Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akhilova

Slow Cooker. How to choose?

Sasha Khil
8 years ago

I'm on the hunt for a slow cooker. I've never owned or used one before, but love the thought of coming home to a warm meal that's ready to eat. I don't have a lot of counter or storage space in my apartment and am mostly cooking for two. Any suggestions?

Comments (21)

• speaktodeek
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

There are basically four routes you can go.

The traditional "crock pot" is an appliance with a stoneware crock that is sometimes removable that sits down inside the appliance.

The traditional "slow cooker" is an appliance with a thin walled pot that sits upon a formed base. (I just googled and what I call a crock pot many are now marketing as slow cooker, but what I mean is one like the west bend 84905)

A third option is a fry daddy type appliance, with integrated kettle and heat element. (I call it a fry daddy which is a trademark name, but the unit I actually use is a presto multi-cooker)

The newest option is a countertop induction burner with an induction pot, such as an enameled cast iron, atop it! I think this is more expensive up front but much more versatile - this will be the next step evolution for me (soon, hopefully) but I'm not there yet. In addition to slow cooking, an induction burner can serve as a stir fry burner!

====

Crock pots are heavy and distribute heat more evenly, but they pretty much have two settings: boil, and boil hotter. I don't like them because they run too hot for me and are heavy to manage to clean with the thick crockery bowls to clean.

Slow cookers have sorta cheap pots that don't work very well if you want to transfer them to a range (say, if you want to brown a roast and onions first, then set it to slow cook), but work great if you only use them on their slow cooker base (their pots tend to be thinner walled aluminum coated in non-stick coating - both of which there are lots of discussions whether these materials are suitable for food). Some models have a "keep warm" or other setting where you can use a lower temperature to do sous-vide type cooking, if you don't like boiled food. They can make some awesome meals! I have two and use them both as slow cookers and as sous-vide chambers (google is your friend here).

Fry daddys are super useful too, although they have the same drawbacks of aluminum construction and non-stick coating if you have qualms about using either with food prep. They have an added advantage of a very hot bottom so you can first brown meat and fry onions then set your pot to cook lower, etc. They have the disadvantage with thicker foods in that their heat element is built in and the heat is concentrated at the element, so thicker foods tend to get a burnt ring over the element, whereas in a crockpot or slow cooker the heat source is diffuse and this doesn't happen. Fry daddy's -properly calibrated- make great sous-vide chambers.

They all cost about the same, really.

Sasha Khil thanked speaktodeek
  • Springroz
    8 years ago

I have had several, ranging from the $15.99 Crock pot to the $399.00 All-Clad Multicooker, with the removable heavy aluminum liner that goes from stove to device.

The All-Clad in a piece of crud......their non-stick does not hold up, and their electronics GIVE OUT after relatively few uses. This is the SECOND All-Clad electric appliance that just gave out.

For the replacement, I went with the mechanical switch over the electronic model. I have had it about 8 months, and actually used it MORE than I ever used the All-Clad, so I feel I have gotten my money's worth already!

Sasha Khil thanked Springroz
  • Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

Crockpot is a brand name of slow cooker. (This kitchn article explains.) There are large and small ones and round and oval. Stuff tends to burn in the big ones if you don't fill them enough so you may want a smaller one unless you want leftovers or plan to use it for company. The oval shape tends to fit things better, IME.

Most slow cookers have a removable glazed ceramic crock. You can google lead in slow cookers and see if you are concerned about that Some of them have metal removable crocks that you can use on the stovetop. This allows you to brown meat inside the crock, rather than in a separate pan. Some recipes call for this step. The metal liners tend to be coated in nonstick finish, like Teflon. Again, you can google if you want more information on Teflon and see if that concerns you.

As far as picking a particular one, I suggest reading the reviews on Amazon and choosing that way. The reviews in this category are numerous and tend to be informative.

Sasha Khil thanked Nothing Left to Say
  • User
    8 years ago

I only use my crockpot for cooking dried pinto beans, which makes fantastic refried beans, baked beans, and for turning leftover roasted chicken into soup, which gets all the flavor out of it for a good stock. I want to brown stew meat, pot roast, and meatballs for flavor and be able to drain off the fat before simmering, so that Cuisinart 4-in-1 looks interesting.

Sasha Khil thanked User
  • mrspete
    8 years ago

I actually own four crock pots in varying sizes. The small one is great for breakfast oatmeal or a side dish of dried beans. The largest can hold a whole chicken or small turkey or baked potatoes for the whole family. And the in-betweens are perfect for a typical chili or soup meal.

The one MUST HAVE feature is a removable insert; the first one I ever had (a hand-me-down from my parents when I was in college) was a one-piece thing, and it was a pain to wash. A removable insert can to into the dishwasher. Beyond that, the differences are minimal - of course, I must admit that I have no experience with the browning features; they might be worthwhile.

I'll also recommend two websites: http://www.ayearofslowcooking.com/ and http://www.365daysofcrockpot.com/ You'll be surprised at just how many things you can cook in a crock pot.

Sasha Khil thanked mrspete
  • User
    8 years ago

I don't have one, but I have a subscription to the Cook's Illustrated website, and in an Oct-2014 equipment test, they recommended the Kitchenaid 6 qt. KSC6223SS with glass lid. I am not sure you can access the review without a subscription, so here is their summary of this model:

Tasters unanimously preferred this model because it cooks food more gently and didn’t have any hot spots...This model made juicy and tender chicken, turkey, pork, and chili, and caramelized onions were evenly cooked. Testers liked its bright, intuitive control panel, with tactile buttons and beeps that alert you to changes. Cool-to-the-touch handles were a bonus.

The only problem with Cook's Illustrated equipment reviews is that they don't test for longevity, they only test how well the equipment works at the time of testing. They used to give the All-Clad slow cooker their top rating, but as Springroz pointed out in her post above, the longevity was not there, but their initial test results did not report that because they don't test for that. That's not to say the Kitchenaid will have longevity issues; only that this test doesn't report that aspect.

Sasha Khil thanked User
  • Fori
    8 years ago

If you're really serious, you want a vintage Crockpot--the new ones ARE too hot. They don't do the low low heat thing anymore due to food safety issues. (You know, someone could put in meat on low and it won't reach a safe temperature for hours at which point....the horror.)

Sasha Khil thanked Fori
  • Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

Yes, new slow cookers run hotter due to food safety concerns. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing, might depend on whether your Dh nearly died of food poisoning (not from my kitchen).

Sasha Khil thanked Nothing Left to Say
  • scrappy25
    8 years ago

I still use our medium Crockpot that was given to us as a wedding present (it's making chicken soup right now) regularly even though I keep thinking that I need to get one with a removable crock for cleaning purposes. They only run $15 up for the smaller ones so the investment is small if you want to try it out. The multicookers are much more expensive and generally larger, not sure you need one for two people. Make sure you see one (not just mail order) before you buy it so that you can assess the size.

Sasha Khil thanked scrappy25
  • sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

Morz, I can't believe this -- I was scrolling through this thread thinking I should consider a slow cooker, but I already have the Fagor multi-cooker that you that you have. I just didn't realize it was a slow cooker! I got it at the time because I wanted the pressure cooker, and haven't used it much for that purpose.

Sasha Khil thanked sjhockeyfan325
  • Jancy
    8 years ago

I have the instantpot 7-1 and love it. It's a pressure cooker, slow cooker, settings for yogurt making, rice, soup, meat etc. I love it. Great size for 2 -4 people at 6 quarts. I use to use a crock pot once in a while but very rarely cooked. I use the pressure cooker now a couple of times a week (it makes enough for 2 people for two nights dinner). I like it so much better now than the slow cooker. Food cooks so fast and tastes great plus these all in one systems take up a lot less space.

Sasha Khil thanked Jancy
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    8 years ago

sjhockey, that's too funny - not using your owners manual much? Try the slow cook function, it works great. The setting I don't use often is rice....I will cook basmati rice on the stove top, or buy microwave brown rice, frozen at Trader Joe's that's ready to serve in 3 minutes.

Sasha Khil thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • funkycamper
    8 years ago

I have an 8-quart 30+ year old Crockpot brand slow-cooker that works great but looks like crapola so I'm embarrassed to take it to potlucks and such. So for about $15, I got a new 6-quart one at a local discount store. It looks nicer to take to potlucks and also has a locking lid making it safer to transport without spilling. I use them several times a week for all sorts of things. Especially beans, rice, groats, steel-cut oats and soups. Very handy. Now that I have two, I often have both going at the same time.

I have never heard of things like the 7-in-1 but it's on my wish list. Very cool.

In the meantime, I suggest you get a cheapie one like the $15 I bought just to see if you like it before investing in the more expensive one. If you like it enough to invest in the fancier, more versatile one, you will probably still find a use for the less expensive one. If not, places like Goodwill appreciate donations. I just wouldn't buy the more expensive kind until you are sure you will use it.

Sasha Khil thanked funkycamper
  • mushcreek
    8 years ago

We could use one. After our old one (35 years+) died, we bought an oval Hamilton Beech, but it was always very slow, and now won't reach a simmer, no matter how long it is on.

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

Morz8, beef stew cooking the Fagor! Can't wait to see how it turns out, because it certainly was easy.

8 years ago

I hope your stew was wonderful. I love that browning function pre-slow clook, it seems to sear nicely. Although I do have to sometimes brown in two batches so I'm not crowding the meat or chicken pieces.

• flamingfish
    8 years ago

I bought my crock pot because it's purple.

I recognize that, from a culinary standpoint, this may not have been the wisest ground on which to make my purchasing decision. (But c'mon -- a purple crock pot? How awesome is that?)

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

It is awesome (I love purple).

Morz, I browned the meat on the cooktop first. Next time I'll brown it in the cooker. Got any great recipes (the stew was very good once I increased the seasoned salt and red wine)? I sure loved walking out the door and having dinner ready later in the day. Now if only the carrots and potatoes would peel themselves LOL.

8 years ago

This one is good - I think it was a Southern Living recipe, tweaked a few times before being passed to me

Chicken, Sausage, White Bean Stew

lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into chunks
    Salt and pepper to taste
    1/2 to1 lb pork or Italian sausage crumbled
    2 onions, minced
    1 fennel bulb, sliced thin (it's fine without, I don't always have a fennel bulb on hand)
    6 garlic cloves, minced
    1 Tbsp tomato paste
    2 tsp minced fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried thyme
    1/3 cup all purpose white flour
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    4 cups chicken broth
    2 bay leaves
    2 15-oz cans cannellini beans, drained (or not drained, up to you)
    6 oz baby spinach

Brown chicken lightly on both sides, season with salt and pepper, (you'll need to do in two batches in the Fagor) Set aside

Brown sausage well. Set aside w/chicken. Add onions, fennel, garlic, tomato paste thyme, cook until vegetables are softened and lightly browned.

Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in wine, scraping up any
    browned bits. Whisk in 1 cup broth smoothing out any lumps. Stir in remaining broth and bay leaves into slow cooker. Add back the chicken and sausage. Cover and
    cook until chicken is tender, 6 hours on low (longer is fine if you're going out).

4. Stir in beans and
    spinach, cover and cook on high until heated through, about 10 minutes. (you can use your browning unit function again here instead of slow/high and speed it up)

• annestuartwrites
    8 years ago

I have an all clad deluxe and I love it. I've had mine for years and it's been amazing for me. Love the removable insert so you can brown meat and saute the veggies on the stove top before you put it back in the crock pot. It's a nice size and shape to fit pretty much everything I do. Mine has made more red wine braised short ribs than you can imagine and I've never had an issue with it. Whatever you decide though I'd go for one where the insert can come out and be used on the stove for browning, I'd also opt for one that is programable. Those have been killer features for me. Many many years ago I had the old fashion "crock pot" and loved it, but I love this so so much more.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional