Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelley889

Updated dining room pictures

Kelley Best
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

How do we like how things are coming along? I ordered a small size of this rug to test it out, do we like? Also, I am not sure of the side tables...pictured is a dark option (i would go unmirrored) or the console (which I have). I like the idea of a white or grey side table to offset the dark dining table. It has to be short though-chair rail is 32 inches up from the ground. The table and wall paper are similar but not mine. I have dark hardwood floors.

Comments (43)

• zzmom40
    8 years ago
    Oh... no on the mirrored sideboard..way to heavy and I don't think it will all fit...and the mirror thing has really been over done...to trendy...everything is so classic and I think timeless. Rug look nice! Hope you like the sample.
  • Kelley Best
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes zzmom, I agree about the mirrored thing being too trendy- I was looking at it more as an example on how a dark substantial table would look in comparison.

• Kelley Best
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Plus zzmom, I really think the black and white Greek Key curtains will look AMAZING in here!

• zzmom40
    8 years ago
    Agree!
    Love those darn zgallery chairs!
  • Kelley Best
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Me too! They are perfect and stunning!

• PRO
    HMH Development Inc
    8 years ago

Because of the height issue for the console, I suggest you look at media consoles also...they are typically 30". I think a pretty white lacquered console would look great.

http://www.shopcandelabra.com/worlds-away-mathis-white-lacquer-four-door-entertainment-console

• Kelley Best
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you for the suggestion. Also, another Houzzer suggested the table doesn't need to be under the chair rail. I love the idea of doing white or grey here. I plan to get the carpet and other furniture in place before I decide what to do here. :)

• Kelley Best
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Something like this would be 4 inches above...not sure if that will make things look off balance or not. I like this but not wild about the knobs

• zzmom40
    8 years ago
    Hi Kelley
    Was thinking if your dining room is 13'x12' I think you can only fit a table with all the upholstered chairs and the small glass accent table.
    13' minus a 7' table (84")
    You need at least 2' on each end to fit chair and be able to pull in and out so minus another 4'
    So that is 11' of the 13' only gives you 2' to walk around so take away the 10" of the glass accent table and wow only 1'2" left...
    even only getting a 6' table (72") it will just give you a little more breathing room but not enough to fit a full buffet piece.just something to think about. Talk to you soon!
  • Tess Wakefield
    8 years ago
    Have same problem. Decided on no buffet. Would be too crowded.
  • Kelley Best
    Original Author
    8 years ago

ZZ I think the measurement I gave you is off...I took it from a blueprint online of the same model but I have a table hutch and buffett in ther e now with plenty of room.

• zzmom40
    8 years ago
    Best to get the correct size. Can you take a measure and let me know..looks like the table you have is only about 5' long..because the chairs are very close together on the side...most chairs are around 22-24" wide hard to tell...I just want to make sure I don't advise you with the wrong sizes.
  • Kelley Best
    Original Author
    8 years ago

zzmom, just Measured, yes it is 13x12. The current table is 65 inches and the new one I just ordered is 72 inches. I think the one I have now is slightly too small; I think 72 inches should work well?...

• Kelley Best
    Original Author
    8 years ago

zzmom, yes, I did decide the same chairs all the way around and will be ordering them! The table will be here next Thursday- SO, once those things are in place, we will see what we are working with! :) I am in the process of selling my current set and already sold the hutch (not even sure you saw the hutch in any of the pictures)....

• zzmom40
    8 years ago
    Kelley that is awesome..so excited for you! Can't wait to see it come together!!
    Kelley Best thanked zzmom40
  • Kelley Best
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Zzmom, my light came in! How far above the table did you say it should be at a minimum?

• zzmom40
    8 years ago
    That is great! The bottom of the light should be no higher than 32" above the table.
  • Kelley Best
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Do you know how often Z gallery has sales?

• Kelley Best
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Do we like this chairs with my room? Very good deal on Overstock with a similar look to what is pictured. Not nearly as nice or fancy but I think would look nice.

Thoughts? Also, would it makes sense to order 1 set first to see if I like it before ordering all 3?

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Kacey-Star-Velvet-Nailback-Tufted-Upholstered-Dining-Chair-Set-of-2/10885059/product.html?refccid=3C6CPX255FCKPISELZZY7KDZEI&searchidx=8

• zzmom40
    8 years ago
    I think the other chairs are going to be very small scale...I think they might be to cheap looking??? They worry me..found these chairs what do you think really beautiful and dramatic back...might be a contender.
  • Kelley Best
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Very pretty but I'm afraid to do a pattern since I don't know about the rug. I LOVE the zgallery chairs and can't find anything that holds a candle...do you know if they ever have sales better then the 15% off?

• zzmom40
    8 years ago
    Not very often and only if you are lucky when on clearance....by than they never have enough left. Still don't think you will need a rug..a 8x10 will be to small and 9x 12 covers the whole floor...rugs in dining rooms work best when you have an open oversized space. Did the table you ordered have any matching chairs? It looks nice if the host chairs are upholstered and side chairs are wood that matches table finish..than you would only need 2 zgallery chairs.
  • PRO
    RugKnots | Area Rugs
    8 years ago

Kelley, I think your room would look great without a rug especially if you add thick curtains and patterned chair. But, if you are set on having a rug, which it sounds like you are, you need to choose the rug first. Patterned chairs will look spectacular but like you said, you can't make a decision on a pattern until you have the rug sorted out. This is why we choose the rug first to make all other design choices easier. I think you should make an executive desicion; Choose a rug you love and stick with it no matter what, or choose to not have a rug and start making design choices. With the measurements you gave me, an 8x10 is not too small. It provides just enough space so that the chairs are still on the rug when pushed out. 9x12 also wouldn't be too big with the dimensions you gave me it would leave a foot of baseboard showing on one end and 3 feet showing on the other end.

Now that you have decided on your furniture, the best thing to do is make a final decision on a rug.

Kelley Best thanked RugKnots | Area Rugs
  • Kelley Best
    Original Author
    8 years ago

zzmom, I just looked online and here are the matching chairs that go with my new dining table. I LOVE the idea of doing the Zgallery chairs as side chairs!! What do you think of these?

• Kelley Best
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I know this is a different topic but stumbled across these curtains, love the trim! Would look nice with my wall paper.

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago

Where are those from?

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago

They look custom.

• Kelley Best
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I couldn't find where they were from... I think they are custome, love that look, and there are a few Greek key accents in mixed with the circle pattern like my room!

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago

Kelly I don't like the chairs that come with table. They look cheap for your room. Get the 6 matching ones from HD if that's in your budget.

Kelley Best thanked User
  • Kelley Best
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Agreed they look cheap.

• Kelley Best
    Original Author
    8 years ago

what are you thoughts on these all around or as end chairs. I keep coming back to this pattern! If I did something more bold like this, I would either do no rug or a very nuetral one

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Safavieh-Lester-Grey-Zebra-Dining-Chairs-Set-of-2/8306996/product.html?utm_source=pinterest.com&utm_medium=social&utm_content=dining%20room%20%26%20bar%20furniture&utm_campaign=furniture%20

• zzmom40
    8 years ago
    I don't think the matching chairs look cheap..it is the seat cover that is horrible...the could be recovered with a light gray or white linen....some of the original table and chairs sets you showed me were slightly casual with a bit of country this would be a great way to mix that casual look with the contemporary accents you will be using in the room. Just a thought.
  • Kelley Best
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It definitely is the seat that is throwing off the look of the chair! The frame itself would be nice with 2 great end chairs

• zzmom40
    8 years ago
    The only concern would be the height of the chair..it shouldn't be higher than the end chairs..same or shorter.
  • zzmom40
    8 years ago
    Ok found these chairs super inexpensive but have decent reviews...would look great with your zgallery chairs. You mentioned the room will hardly be used so thought these might be a very budget friendly choice.
  • zzmom40
    8 years ago
    Sounds like the zgallery chairs are out....here is a budget friendly way to mix chairs.
    Please let me know if things are not in your budget so I continue to give you better direction....I really got thrown off when you looked like you would purchase a very expensive hand knotted rug. I really want your room to come together. If you go with the solid combination of chairs it leave the possibility of adding a large print drape if that is what you like. The inspiration pictures printed drapes in above post are custom for sure.. But it is possible to get the same look with readymades.
  • Kelley Best
    Original Author
    8 years ago

zzmom, When I added up the price of the chairs I decided it didn't make sense for me...I love them and wanted to make them work. The rug....honestly, I started feeling badly for the rugs I was selecting based on people's feedback. I didn't want my room to look cheap. BUT, then I decided i really don't NEED the best of the best. I can put together a beautiful dining room with similar items to the pricer ones suggested. This is all a learning process for me as I go! Getting a lot of opinions can help, but it can also be a little confusing! :)

• Kelley Best
    Original Author
    8 years ago

With the chairs, here is where I am at, I like the idea of the HD chairs (4th one down) OR with the grouping you just sent me, I really like the idea of the 2nd chairs on the side with the Joss an Main ones at the end!

• Kelley Best
    Original Author
    8 years ago

ZZmom, do you think the white Joss and Main chairs would be good side chairs to go with the HD ones? Or should I just do these all around? For the price and style, I think these are the perfect middle of the road chair for me

• zzmom40
    8 years ago
    I really think the Joss & Main.....all the way around table...just be careful sometimes shipping charges with them is horrible. I really hate it when people make you feel bad when you are posting items...yes your room is going to be beautiful no worries.
  • zzmom40
    8 years ago
    The target chairs are a unbelievable deal....the Joss & Main chair I posted is the I used at the ends of my table..really high back and very nice quality for the price....I am thrilled with them...they are not pure white but a soft neutral cotton...I have them mixed with my pure white and black ogee printed drapes and the 2 look beautiful together.
  • Kelley Best
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Zzmom- here is another angle of my room so you can see the wall we are considering using for thr console

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!