Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drav2012

1 large vs 2 small mirrors on 72" vanity?

drav2012
8 years ago

We are putting in the process of finishing off our basement which includes a new bathroom to be used mostly by the kids.

What are the benefits of having 1 large vs 2 individual mirrors on a 72" vanity? There will be no windows.

I know it will be quite a bit cheaper to go with 2. If I decide to do one large, where would be a good place to look for a large mirror and what size should I go with?

So many question!! ;) Thank you!!

Comments (4)

• User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I would use the full mirror. I can picture your kids being teens (if girls) and having a sleep-over where three girls could get ready with a full mirror. Though my son as a teen could spend a lot of time fussing with his hair, so maybe it's not so gender-specific.

Pottery Barn has large framed mirrors like the one in your first photo for a few hundred dollars. I know they have 60", not sure about larger. But I'd get a frameless beveled mirror from a glass shop. They can cut holes to mount sconces, and I think it's a good idea to use three because you have a wide space between sinks with that style vanity. You might consider bar style sconces so that you can put them on both ends and in the middle. They're 4-5" wide and won't impede the view of someone at the sink. Side sconces provide the best lighting--no shadows fall on the face from overhead lights. Mounting lights on the mirror will also bounce the light, nice to have in a windowless room.

A new look for full-length mirrors is a short mirror about 30-32" high, framed or unframed. I love this look for a long vanity. Less mirror, less cost from the glass shop!

Muirfield Townes · More Info

drav2012 thanked User
  • chisue
    8 years ago

Thinking down the road, if you tire of the wall of mirror, or it starts to fail, you'll have to patch the drywall when you remove it. OTOH, more mirror will reflect more light. Maybe the large, framed mirror posted by mayflowers is a compromise. With that, you could attach your lights to the wall, not through the mirror.

drav2012 thanked chisue
  • drav2012
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Good thinking!! I did get lucky, a friend of mine is giving us a huge mirror that can be cut down. The local glass shop will do a seamed edge if I want to leave it without a frame or can frame it out. 28.00 is all I will need to pay if I do the penciled edge with a little extra if I decide to do the sconces inside the glass(not quite sure on that yet. ;) Thanks for all your help!!

• mrspete
    8 years ago

I vote for the large mirror. As the mother of two girls, I can attest to their desire to "group primp", and a large mirror makes that possible. As for me, myself, I like to use the large mirror to check my outfits too (I have a full-length mirror in the bedroom, but the lighting is better in the bathroom, and if I step back I can see most of my body). And, yes, it reflects light and makes the room look larger.

As for a larger mirror costing more, if you go with the smaller mirror, you're going to need to tile the wall behind it, and that's probably more expensive than the large mirror.

The only negatives I can see are that a large mirror may need to be handled /installed by professionals. And you have to choose your lighting carefully, otherwise the fixtures may be too far apart.

Thinking down the road, if you tire of the wall of mirror, or it starts
    to fail, you'll have to patch the drywall when you remove it.

How can a mirror start to fail? My house was built in the late 60s, and the 11' wide mirror in my girls' bathroom is still in perfect condition.