasoning, expensive Quartz that will stay for as long as you own the house probably and a sink that you have to look at every day. It's one of the biggest component parts of the kitchen. I'd be looking at making it a joy to use. You won't be able to ( well, not without a lot of damage to units and probably the Quartz, remove it. Ever. It will stay as long as the worktops do. Is that ok?

id rather save money on lighting/ soft furnishings etc. something not so permanent and go for it with the sink. I wouldn't want the sink letting the Quartz down.

• Steve Doni
    Original Author
    8 years ago

sophie, so they would just notch out where the two side clips go? how come you're not a fan? it would be nice to get that 6" and use it to widen other drawer cabinets rather than have it under the sink where it's largely useless for me

somersetlass, is there anything in particular about this sink that raises a red flag?

• User
    8 years ago

In frameless cabinets, the walls are the whole strength of the cabinets. Scooping should be avoided without additional counter support that will take up space.

• bbtrix
    8 years ago

Are you giving up the 36" sink base to have a separate trash cabinet? I echo what somersetlass said about getting the best quality sink now. It is a small expenditure in the full scope of the remodel and one of the hardest working parts of the kitchen. If you do a 36" base you can get the size you want. I recall Lisa suggested trash below the sink, and again I would urge you consider it. I did it with my 36" IKEA base as it wonderfully organizes under the sink and frees up another cabinet.

Have you had a zero radius previously? I've had no issues keeping mine clean.

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

I would bet that sink is fine, and it looks nice, BUT, sinks aren't easy to change out, so I agree with the others to go with one whose quality is known. Lots of people on this forum like Kraus sinks, and they're not much more expensive than the one you show. I have Kraus now, and like it, although I have to say I had a Franke Orca in my previous home that I LOVED (mostly the shape, both of them were quality stainless)

• practigal
    8 years ago

If you scoop out the cabinet sides and place the sink in and then put the countertop on top you have a problem if you decide to change the sink later. Normally when replacing a sink, the sink supports are removed and the sink is dropped down through the cabinet but if you have scooped out the sides there is no space to drop it down through the cabinet so then you would either have to trash the cabinet sides to get the sink out or take out the countertop. So whatever you do, think of this as a very permanent change. That will be the most cost-effective thing to do.

• Steve Doni
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks I guess we will go with the 36" cabinet

• nicole___
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I have a 30" Franke in my home and I'm putting in a 16ga 30" Kraus in my rental. Both are very nice! I'd never get 18ga......Kraus on ebay can be cheaper too.

• schmip
    8 years ago

This is very useful info. I too wanted a 30" sink in a 30" ikea cabinet - not so much because of $$ but because I don't think I can afford the extra 6 inches on the sink cabinet. Every inch in my kitchen feels precious. But, I want the biggest sink I can get within a 30" cabinet. Any suggestions on what that might be if not a 30" Kraus?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 years ago

Steve:

To answer your question, no, there is no reason this sink will not fit in a 30" cabinet. Before the tops are installed, rabbet the thickness of the sink flange from the cabinet side tops so the sink flange is flush with the cabinet tops. Install a Hercules Universal Sink Harness or Sink Strap to the cabinet sides. Set the sink in the rabbets and run a bead of silicone around the flange just before the top is set. After the top is installed, tighten the HUSH or Sink Strap and clean up the silicone squeeze-out.

• Steve Doni
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Joseph with this method is it still problematic to remove the sink if there's a problem and it needs replacing?

• User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

The advise about not skimping on the sink is really good advise and will save you money in the long run and I can promise from experience that the pretty shine and sparkle that sink has now won't last.

When we moved into our current home 10 years ago we installed a double stainless sink from Home Depot. It was very shallow and within 2 years it looked horrible. We're only 2 adults and in spite of all my efforts to keep it well maintained, it still looked worn beyond it's years. I hated it so much that we ripped it out and replaced it with a Blanco Silgranit sink. It was the first piece of advise I got after discovering this forum and I took it. I love love love our sink and 8 years later it still looks new. The cost was more but in the long run it was worth it.

• somersetlass
    8 years ago

Steve, I'm in the UK so am unfamiliar with Home Depot items. However, sinks in that price range over here I'd imagine would be similar, same gauge of s/steel etc and friends who have them hate stainless. Our sink in our old kitchen when we bought this house was a DIY store special I think ( everything the owners did was cheap and to enable a sale). It was the bane of my life. Hated it with a passion and vowed never to have stainless. Well, then I found this forum! I now have a kohler stages 45 sink and its 16g and obviously was £££ but I love it. Cleans up a dream and is very quiet too. It is a massive part of our kitchen functionality. So that was the only reason I said to get the best sink you can afford nothing specific about that sink ( though H.D do it in 16g and it is over $300 the one you linked is 18g which is still good but not the top)

you are right that it is possible to remove a sink that is under-mounted and replace it especially if it has been installed with a cradle system like HUSH, undo the cradle, loosen the silicon round the sink and it will come free. however, if the sink is as big as the cabinet or almost and the cabinets have been messed with to enable it to fit it will not be possible to get that sink out of there without breaking into that cabinet that's really why I said originally, try and go for the best sink now rather than come unstuck.

• ILoveRed
    8 years ago

My 36" Rohl farm sink is in a 36" sink base and has been for 11 yrs.

my KD planned it that way. Not sure why??

after I read here about how difficult it would be to replace the sink, I regretted letting her do it. If I had known better, I would not have.

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

Think of it this way, you probably use your sink more than any other appliance. (Well, except the continuously operating fridge, I guess.) You don't use your DW, cooktop, oven, toaster, mixer, blender, food processor, etc., every time you do something in your kitchen. But I bet you use your sink almost every time you go in your kitchen unless you're just pouring a drink or grabbing a banana. As nice as they are, you don't need a super-expensive sink like the Stages, but it is worth paying a bit more to ensure you get something quality.

If doing stainless, you want 16- or 18-gauge. And you want one with insulation so it's quieter. Some have much nicer drain baskets than others for catching food scraps as well (if you're not putting in a GD)

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    8 years ago

ILoveRed, if after 11 years you have not had any issues with the sink that makes you think it needs replaced, don't waste any energy on regretting how it is installed! It has worked just fine for 11 years, no reason to think it won't be okay for another 20.

My former sink was clearly not a top end sink and was at least 30 years in place by the time I replaced it, yet had no issues other than it could have used a thorough polishing.

Issues requiring replacement of SS are, I believe, very very rare, as long as no one is dropping bricks into them.

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

I'd never get 18ga

The Franke Orca 18 gauge. It was a great sink.

• ILoveRed
    8 years ago

Rae..the house is going on the market soon. I would feel bad if a future owner had problems and needed to replace the sink. Just nice to forewarn others not to do it :-)