Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maxima9

Help! Is my new Neolith countertops cut and installed wrong? See pic.

maxima9
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We are going through a year-long major rehabilitation of our 1940 house and living in it. Anything that can go wrong has gone wrong, extensive mold, water, termite damages, knob and tube wiring, galvanized pipes, plaster walls, no insulation, etc. It's been really taxing on my spirit when work is already crazy, and our contractor sucks and most subs disappeared or don't show. 50% over budget so far. Hubby has a 3-hour commute daily so he is no help. I'm handling the entire project.

Finally had Neolith Calacatta 12 mm countertops installed in kitchen and all bathrooms today from an authorized fabricator who is not part of our contractor's crew. After installers left, I noticed most of the mitered edge overhangs do not butt right up to the edge of cabinets. Instead, there's half an inch gap away from the cabinets.

It's late so I don't want to call the fabricator now. Found Neolith official installation instructions and it says "Standard cabinet frames are 60 cm deep with 1.5 cm to 2.5 cm thick doors." We have inset cabinets and vanities that doors are flush to the frames and do not stick out. The kitchen peninsula and all bathroom vanity counters have the half inch gap. But the smaller 2 counters next to stove did not have the gap, which is what I want. See pictures.

Did my fabricator cut and installed wrong? I really feel like crying at this point. Thanks in advance.

Can't figure how to post photo, so I saved it in my idea book below:

http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/31329842/thumbs/kitchen-ideas

Comments (19)

• desertsteph
    8 years ago

pictures?

• maxima9
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I don't know how to post. Help, thought I can upload a file using my computer?

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

Are these your pictures?

Kitchen Ideas · More Info

• maxima9
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes! Thank you so much! How do I upload them? I'm using the full site on my computer, clicked on the Photo button below the comment box, selected the photo from my hard drive, click Open on the pop up window, but it doesn't show?

• silken1
    8 years ago

Use the Houzz Photo Button and then the Browse to get pics off your computer. That's how I finally made it work.

• speaktodeek
    8 years ago

Do you plan a backsplash? If so, just pull the two wall counters forward for your gap, and use your backsplash to fill the gap at the back. If the backsplash isn't thick enough, mount backer board first, then tile. I think this is not that big a deal, even as is. The job looks good at the mitered edges and fittings otherwise, and NOBODY will ever know that the peninsula has a slightly larger overhang than the wall side.

• just_janni
    8 years ago

And it's things like this that are exactly my worry with this new product. it's only as good as it's fabricators.

I do think that you can make it work as suggested above (hopefully) and they are stunning. So - take a deep breath and you will get it resolved.

Hope having TheSize here helps, too.

8 years ago

I'm not sure I understand--are the photos of the underside of the overhang, and the issue is that there's a larger overhang (because of the gap) on the island than on the two small counters? That sounds like more of a straight-up measurement issue than anything to do with the material itself or its newness. While I'm not a technical expert, I don' think there's any structural problem with the gap, so I think you could either leave it as is or pull the tops on the small counters out a bit as suggested.

I'd love to see more pictures of your countertops. Our Neolith should be going in next week.

• maxima9
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    No issue with the Neolith materials. my issue is I want all countertop overhang to touch the frames of our inset cabinets, like the 2 smaller pieces next to the stove in the pic that says no gap.

I'm not sure if our fabricator measured wrong? Or Neolith mitered edge overhang should be installed with a gap from frames of cabinets to accommodate thickness of overlay doors. But we have inset doors!

Don't think there's a way to fix it :(
  • just_janni
    8 years ago

I too like the no overhang look. I think it looks cleaner / more modern. I know that if there's a spill it will get on the front of the cabinets, blah blah blah - but I have an overhang now and ANYTHING I spill seems to get on the cabinets anyway - so I might as well have it look the way I want. Hope it can get sorted - they may have to cut and redo all the edges - but then you are right - they won't have the continuous pattern look... ugh.

• maxima9
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Still can't post pictures using full site on my laptop but I can post pics using phone app. So weird.

Thanks everyone for the ideas. Talked to fabricator, basically he measured/cut wrong. Nothing can be done at this point. They also broke one of the dual vanity bathroom sink when installing vanity counter. When I tried to order another sink for the dual vanity, it'd been discontinued, argh. May need to remove the one sink already installed and buy 2 new sinks. I hate Murphy's Law.

Here are more pics. Kitchen peninsula is 123" x 44" plus a another small section that make up the L shape. The seem was done well. A corner was chipped a little. A close up pic shows a surface scratch (really hard to see) and a crack under the surface easily seen. I put an iPhone 6 Plus and a 1.5" glass cabinet door knob on the peninsula as reference. Really love the inset cabinets.
  • maxima9
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    More pics. Wish my phone camera has wide angles so I can take better pics.
  • Mags438
    8 years ago

Sorry I can't provide any input for your problem. I just had to post how gorgeous your countertop is.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 years ago

If they rip a 1/2" off the top at the wall it will fix the gap at the opposite end but knock your sink 1/2" off center which may be an acceptable trade off. Have them reinstall the top with no gap at the sink edge and let the overhang be a bit bigger.

• PRO
    SCOLARI MARBLE & GRANITE INC
    6 years ago

You're getting some bad advice here. 1st off the fabrication and install look good from the pics provided.

As for the overhang , the cabinets with doors have a 'gap ' under the edge to get the neolith either flush or past the doors . The cabinet sides with no doors dont require the same overhang .

In my experience what some are advising as to leave the Neolith flush with cabinet and NOT overhanging the doors looks absolutely terrible. Think about it...do you really want to look down the side of your cabinets and see tge doors protruding past the cabinet doors and drawers?

• maxima9
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I appreciate your post but we have inset cabinets, so we will not see any cabinet doors or drawer edge when looking down. Anyways, it's been a long time since the countertops were installed, and we absolutely regret using Neolith material.
  • Luis E Andrea
    2 years ago

If you wanted the countertop to not have an overhang you would have needed to have the cabinet installer put enough layers of plywood to equal your edge thickness and also have the plywood short of the cabinet face frame to accommodate the thickness of your Neolith. These details should have been discussed with the fabricator when they came out to template. What you have is not wrong it is the standard way to do it. Sounds like someone failed to communicate what they wanted to the fabricator. FYI Neolith states there should be a gap between their material and other materials, you cannot have it touching the wood anywhere because of differences in expansion and contraction between dissimilar materials….and all inside corner cuts have to have a small radius, cannot be square, even on under-mount sink cutouts and outlets.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

From where comes the premise that plywood is a suitable sintered underlayment please?