Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
milesdevin

Can someone help me ID this NOID I rescued?

milesdevin
8 years ago

I've been keeping this plant in isolation since it was near death when I purchased it. Now, two months later, it has made a full recovery and has some really beautiful, large blooms. Any ideas?

Comments (15)

• milesdevin
    Original Author
    8 years ago

And in another light :

• irina_co
    8 years ago

MIles -

that's rich! Out of 20.000? Where did you get it? Did it have "Product of Canada" on it? I checked Optimara - nah, nothing looks right.

Seems like a nice healthy pretty blooming plant. I have a suggestion - call it 'Miles Folly".

My pet peeve - to keep only named and blooming true plants. Anything else decorates Senior Living windowsills.

Irina, the snob.

milesdevin thanked irina_co
  • milesdevin
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Surprisingly enough, this was at a local "high end" nursery. It had been misplaced under a display shelf, and was dried to nearly a crisp! Irina, I am usually the same as you. Having NOID's sometimes irritates me. This one is a little special, though. The blooms are nearly two inches, and I truly love the color! I'm promising myself no more rescues, as I have three more from the same nursery that I need ID'ed as well! Thank you both for your input! As for the other three NOID, here are their photos:

• milesdevin
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Please excuse the amaryllis pollen on the leaves! They are in isolation in a shared window with hippestreaums that tend to drop pollen like its no ones business!

• aegis1000
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Looks alot like Optimara Rhapsodie Cora

milesdevin thanked aegis1000
  • tabb
    8 years ago

I agree aegis1000. Even the leaves are alike. It's a good guess Miles.

milesdevin thanked tabb
  • milesdevin
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you aegis! I'm pretty certain that's close, if not it! Mine seems to have a bit more white, and you can never see pollen. It could be my growing conditions aren't as optimal as that show plant, though!

• emmsmommy
    8 years ago

It's simply beautiful! My first violets were rescues from Lowes and no idea of their names either.

milesdevin thanked emmsmommy
  • irina_co
    8 years ago

Rhapsodie Cora has pansy flowers, Miles' Folly - stars - so close, but not it. My idea was Optimara Monet - again - wrong flowers, Monet - has single ones - Folly - s/double to almost double. From the next batch of NOIDs - #2 and #3 are probably Optimaras. You see them in the Big Box Stores quite often. Good strong plants, no pizazz, but great work horses.

This fall we had our Show in a local nursery. They had good strong AVs on sale - all named, but none of them was named right. One of our members had First class on his Smartphone - so we checked them all.

I was not that snobbish all the time. In the beginning of my hobby - lets say 17 years ago - I was dragging in everything i could find, smuggling them in so my hubby wouldn't catch me with another box. But at some point - all horizontal surfaces are taken - if I want to have a collection - there should be some idea on what I am collecting. Minis? trailers? Standards? Pinks? Mishmash? And at that point I decided that I do not collect NOIDs. Didn't help with overpopulation though..

• fortyseven_gw
    8 years ago

Number 1 could be Lucia, it has the gradient that looks like it was airbrushed. The fuschia/pink/orange one with the white edge looks very different from any o's I've seen. Unless it is due to your camera. The solid purple is probably an Optimara as they always offer several solid dark purples each season. Cora has many different looks and is often not consistent from bloom cycle to cycle. Joanne

milesdevin thanked fortyseven_gw
  • milesdevin
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you all so much! So far, I've had more people in person say that it looks like "Blue Mist." From searching online, some photos of Blue Mist look identical, while some lean more towards blue.... It also looks similar to "Silverglade Plums" and "Silverglade Slippers" to me. I'm not sure I'll ever know. It is definitely one of the more beautiful I have, that's for sure. The flowers are enormous.

While I most definitely agree with you Irina about the noids, I am a sucker for a beautiful plant in need. I need to break myself of this habit. I'm shifting away from obtaining new violets for now, as Streps have piqued my interest a big more lately... Although I definitely have some AVs that no Strep could replace. ( I am in love with Amour Elite, Duchess, Golden Autumn, etc.) Who knows? I'm sure tomorrow I'll catch a bug for something new. Speaking of... I'm currently growing around 50 Calceolaria's if anyone would like one around March, let me know! Thank you all for the help!

• aegis1000
    8 years ago

Just for information's sake, I've grown Cora, Blue Mist, and Silverglade Plums.

As has been said, Cora's color is quite variable, and seems to depend upon the ambient temperature. The leaves of the OP's plant look like Cora, however. I found Cora to have fascinating blooming, but the plant's growth was kind of odd. It would tend to grow into a ball, if I remember correctly.

Blue Mist seems to be more double blossomed to me, and the leaves are different (lighter in color, more ruffled and longer stemmed) than in the OP's photos ...

Silverglade Plums grew to about the size of a semi-miniature for me, with correspondingly smaller sized blooms.

milesdevin thanked aegis1000
  • irina_co
    8 years ago

Aegis - no matter what is the discussion - you always share the eye candy with us. Good way to start a day!!!

Rhapsodie Cora has exceptional flowers - but as many thumbprints and bicolors - the color depends on the temperature. Winter and summer bloom can be quite different. It blooms in flashes. And the time between them can be substantial - I think it gives you about 4 blooms a year at best - so it is not the one that is in bloom 10 months out of the year. The rosette sucks. Nothing like your average Optimara. You rarely see it on the Shows for that reason. But when it blooms - it is so lovely - we forget all the faults.

Senior living for AVs - is not the permanent home. Elderly people are not going to go out of the way to care for them properly and eventually the plants will perish. I think about them as bouquets of cut flowers - that bring a week of joy to recipients. It is better than decorate the compost pile with rejects.

Joanne - you are an Optimara ambassador in a grocery store. They need to employ you and pay in kittens - oops - new Optimaras ;-)).

There is one Optimara I am not gowing to grow - Neverfloris.

Generally Russian AVs have large festive flowers, so-so rosette and some of them are unstable. The varieties with abbreviation LE- (hyb. Elena Lebetskaya - actually she is from Ukraine) are not very stable, she doesn't do 3 generations stability check on them. A lot of her varieties have breathtaking flowers. But put a leaf down...they sport all over the place. I got several of them to try...we will see. The rosettes came up decent, see if I get them to bloom true.

• fortyseven_gw
    8 years ago

Interesting about LE! This thread inspired me to "go shopping." Joanne

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES