quartzite in my kitchen.

hinda50
8 years ago

a mistake??

Comments (15)

• PRO
    Presidio Tile & Stone
    8 years ago

Depends on how hard you are on your counters. I think Quartzite is beautiful! You get that high end marble look without the fakeness of quartz. You just need to be careful you don't scratch or etch it. You could always hone it so that scratches aren't as noticeable.

hinda50 thanked Presidio Tile & Stone
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 years ago

IMO quartz look really depends on the maker of the quartz, I think quartzite is very pretty but would not be my choice for a kitchen counter in my kitchen.

hinda50 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Someone posted a lovely comment on Houzz regarding Quartzite and marble. The real quartzite (properly named re:stone composition) is only SLIGHTLY harder than marble...and marble is one of the softest stones. Quartzite performs only SLIGHTLY better than marble.

Some quartzites are SO SOFT the've been RENAMED "MARBLE". Oh dear. If you shy away from marble, then you would do well to SHY AWAY from quartzite as well.

Quartzite (if properly marked) will etch and stain like marble...but not to the same amount as marble. It is only SLIGHTLY tougher/harder. Take that into account when deciding your counter top.

If you feel, personally, that marble would be a 'mistake' for you, then it is very possible that quartzite will have the same effect: a mistake.

hinda50 thanked Cancork Floor Inc.
  • hinda50
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you for your advice.

• Chris
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I completely disagree. Our quartzite properly named is very hard, I cook with lemon a lot and never had one stain. Just be careful not to get flakey or crystal looking stone. I went to several suppliers did a lot of research and everyone told me quartzite is incredibly hard much more than marble. I also had some people try to talk me into engineered stone saying quartzite is not hard... It's not true. I have had it a year and the proof is in experience. As I said this stone is definitely super white quartzite bc I went over it a hundred times with my supplier .. Daltile in lynnhirst NJ. Also some of the quartzites are hard and very expensive more so than mine... Sea pearl and mcaubus. my brother has sea pearl and loves it no problems at all. I do remember Antarctica was one to stay away from

hinda50 thanked Chris
  • Chris
    8 years ago

This is a good article if you haven't read it! I would not say we are overly careful with our quartzite but we do wipe up spills if they happen but who wouldn't! Not one stain or etch anywhere ... I forgot to mention ask the fabricator which stones they have worked with that they would recommend I did that and passed on some stones.

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/kitchen-counters-quartzite-offers-strength-and-beauty-stsetivw-vs~28872832

hinda50 thanked Chris
  • hinda50
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Chris, thanks for all of your input and information. My problem is that I am redoing this kitchen in CA and I am in PA. Long boring story but I picked the slabs with little quartzite info (impulsively) and then had to leave CA and now will rely on my fabricator to follow through..look at the slabs to make sure they are hard, good etc. IF not I am in big trouble since am not going out to CA until 2/20. SO I am keeping my fingers crossed. I had been looking at quartz for a week and then at the last minute swtiched. ..it began to look so fake and lifeless.The info is so confusing..I have 4 grandkids and am nervous about the choice. But I think there is no going back!!! IT is a second home so it will not be used a ton but I am a very messy cook. Your pictures are beautiful. Thnx!!

• Chris
    8 years ago

Ask your supplier/fabricator the name of the slab - that will tell me more. There are some quartzites that bottom line are very hard and you need not worry. There are others that are flaky and you might have problems. Find out the name if you can.

• kchreg
    8 years ago

This is a timely discussion for me,, as I just picked a quartzite slab (Taj Mahal) and put it on hold. The choice of quartzite was predicated on my understanding that quartzite is at least as durable as granite, if not more. Hardness, according to the Mohs scale, is supposed to be roughly 6-6.5 for granite and 7 for quartzite. That speaks to its scratch resistance, but not necessarily etching. I was under the understanding that a good sealing, as with granite, will prevent that.

So, Cancork Floor's comment about it being only slightly harder than marble concerns me. And by that, I mean alarms me. This is far too costly to just wait and see how the stone actually performs in my kitchen.

Apparently, the main issue is whether or not a stone is true quartzite. With no standardization for naming in the industry, there's far too much latitude in calling something quartzite when it's actually not.

Chris--I love the Super White Quartzite but was told it was a bit softer than the Taj Mahal, which I also love. Since you're so happy with the durability of the Super White, I could be fine. Are you familiar with the performance of Taj Mahal in a kitchen over time? Both my husband and I do a lot of cooking, and we're exhuberant about it. Thanks!

• hinda50
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Chris, I think my quartzite is Calcutta. ( I am starting to wonder by the name if it is marble disguised as quartzite as one commenter said happens) yikes!

• Chris
    8 years ago

Kchreg you are going to be fine! The one you bought is more expensive than super white and is not flaky at all I think yours will perform beautifully don't worry about it. Hinda I just looked up Calcutta Quartzsite and I feel like I did see that one when I was looking. it also looks like a hardstone there were only a couple that really looked flaky like I said Antarctica comes to mind. Calcutta has the appearance of Seapearl a little bit or Taj Mahal it's beautiful in fact here is a link from the supplier where I got my super white and they list Calcutta with the picture... they would not be showing that if Calcutta were not a bona fide Quartzsite and not good quality so I think you're fine!

http://www.daltile.com/inspiration-and-diy/countertops/natural-quartzite-faq

• Lauren Began
    8 years ago

This whole quartzite thing is crazy. I've been reading for a few days and I think the real issues are with the super white quartzite or anything that is very light and white/gray only. Other quartzites that have color seem to work just fine.

I just tested out a sample of super white "quartzite"... We put red wine, ketch-up, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, and a slide of lemon. We left everything for about 5 minutes and wiped it off and saw very very very faint etching, you could only see it on one extreme angle and it didn't bother me at all. We left everything overnight and there were no stains, only etching. The worst etching was from the actual slice of lemon and you could see a faint out line and I thought it looked faintly whiter, but it's hard to tell with all of the white and gray activity going on. We also noticed that the grey parts didn't etch as much as the lighter areas, no clue why. We did the glass test and it easily scratched a glass bottle.

I've been agonizing over this for a few days and would highly suggest getting a sample from the yard or having your fabricator try it and do an experiment with what you would cook with. Only thing left for me to try is heat...

• hinda50
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Chris, and everyone else kind enough to respond. I took the plunge. I did the quartzite. The counters look beautiful and when I can figure out how to upload a picture I will. Did a scratch test before I bought the slabs...so far so good.

What do you use to clean and seal?

THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP!

• Snap Girl
    8 years ago

A must read-will clear up and confusion about whats real quartzite and whats dolomitic marble.

http://www.visionlearning.com/blog/2013/12/12/geology-kitchen-mystery-super-white/