Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rebunky

Did I finally find "The One"? Am I actually getting out of ABB?

rebunky
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

While looking for bathroom tile yesterday, I found this light greenish gray tile with a slight linen like texture and I thought, hmmmm...could it be? That is the exact color I have dreamed of for my kitchen backsplash from day one. I brought it home and immediately my heart started singing and I did a little happy dance. So does means it could be the one?

You know I'm open to honest opinions. My style is what you'd call transitional I guess.

My cabinets are white. Schuler white icing. My floors are a rich reddish brown wood called Ipe. My island granite was a craigslist find so no clue what it is called. My perimeter granite is called San Benidito. It's a dark gray with tiny flecks of a gray green. Hard to capture, but overall reads black. My sink is blanco silgranite in Cinder. Cabinet pulls are revitalize in ORB. Also sink faucet and Island lighting is bronze. I don't have a great overall shot of the kitchen but here's the best I have on my iPad. I can't take a better one now because it's a disaster at the moment.

This is the living room. Not finished Sheetrock, window trim, etc....Notice Ecko basking in the sun in her favorite spot and PJ snoozing on his corner of the couch? The couch matches the tile perfectly and the rug has that color.

Here it is on my perimeter granite and then the island. The brand is Jeffrey Court breakwater in the Sea color. This photo looks a little on the yellow side but in real life I'd call it more silvery sage.

Here is a link to all the specs and sizes it comes.

http://www.jeffreycourt.com/wp-content/library/10_Breakwater.pdf

If I get a majority of thumbs up, I would love help with the design. I figured the 3x9 for field tile but do I go with a regular running bond pattern or other. Do I use any of those fancy coral reef motif squares? The thinner stacks? Do I do a framed area behind the range as I always planned?

I guess I should first see if you all like the color and style first and then Worry about the design huh? :-)

Comments (78)

• Karen Eagle
    8 years ago

Nice choice!

rebunky thanked Karen Eagle
  • nosoccermom
    8 years ago

I love the subtle color and variation, but I'd skip the coral. Too wrinkly for my taste.

rebunky thanked nosoccermom
  • romy718
    8 years ago

My opinion is that less is more. You've got a lot of beautiful features in your kitchen - the glass stacked cabinets, the bead board hood/shelf, the skylight & ceiling, the gorgeous granite island & your beautiful, rich Ipe floor. Keep in mind that you are only going to have 5 rows of tile, vertically, below your cabinets. Two rows of accent tiles & you only have 3 rows of 3x9's. I'd rather my eye be drawn to the beautiful color & texture of the tile & am afraid the accent tiles will make it busy.

rebunky thanked romy718
  • rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

May, I like that idea a lot! I was so excited to draw it up when I got home because I thought it was perfect. As I started drawing it though, I got dizzy. I realize my drawing is probably way off, think I made some sort of a 1/3 offset brick pattern on the 3x9's, and I won't see a crazy maze of all the lines like on graph paper. But the thought of trying to pull that off, I started having a raging panic attack!

Romy, maybe your right that less is more, and I should just stick to the running bond everywhere. Here is my pathetic drawing for laughs anyways. :-D

motherwallace, I do like that idea too and something along that line was my first thought. Just a random coral spaced here and there.

NSM, thank you very much for your opinion. You seriously got me thinking about the coral tile. My first thought was, ya know what, those wrinkles or "coral" squiggles do sort of look like the spider veins on the back of my legs that I got from pregnancy. I hate them with a passion! My little nephew even pointed them out one day and said "Auntie, you have Owie" Ok, that did it, no spider vein tile! Haha!

I am not ruling out a row or two of plain squares w/liner just yet, but I will do some better mock ups with my app to be sure. I know I would be very happy with the brick layout in the 3x9 tile all on its own. Plus it will be the easiest for me to do myself. Dh will help me, but I'm determined to accomplish this feat.

javiwa, don't you worry, I will have pops of turquoise somewhere just not in the backsplash. I am getting my turqouise full on over at the cabin vacation rental were building. Check out what I'm planning for the bathroom shower walls and an accent mosaic!

• User
    8 years ago

I let one square be 3" when I drew it. Romy says five rows, so you'd have two rows of squares and three of subway. No room for liner.

Cut some paper or cardstock and try out some ideas. I suggested that to a home decor regular and it worked out really well. Everyone told her one size until she taped another size up, then they all switched their vote.

rebunky thanked User
  • rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

May, I was just trying to figure out how many rows at 3" high I would have including the grout lines from counter to bottom of cabs. I'd like to have as much full tiles as possible.

Height from countertop to upper cab is 17 7/8" exactly.

Height from countertop to bottom of the range hood is 31 1/2".

Height from countertop to under the granite window sill is 10 5/8".

The one area I really want to be as close to equal as possible is under the window. If need be, I can take out the granite sill and do wood with trim under. Here is a terrible picture.

I asked Mr Rubunky and he just taught me something new....get this! He asked, "Is it really 3x9". Measure it."

The tile isn't 3x9. It is 2 7/8" x 8 5/8" on the sample. Ugh! Kill me now! But what is crazy funny is that the 3x3 is right on exactly 3x3 on the sample.

Oh and I asked him what if it is only 1/16 off on one side, but not the other? He smiled. I guess, perfection ain't happening. I know I need to accept it. It is okay, it's okay, I am sure it will be okay.....;-)

Here is a close up of the sample board to show what I mean. Granted it's not going to be a big deal to anyone else but us GW people who need to know these exact details. We can deal with it if we know ahead of time but not as we see it for the first time as contractor walks out the door!

The running joke I say to my dh when I'm not understanding something he is doing is,

"What would a real contractor do?"

He laughs, then gets me back later. Like right now....Stinker!

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

rebunky,

Isn't it terrible once we "see" something. I didn't see spider veins, but now I can't see anything else.

Love the texture of the other tiles, though.

BTW, I'm surprised that the sample board would already have those slight misses. Notice the bottom of the spider vein tile and the tile next to it?

rebunky thanked nosoccermom
  • romy718
    8 years ago

Here's a couple of pics to help you visualize how many rows of tile you will end up with. Please don't remove your granite sill. You'll most likely end up with a portion of a tile under cabinets, hood & sill. It doesn't bother my eye. My tiles are 3 1/8" and my grout lines are smaller than they should be. Recommended grout lines for handmade tile is 3/16" versus 1/8" to avoid lippage. It's funny when you learn new things on this forum. My tile had been installed for months when I read about lippage & hand made tile recommendations regarding grout line size & sanded versus unsanded grout. I jumped up & started closely examining my backsplash. Sure enough, I have some slight lippage underneath the hood. I never noticed it - now I can only see it when the hood lights are on. Another thing I recently learned here is to mix the grout (especially if it white or light) with distllled water. Tap water may have rust in it. Who knew?

That is the tenth row of tile at 31". My tile is listed as 3 1/8 by Encore & I got one out of the box of extras & measured it at 3 1/8.

rebunky thanked romy718
  • rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

NSM, I know, once I saw the spider veins those tiles were history. Lol!

Yes, that's the section I saw too. I noticed how the top of the coral tile lined up nicely with the 3x9, yet at the bottom it didn't line up because they are not both 3". Also in the top picture the longer skinny mosaic tiles under the 3x9 were different sizes as well.

I am sure it wlll be fine, but it is just nice to be aware of these little things ahead of time so you can rule out patterns that would highlight these imperfections if it would bother you.

Romy, thank you. That photo helps me a lot. Plus, I never get tired of drooling over your tile. That cut tile at the top looks fine to me too. I think I will end up with just over a half tile under the granite sill. Maybe 1 5/8"x9" or so.

Your minimal grout line is what I prefer, but thanks for the tip on the lippage and distilled water. I'll go with a little bigger grout line then. I will be sure and check the recommendation on the type of grout, sanded or unsanded. What was yours?

I find it interesting that your tiles are 3 1/8". I never realized that when they call it a 3x6 or 3x9, it doesn't necessarily mean it's that size. It seems depending on the tile brand, some may make them over or under that call out size. That reminds me how I also learned from DH just recently that a 2x4 wall stud, is not really 2"x4". It's 1/2" less! I learn something new everyday! Especially from reading GW.

Mayflowers, I'm definately going to do the card stock tip. Thanks again. Any news on your backsplash yet?

• User
    8 years ago

I have a new idea for mine--a behind the range design with 3x6 for the field tile. I think I'm going to make use of the Fireclay free design services. I have to put together some photos first though.

Is your tile hand-made? That accounts for the different sizes. I'd do the recommended grout lines as I think it adds to the charm and traditional feel of your cabinets. I felt the coral tile was a little bathroomy, but since you are in Hawaii, I don't think you have to be overly conservative in your tile selection, so I didn't say anything.

rebunky thanked User
  • desertsteph
    8 years ago

"Isn't it terrible once we "see" something. I didn't see spider veins, but now I can't see anything else."

so true! I didn't 'see' veins in it, I saw a cleaning trauma... I think of those things first now (it seems), being older and a bit disabled (well, I am disabled, but I can move around (usually) and do some things - just not what I remember me doing yrs ago!) it does take me hours (it seems anyway) to do something I used to do in a few minutes. So now I always try to think ahead and what something means to me in terms of cleaning it/upkeep. and the 'spider vein' tiles were an instant 'no' to me. I like the 'looks' of it, but I just wouldn't want to be the one keeping it clean - or looking at it dirty!

I'm also so aware of grout - I don't like it and want as little as possible anywhere near me - lol! don't want to have to clean it, so I wouldn't be using the skinny little tiles.

love the color tho - and your granites! it'll be beautiful.

eta- and I loooovve your bathroom tiles!

rebunky thanked desertsteph
  • rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Desertsreph. I love them too. The turquoise blue ones are Lunada Bay tile. My inspiration is Lisa_a's bathroom. She has a recent progress thread going on it. You are so right about the cleaning aspect. I didn't even think about that!

May, I look forward to what the Fireclay designers come up with for you. As usual, you are right on. The coral tile does look more bathroomy now that you mention it. They are hand made come to find out. Here is from their website.

Chapter 10 Breakwater Collection reflects the shade variations associated with hand-made tile. As with all Jeffrey Court hand made tiles, we strongly recommend laying out and blending the tiles prior to installation. This step will ensure a proper color blend in order to achieve a classic look for your installation.

• User
    8 years ago

I like the 1x9 rail. It has a cottage feel to it. I like the photo with the garlic and lemons but without the coral/spider veins.

rebunky thanked User
  • rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes I love that pencil rail too. I like how it has the indented middle section, not the normal bull nosed type. I will do a mock up of that for sure.

• turtlehollow
    8 years ago

I didn't see spider veins. What I saw was fungi (as it looks under the microscope).

Anyway, what is ABB? what does that mean?

rebunky thanked turtlehollow
  • lisa_a
    8 years ago

ABB = All But Backsplash (finished kitchen).

rebunky thanked lisa_a
  • a2gemini
    8 years ago

Haven't checked in recently. I have been busy with our puppy and then fractured a small bone in my wrist.

Turtle- you must be a newbie. ABB is All But Backsplash. In most college towns, there are a lot of ABDs - all but dissertation. I am not sure who started using the term first but I helped proliferate the term.

Rebunky - I love your kitchen tile choice and your bathroom tile as well. The kitchen tile is very calming and looks great with your kitchen colors.

Can't wait to see the final pictures and so glad you will no longer be in the ABB club.

rebunky thanked a2gemini
  • Danielle Gottwig
    8 years ago

I missed this thread when it first surfaced. I'm glad the birds are singing for you. :)

I am terrible with color matching / selection, but with that disclaimer - I think the tile looks really good next to your counter photos. Personally, I also love the subtle color.

rebunky thanked Danielle Gottwig
  • rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Turtlehollow, lol! Now I see fungi too!

A2gemini, thank you. Means a lot coming from one of the founding members of the ABB club. Have fun with you new pup and hope wrist heals quickly. I hear bromelain is good for fractures so eat your pineapple. :-)

Historian, thank you and your tile floor turned out great!

• dan1888
    8 years ago

Pineapple, almonds and yogurt. Lots. No aspirin or Tylenol.

rebunky thanked dan1888
  • tinker1121
    8 years ago

Looks perfect! I think that how it goes, you look and look and then bam, you see it and know it is it! I have JC tile and our friend who installed it loved the quality and easy to install. Congratulations!

rebunky thanked tinker1121
  • kksmama
    8 years ago

Rebunky, I've looked at this thread several times on both my computer and ipad, and the pairing of that backsplash and your counters looks more perfect each time! Really looking forward to the final result. And to figuring out where I can use the sea salt color.

rebunky thanked kksmama
  • rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Tinker, yep that was exactly what happened. TY!

kksmama, oh thank you, that made me feel so good! That sea salt is a great color!

• a2gemini
    8 years ago

Rebunky- Thanks! I can't wait to see it. I keep getting more excited whenever I pop in!

I don't want to hijack your thread with puppy pics- but if you go to FB - you can find him - Gatsby Picard.

rebunky thanked a2gemini
  • rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I just saw him on the weekly thread. He's adorable, I've never heard of that breed. I'm going to look that up. I'm so glad you have popped back in.

• a2gemini
    8 years ago

Thanks. I didn't list the breed He is a Berger Picard. If you saw the movie Because of Winn-Dixie, he is a Winn-Dixie dog. The breed was almost wiped out by the wars.

• rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh I just love that movie. I just looked him up and I was totally butchering the pronunciation. I learned it is French and sounds like bare-ZHAY means “shepherd,” and Picard (pronounced pee-CARR). My husband laughs at me because my French accent is so embarrassing. We went to Tahiti for our 10 year anniversary and people would pass and say Bonjour. I'd say back Bon Ger (as in I ate a Bon Bon that had germs on it) Lol! Oh and for the record anyone can high jack my thread for an reason, but pet pictures are very welcome!

• rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Tile Update: Tile is ordered folks! It's happening!

We showed the tile guy this picture today.

Dh explained to him how on the sample board the square tiles were 3" but the 3x9's were at 8 5/8", so no way they could be lining up as close as in the photo.

He was stumped at first, but got out the spec book with the photo. We all studied it. Then he figured it out. He says, "Look at the middle square, it's definitely smaller. They must have cut just that middle one. He measures the photo and sure enough the center tile under the 9" rail it is slightly smaller.

So what I ended up ordering was all 3x9's and the pencil liner. Instead of ordering separate squares and having to shave some or all of them down, I will instead cut the 3x9 into thirds.

I figure if I totally hate it, I can always try it with a full 3x9 piece with the liner. If I don't like that either, I will just do all of it with the 3x9 and use the liner somewhere else.

Here is a mockup of what I was thinking of trying first. First a row of squares at the countertop, then the 1x9 rail, then a 1/3 offset pattern with the 3x9's. My lines are a little off here, but you get the idea. And of course it will be in my sea green color. This is the white. Oh yeah and NO spider vein/fungi tile just the plain color.

They had a grout color that matched the tile perfect too.

Whatcha think? Good plan?

• lisa_a
    8 years ago

Thumbs up!

rebunky thanked lisa_a
  • tinker1121
    8 years ago

When will the installation begin? Can't wait to see the finished project!!! So perfect!

rebunky thanked tinker1121
  • Danielle Gottwig
    8 years ago

I really like the pattern, and I imagine that it will work well with the subtle color and variations in the tile.

rebunky thanked Danielle Gottwig
  • Karen Eagle
    8 years ago

Rebunky, I think it will look great! I'm not sure if you'd want to check the grout. DH just grouted our tile with unsanded Tec brand grout, which we thought was an exact color of the tile. It dried lighter and I'm disappointed. It's not disastrous but we were going back and forth if we should go darker. I didn't read GW enough regarding grout or I would have picked the darker one and tried a sample.

Can't wait to see it done!

• Melissa Kroger
    8 years ago

it looks perfect and will be so pretty. I can't wait to see it done!

rebunky thanked Melissa Kroger
  • a2gemini
    8 years ago

Just for you Rebunky! Can't wait to see your kitchen backsplash.

just remember- they arecFrench and kiss with their tongues - and they really do smile!

rebunky thanked a2gemini
  • kksmama
    8 years ago

Um, I think I'd rather see it just like the picture, or just like the picture but without the coral pattern. I'm not so sure about the pattern with 3" squares and then offset, why not run it straight up? I do like the liner. And I'm NOT a design guru or expert at all, so you can certainly ignore me without any hurt feelings. While you wait for the tile, maybe you could cut some paper and tape it up in your kitchen? I'm really excited about seeing the final result, you have the most gorgeous colors and wonderful natural light to showcase all the hard work you've done!

(A2genimi, I'm glad Rebunky doesn't mind you sharing the puppy pics - what a doll!)

rebunky thanked kksmama
  • rebunky
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Kksmama, I'm not sure about it myself! Ha! I appreciate your advice. I promise once I get the tiles, I will do a few different sample boards up and let you all help me decide. I cannot find any good examples of what I was thinking, but I just know that the stacked pattern in the original photo is a little too modern for me. I know I love the squares with the liner though.

Keagle thank you. I will definately try out the grout first. I will also probably chicken out and have our tile guy we usually use do the grout. He does a great job.

Tinker, being in Hawaii everything takes forever, but hopefully in a few weeks we should be ready to rock-n-roll!

A2, oh my goodness! Look at that face! Ecko smiles at my husband every time he comes home. At first we didn't know what the heck she was doing. She kind of puts her head real low but then raises her upper lip showing her "smile". It is hysterical. He now has trained her when he says, "Smile. Give me a smile." She'll do it. Apparently in dog language it is them asking for love and attention, but in the most submissive way.

• rebunky
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Well I finally did it! I’m no longer in the ABB club. I cannot believe how long it has been since I started this thread. Here’s the outcome. I’m satisfied and mostly just glad to be DONE. The grout line is fat, but we had to go bigger due to the unevenness of the handmade tiles. I wish we did 3/8 but did 1/2” because that’s what the tile guy had and he was here ready to go. Plus the grout is much greener then I thought from the sample. From a distance looks pretty good, but up close it make the green/grey tile more grey, where before it looked more green. Oh well life goes on and I’m am very happy overall. Thank you to everyone’s input and helping me through this! Woohoo!

• kksmama
    6 years ago

Hurray for you! I just love the whole kitchen, and (like your backsplash) have a touch of green jealousy. Maybe more than a touch....that skylight is perfection.

rebunky thanked kksmama
  • Chessie
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

You have a beautiful kitchen. I love beadboard and shaker so it really "speaks" to me. :-) Gorgeous island - I love that shine.

Gotta ask - what is ABB?

rebunky thanked Chessie
  • Ranch Mom
    6 years ago

Beautiful!

rebunky thanked Ranch Mom
  • barncatz
    6 years ago

Oh my gosh, it's gorgeous! I love the linen texture shown upthread.

I had chosen a green tile and then chickened out and so like kksmama, I have way more than a touch of green jealousy! This tile just looks so right in your kitchen.

rebunky thanked barncatz
  • cyc2001
    6 years ago

Wow, everything is just beautiful!! Love the backsplash. It’s such a pretty, soft color. Well done!

rebunky thanked cyc2001
  • mom2sulu
    6 years ago

Such harmony!! I think you found the perfect tile for your kitchen. :)

rebunky thanked mom2sulu
  • Karen Eagle
    6 years ago

Everything looks terrific! Enjoy!

• javiwa
    6 years ago

@Chess: All But Backsplash

• javiwa
    6 years ago

@rebunky: gorgeous...so, so happy for you!

rebunky thanked javiwa
  • ssharris03
    6 years ago

Really pretty!

rebunky thanked ssharris03
  • lisa_a
    6 years ago

It looks great, Rebunky! Happy dance that your kitchen is finished!

rebunky thanked lisa_a
  • BenjiBoi
    6 years ago
    Love it!
    rebunky thanked BenjiBoi
  • ispeakwhale
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Well this turned out well!! :))