Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lida714

Need help with empty space...

lida714
8 years ago

I am planning on purchasing a console table for that wall but I can not decide on what color? Gold, white, gray?? I have found a couple but have no idea which to go with. PLEASE HELP.

Comments (18)

• Darzy
    8 years ago

Please show us the entire space to give the best ideas. Style of tables? Furniture? Area rugs?

• visualizemaven
    8 years ago

Please show us the rest of the room , especially the chandelier . Are you able to show images of the two console tables you are considering?

• classysass
    8 years ago
    A potted plant! Always a good empty-space filler.
  • lida714
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here is the rest of the space and two tables I have found so far. And thank you so much for replying to my post! (please excuse the mess)

• Darzy
    8 years ago

I like your idea of a white console table for that wall, but I think it should be more traditional to work with the dining table chairs. I also think you need an accent color or two. The one minty green color and cream looks a little flat. BRB...

Console Table in White · More Info

• PRO
    Poovi Art
    8 years ago

add a console table and over that add a large original wall art to enhance the look, more color and life to wall...for more artwork check my shop too...

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PooArtGallery?ref=profile_shopname

• lida714
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I have a white rectangular mirror I can put above the console. Do you think in this case a gold console would be better? I am also planning on doing a white subway tile backsplash in the kitchen.

I need to replace the pendant lights and the hanging ceiling light as well. Also thinking I need a larger rug under the coffee table?

• Darzy
    8 years ago

Love your art Poonam!

• Darzy
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

lida714....I really like your gold console choice. Very nice! What really doesn't work in the space is the wood coffee table. Get the gold console, but get a new coffee table too. Your white mirror will work above it as you have white elsewhere and the white cabinet too.

I like your idea of simple subway tile. Oh...yes, I think the area rug is too small.

Henzler Mirrored Glass Coffee Table · More Info

• Darzy
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

lida...how about adding a pale turquoise with the mint green? (with your gold furniture). If the pale turquoise isn't for you, how about a pale coral/pink color? A few design tweaks and your space will be lovely. I'd reupholster the bar stools in a fabric that complements the sofa and accent colors. Plus, a bit larger area rug. The prints above the sofa need to be lowered a bit as well.

Flawlessly Floral, Coral, 22"x22", Polyester Filler · More Info

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

I think your console can be ANY color or material but I think it should be the SAME color or material as something else in the room to relate to that it is not right next to. like a mirror.

Eoin Lyons Interiors, Ranelagh, Dublin. · More Info

1. Black console, black lamp shade, black in ottoman print and trim, black on back of occassional chairs.

2.Grey console, grey leather chair and sofa

East Brunswick Transformation · More Info

3.Blue and grey console, frame on picure, blue and grey chairs, and blue and grey in the curtains. Blue and grey in more things so it actually shows up. The combo reads very pale so needs more for oomph.

Greenwich · More Info

• visualizemaven
    8 years ago

I would like to suggest another option to make the room pop and come together - Are you open to painting the walls a deeper tone?

Next:: Both of your area rugs are too small. In dining areas, the chairs need to remain on the rug when pulled out. You know the area rug is too small in the sofa area. If you make both area rugs as big as they need/should be, they will hit each other and that is not an option. Therefore, please put the rug currently under your dining table under your sofa a cocktail table. See if you like having no rug under your dining room set.

I think the gold and glass tables you have selected would be great in the space: introducing metal and glass will add interest and variety.

I hope these suggestions appeal to you - let me know what you think

• Abby Newton
    8 years ago
    add a bar, coffee/ dessert station or similar set up. will make that corner be incorporated with the dining area, if there is space.
  • lida714
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you so much for all the advice, it has really helped.

- I was thinking of painting that wall Benjamin Moores Revere Pewter but should I also paint the wall with curtains as well?
    - I think I'm going to go with the glass table
    - I don't know if putting the rug from my dining table under the coffee table will look good. The color of the rug is very close to the couch, that's why I have the white one there now. Maybe I can order a bigger white one?
  • lida714
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    What if I do something like this...
  • visualizemaven
    8 years ago

excellent! just tie it in with the gold and glass console and coffee table you had selected!

• Margaret Bannerman
    4 years ago

Regarding rug size....11 Area Rug Rules and How to Break Them

How big should an area rug be? These guidelines will help you find the right size and placement

Janell BealsJanuary 16, 2019Houzz Contributor. Former online magazine founding editor who's now finding the time to enjoy all the things we wrote about!MoreEmailSaveComment172Like395PrintEmbedI often get asked, “What are the rules in selecting the size of rug to use in a room?” Deciding what size rug is best for a space can be hard since there are many “rules” and just as many opposing opinions.

One popular rule is that the rug should be large enough to slide under the front legs of sofas and chairs in a seating arrangement, unifying the furniture. But just as frequently I’ve heard it suggested that all legs of the furniture should sit on the rug. So, rather than be bound by rules, be aware of the following guidelines and let them assist you in determining what size rug provides the visual effect you desire in the rooms of your house.

Visual Jill Interior DecoratingRule 1: Front Legs on the Rug, Back Legs Off

Here is a gorgeous room by Visual Jill where the front legs sit on the rug, while the others are off. This approach really does work in most situations; the rug connects the various furniture pieces together while extending far enough into the room to create a sense of good proportion.

Find area rugs in the Houzz Shop

North Fork Design Co.This room by North Fork Design also follows this rule. It works well here in large part because the tone of the rug is very similar to the flooring, making the break between the two visually subtle.
    Lauren Nelson DesignRule 2: Some Front Legs On

Before moving onto examples where all the legs are placed on the rug, let’s look at a hybrid of the two approaches. In this living room by Lauren Nelson Design, only the front legs of the sofa sit on the rug, while the placement of the chairs leaves their bases entirely on the rug. This proves to be more effective here than if only the front portion of the chairs fit onto the rug, because of the size of the room and the contrasting tone of the rug against the flooring.

Work with an interior designer on Houzz

Lucy Interior DesignRule 3: All Legs on the Rug

One tip is to determine the furniture placement before selecting what size rug to use, which leads to the next rule: A room generally looks more pulled together if all the furniture legs are planted firmly on the rug. We see that rule employed in this arrangement by Lucy Interior Design.

Novak + Huizenga StudioRule 4: No Legs on the Rug

Now if you would like to bring in just a small rug, perhaps one that introduces a pop of pattern into the room, another approach would be to have none of the furniture touching the rug. While this creates a completely different look, it also works, as seen in this family room by Novak + Huizenga Studio.

Katie Postel InteriorsRule 5: 18 Inches of Bare Floor Around the Rug

The next rule has been a standard for ages, and this approach states that there should be about 18 inches of bare floor between the rug edge and the perimeter walls of the room, bringing in traditional proportion. This guideline is great in rooms that are enclosed and separate from surrounding rooms, such as this room by Katie Postel Interiors, as opposed to open-concept spaces.

Using this rule in a small room is more successful if the 18 inches of bare floor exposed around the rug is reduced to about 8 inches.

Michelle Dirkse Interior DesignRule 6: Just a Few Inches of Floor Around the Rug

This dining room by Michelle Dirkse is a successful application of the rule to run the rug up to within inches of the wall around the entire room. While a traditional approach, it feels modern here due to the decor decisions.

Lauren Nelson DesignRule 7: Extend the Rug 12 to 18 Inches Around a Bed

For an area rug to look balanced under a bed, it should be large enough to extend beyond the sides of the bed at least 18 inches for a king or queen bed and at least 12 inches for a full or twin bed. Depending upon the size of the room, there can be more rug extension around the bed, as seen in this room by Lauren Nelson Design, but not less, which would make the rug look insignificant being covered mostly by the bed.

Richard Hughes ArchitectHowever, a smaller rug can also be very effective placed at the foot of a bed, bringing in just a little layer of interest and pattern. Here the rug width should extend beyond the width of the bed to feel balanced.

Shop for hall runners

D2 InteriorsRule 8: Extend the Rug 24 Inches Around a Table

It is much easier to maneuver dining chairs if there is at least 24 inches of rug extending from the edge of the table on all sides, as shown in this design by D2 Interiors. This rule allows the back legs of the chairs to be on the rug, even when being used. This can be a hard design goal to achieve due to the typical proportion of tables to area rugs.

Lisa Burdus Interior DesignRule 9: Cover the Walking Area

The rug should cover the majority of the walking area in a hallway or entry, as shown in this entry by Lisa Burdus. For both safety and comfort, it is preferable to have both feet fall within the surface of the rug in a high-traffic area.

Chris Bradley PhotographyRule 10: Combine Rugs

In making rug decisions for a room, another approach would be to bring in multiple area rugs. This can be very effective when the room is large with more than one seating arrangement.

Lynn Unflat Interiors, LLCRule 11: Bend the Rules

While all these rules have merit, this room by Lynn Unflat Interiors breaks the rule of all legs on or off, and it looks great.

Orna Gurevich interior designTo sum up this topic, there are multiple rules to guide the decision of what size rug is best for the rooms of a home, and many of them completely contradict one another. But being aware of the various rules can provide guidelines to help determine which approach is most appealing to you and will be effective in achieving the look you desire in your individual spaces.

More on Houzz
    Read other decorating guides
    Find an interior designer near you
    Shop for area rugsEmailSaveComment172Like395PrintEmbed