Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
halloblondie

Garden/hedge suggestions

Looking for suggestions on a hedge or garden. I live on a dead end, next to a school & constantly have kids hopping my fence. There is no walkway through. The fence is along the whole length of my property as well as the neighbours across the street. Last spring/summer I planted a garden that stretches the length of the fence line. Problem is, is that until the shrubs/ plants grow the kids keep jumping on them, breaking & damaging them. We are planning to plant some nice thorny rose climbers along the fence line this spring. So I need suggestions for climbing roses in zone 5b. I want it pretty but painful for hands. I know it sounds awful but I've had so many issues with people on my property. I've even caught adults
hopping my fence & climbing on my rock.

I think some people assume that part of my frontage is city property or something. So in order to curb that idea, we plan on making a garden bed or hedge along the curved part of my yard from fence to driveway. I don't want to be known as the cranky lady at the last house on the street. So I try and stay silent & thought this is a polite way to have boundaries. We are thinking of roses. I thought it would look gorgeous from the street but also a deterrent to show property lines. I do like gardening & will spend time doing things, but I need hardy because of my zone. It is a full sun spot, with good soil (no clay). Am open for other suggestions too. Could be a mixed border as well. Colour of foliage & flowers I prefer are green, white, yellows & oranges. Not a fan of pink or lavenders. Barberries also came to mind because of the thorny nature. Thanks for any ideas.

Comments (23)

• HalloBlondie-zone5a
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks for the rose suggestions. They are both nice. I could probably do both kinds.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 years ago

Do not know where you live but I have used Barberry to discourage large animals from getting in my garden.

• Stacey
    8 years ago
    I would plant a tall green hedge that would grow above fence. Then plant carpet roses underneath.
  • just_jls
    8 years ago
    have you talked to the school? It may not help but I'm a high school teacher and have worked at schools that have similar problems that have been addressed by the principals. There's a big push here to blend schools and neighbors into one big community so students and administrators are more sensitive to issues like this. Roses are beautiful too though ;)
  • HalloBlondie-zone5a
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The school next door is great, the principal is awesome. I have no problems during the day. It is after hours. On the other side of the school is a park & then the other half of the subdivision. People cut through a pond & trail path from one part which exits at our street. Instead of going to the street that runs behind me, they cut through the dead end. The funny thing is the through way street is only 100 feet over. I planted some stuff along the fence line last year. But it was small starter shrubs (1 & 2 gallon pots). When the kids climb from the other side. They jump over and land on whatever is there. Once I have stuff established it won't be much of an issue. The Rock on my front yard is also very popular. I don't even mind kids on that. I just don't want to have to worry about kids stomping on garden beds if I plant annuals or tender items. I work very hard to make things nice & I don't want to have to worry about it being destroyed. I also hate the fact that I can't plant what I want on my own property because of disrespectful kids & teens. When I was growing up I would have never have even stepped on someone's grass if it weren't a friend's home. (Now I sound like one of those moms I swore I would never be!)

• mramsey
    8 years ago

This may not be what you want to hear, but why not just bend to the inevitable and create a public walk way? It doesn't look like there is any real use for that weird piece of property to the left of the big rock anyways. Maybe if you moved the fence to the other side of the rock and ran it to where the escaping baby is in the photo, people would just walk on by. Plant the roses etc on your side of the newly defined lawn and enjoy the smell and the peace. BTW rugosa roses mixed with barberries are a thorny barricade once they are big enough. To deter animals/kids until that time, you could have a motion detector sprinkler installed to zap whoever trespasses....

• L J
    8 years ago
    Mramsey, my thoughts exactly. I know it is private property but who ever developed the subdivision wasn't really thinking. A small tasteful pedestrian walkway would eliminate the need to hop the fence which could result in a liability issue in the event of an injury. Then some polite signage and you should be back to enjoying your gardening.
  • HalloBlondie-zone5a
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for the responses thus far. As for the walkway through, I would be ok with that. Hell, I would use that to get to the park. However, my whole street fought the city on that. Because it would then become a drop off zone for kids that are driven too school. It's difficult because everyone on my street paid premiums on their lots to be on a cul de sac. The school was built after the houses. I do love the fact that no cars drive down the street. And with property values around here you would not even give up an inch of it. Maybe when I come up with an extra million I can buy a 1 acre lot, haha! For now I think I will go with a lovely thorny garden around the perimeter of the front.

• L J
    8 years ago
    Sounds like this is a pretty unfriendly neighborhood. Maybe what you need is a big gate at the entrance to the cul de sac with guards and barking dogs to keep those little brats and the cars out of your kingdom. No seriously you already have a liability issue if YOUR FENCE Injures someone climbing over. And while your in court trying to fight it none of your neighbors who were concerned about the traffic will care. And you are wanting to add more hazards?
  • partim
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

White Dawn and Golden Showers would be beautiful together along your fence.

New Dawn is a well-known, fast-growing, disease free and very vigorous climber, but you may not like the pale pink color.

You'll need to add supports for the roses to climb up - climbing roses don't cling to a wall. Some of the vigorous climbers can develop stems the width of your arm. In addition to size and color, you'll want to choose disease resistant varieties and those that are resistant to the most common rose diseases. Also choose a rose that re-blooms, instead of only blooming once in June.

Your local horticultural society likely has a rose fanciers club, who
    would probably love to advise you on the most appropriate plants for
    your site. You will have plenty of selection for roses in Zone 5b.

As you can tell, I love roses. My favorite is "The Fairy" One of the first to bloom in spring, and masses of tiny pink blooms right through to October. (We had a mild fall and we even had a few blooms in mid-November!) No disease ever, glossy green leaves. fast growing and spreads wide. Sadly, not fragrant. It would be beautiful in your curved area. A few bushes would soon fill it in.

SEASONAL INTEREST · More Info

• emmarene9
    8 years ago

Here is a link to the Rose Forum. Click

• apple_pie_order
    8 years ago

That's a really big rock. Have you considered getting the rock removed? If that's the main attraction for kids and adults going over the fence, removing it will solve the problem. But if they are using the rock as part of a short cut, then the short cut traffic will go somewhere else. Big thorny climbing roses may be the answer, as you are thinking. You might try the "help me find it" rose website: https://www.helpmefind.com

• HalloBlondie-zone5a
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@emmarene- Thank you for the Rose forum link.

@partim- thank you for the Rose suggestions. I have been doing Rose research for my zone, I have a list of ones I like the look of, but it's always better for people with actual experience to give me suggestions.

I'm newer to gardening than some. My mom gardens so I grew up with that, but she never had roses. And I'm an amateur on roses. I just love the look of them. Don't care about the fragrance. Looking for repeat bloomers, colorful & disease resistance. I'm really drawn to the coral/rainbow varieties. I had a Joseph's coat at my old house. Very tender in this zone though.

We also have a fantastic garden centre close by. They are very knowledgeable & helpful. I'm just doing early research, it helps to pass the cold snowy days.

• HalloBlondie-zone5a
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @apple - the rock is 10 feet from the fence, so you can't use it to get over the fence. I love the rock & again want to incorporate the garden within it eventually. Our long term plan is to have a garden from the edge of our property to halfway up the grass, with a sitting area there. We want to half the amount of grass in our yard.

Ultimately as a last resort we can install a short fence around our property. But I want to do plantings instead. We want it to look great, with curb appeal & in a way to create boundaries. But we also don't want it to look like a fortress or unfriendly.
  • partim
    8 years ago

A short fence can look very welcoming. This fence has Russian Sage and Ladies Mantle planted in front of it, roses behind but poking through. Definitely not unfriendly! If you choose to do a fence, and have roses along the side fence, you could also do other flowering shrubs along your short fence. Hydrangeas are lovely and easy care.

Garden Spaces · More Info
    Pick your color.

• HalloBlondie-zone5a
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@partim - The first photo is saved in my idea book, that was my inspiration if we do a fence. Except I would do another colour of rose than pink. Peach or yellow would look great with the sage.

• S Bailey
    8 years ago

Fast growing and definitely keeping "visitors at bay" -- pyracantha. http://www.fast-growing-trees.com/Mohave-Pyracantha-Firethorn.htm

• HalloBlondie-zone5a
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@sjb2814 - thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately that plant does not fit my zone. It is quite pretty though.

• Nessdizzle Formally 6a, now 9b Central Florida
    7 years ago
    1. Idk if you've done this yet. But if not the New Dawn climber I hear is a damn MONSTER!! I hear the thorns are like nothing you've ever seen and it grows really big, really quickly. And that for the most part it's disease free. I love the blooms myself as I bought one even after I was warned not to and it's just a baby now but it's first bloom is gorgeous
  • Kelly Tregaskis Collova
    7 years ago

Updates??

• HalloBlondie-zone5a
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I forgot about this post, Kelly thanks for reminding me. Well since last summer I have expanded and planted a lot more garden in the front. I ended up doing mixed garden beds. Could not decide on just one or two plants. Now I just have to be patient & wait for things to grow. On the plus side no one tries to hop my fence & people respect our property now that it is evident that it belongs to us.