Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sabrinatx

Master bathroom design can it be better (xposted)

sabrinatx
8 years ago

I've crossed posted this in the bathroom forums but theres not that much traffic. I have a small master bathroom planned but I am just wondering if there is a better layout option for this tight space. The interior room is 8 x 14. I cant not enlarge the room at all. I also can not take space from the safe storage room or bedroom.The plan is to have a clawfoot/slipper tub, a separate shower and dual sinks.

Is the best layout or could it be better.

Comments (20)

• User
    8 years ago

I would switch the toilet for the shower, put a window next to the toilet and make the shower larger. Hopefully there are windows above the tub.

• AnnKH
    8 years ago

I don't have any good layout suggestions, but I would not do a double sink in a tiny bathroom. I would much rather have storage and counter space.

Now, about your closets - 5 feet is not wide enough to hang clothes on both sides (I believe the recommended is 6'). The smaller closet could be a walk-in, if you moved the door to the center, and put rods on both sides. The big one either needs to be a foot deeper, or converted to a reach-in - but I'll bet you were planning to put the bed on that wall.

• sabrinatx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

JDS - Yes there will be a window where ever the tub goes. You're saying put the shower on the interior wall. I'm not thrilled with the angled shower and would rather have a rectangular shower.

AnnKH- The closet will be fine for us. The larger closet will be mine and I'm planning an L shape so there will be plenty of room for me to walk into the closet and get what I need. I can not waste any more square footage on a room that I'm only going to use to store clothes in. An no the bed will go between the windows and built ins will go between the closet doors. Thank you for your advice.

• arialvetica
    8 years ago

In such a small master bathroom, I would combine the shower/tub.

• just_janni
    8 years ago

Or give up the bathtub and do a kick butt shower!

• arialvetica
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

The only advantage that I've found to a separate tub/shower is I can put my kids in the tub (to contain / entertain them) and then take a shower (because otherwise I don't know when I'd have time to shower) but still make sure they are safe. But the period of time when a person deals with children at the perfect age to play in a bath tub with peripheral supervision is VERY short and not worth designing around. ;)

• sabrinatx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

This will be the only tub in the house. The kids J&J will have a shower only.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    8 years ago

"Safe" rooms are safer if they are not labeled "safe" and not published.

• sabrinatx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes I know Mark. You've told me a thousand times. Thanks for the help. I've come up with a floor plan that will work. Thanks for all the help

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    8 years ago

You may have better luck posting this in the Home Dec forum, its active and full of good problem solvers!

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Can you make the kids J & J a tub/shower? Ask yourself how often you will be bathing vs how often you'll be showering. Whichever is more, should get the larger amount of space or at least equal billing. The other reason is your vanities look rather small? How long is the vanity?

• User
    8 years ago

This is what I meant by flipping the toilet and shower. Everything gets larger.

Your biggest problem is the lack of elbow room at the lavs. I can't do anything about that. Would you really use them both at the same time?

If you like the shower rectangular try this:

• mrspete
    8 years ago

This is an 8x14 bathroom. That's pretty big. Remember, a very simple three-piece bathroom can be 5x8 (comfortably).

This bathroom is not quite 3Xs that large -- okay, my photo is a poor representation because it has all that space between the three bathrooms ... but the point is that if you had one more foot of width, this space could literally hold three bathrooms -- it's not small.

So why are we thinking it's small? Because the fixtures -- especially the tub -- are drawn in oversized proportions.

Using the closet as a size indicator, I switched out the deck tub for the clawfoot that the OP says she wants: This red oval represents a typical clawfoot -- about 30" wide and 5 1/2' long. Note how much more space is left around it. You could steal width from this bathroom /enlarge the bedroom and closet a bit and still fit the tub in comfortably.

Having said that, I do think the two sinks are too much for a vanity that width. It's much better to have one comfortable sink with drawer space beside it than two cramped sinks where two people can't stand side-by-side anyway.

So where's all the space in this bathroom? It's empty, walking-space right in front of the door. Somehow the pieces don't arrange nicely (unless you move the closet or the bathroom door) to avoid this.

I also agree with the above poster that the closets are massive space-wasters. The larger of the two requires 50 sf to obtain 10' of hanging space -- and reaching things at the far end won't be convenient. If this were reduced to a reach-in, it would be 20 sf to obtain that same 10' of hanging space. OR if she could add just another 12-18" to the width of the closet, she could hang clothes on both sides, doubling her storage. But as it's drawn, it makes no logical sense.

My overall assessment: While they're drawn out neatly, this whole arrangement -- closets, bathroom -- doesn't work. I say toss it out, let go of the "must haves" and start rearranging things in a completely different manner. Try the safe room where the small closet is. Try the bathroom where the big closet is. It can only improve.

"Safe" rooms are safer if they are not labeled "safe" and not published.

If Sabrina were passing this drawing around among her co-workers, I'd agree with you. However, since we don't know her real name or where she lives, I think she's pretty safe. Her screen name makes us suspect she lives in Texas -- or is from Texas -- or maybe went to college in Texas -- or plans to retire to Texas -- but I don't think that's going to give us much of a head start on burglarizing her. I think she can rest safe without fear from any of us burglarizing her.

• sabrinatx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow Thanks Mrs. Pete and everyone else! The vanity should be at least 6ft long, enough for two sinks and some storage. Anyways I've submitted the changes to our designer and am now waiting for the updates.

This is the bathroom I submitted. I feel good about this one. It even gives me a linen closet! We're going to do a pony wall between the toilet and tub.

I also get what everyone is saying about the closets, I really do. I have no problem with reach in closets but our builder and designer said it would be better to have a smaller/ narrower walk in closet for resale.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    8 years ago

Who is "us"? I have no idea who is reading this thread. There is a very good chance that someone that knows of Sabrina is reading this. I like to error on the side of safety, especially when it comes to safety.

• User
    8 years ago

sabrinatx

The most recent design you posted severely crowds all of the fixtures as well as the entry door and chops up the room for the sole purpose of adding a small linen closet.

Perhaps you could put the towels on wall racks or under the counter.

It is always difficult to draw plan without a scale drawing but that is the problem with JPGs. The shower looks to be only 32" wide.

You should always show the windows in a plan.

• cpartist
    8 years ago

I have no problem with reach in closets but our builder and designer said it would be better to have a smaller/ narrower walk in closet for resale.

Your builder and designer are not buying your house. You are. I'd rather have a well designed reach in with shelving, etc that is large enough than a poorly designed walk in where you feel as if you're in a shoe box. I've seen some builder "walk-in's" that they put in because "it's a selling point" and I can tell you I was turned off because I knew that even with the help of California Closets I'd still not have nearly enough room to put my stuff away.

• mrspete
    8 years ago

designer said it would be better to have a smaller/ narrower walk in closet for resale.

Your designer is arguing against math. Math is never wrong.

I like this new layout. It reduces the wasted space in the middle and gives you decent access to each bathroom component.

Who is "us"? I have no idea who is reading this thread. There is a very
    good chance that someone that knows of Sabrina is reading this.

I doubt it.

• artemis_ma
    8 years ago

I never heard of "safe rooms" until this thread. What's this about? (If you have a fire, or a flood, little much is safe...) And tornados... I suspect you want something underground, no?