Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzanne_langlais

What do I do with mirrored walls?

KQ
11 years ago
Buying a house. One wall is totally mirrored - I assume to a. Look bigger and b. reflect the outdoors in. But, I don't love the mirrors. I can get rid of them, sure, but before I do, maybe someone has some ideas on how to make them look...less obvious, softer?

Comments (34)

• Molly Kahn
    11 years ago
    I like mirrors so I would leave them and then put color in the room.
  • loll33
    11 years ago
    You might have crown molding installed. Just a thought.
  • Manon Floreat
    11 years ago
    You could consider semi-sheer ceiling mounted curtains along the mirrored wall. The folds will certainly soften it.

SHH · More Info
  • donnalenhardt
    11 years ago
    Seems like you have the outside inside already. The mirrors just seem to make things cold and harsh. Marion Floreat's idea of sheer drapes is good-however, I endorse your first impression of removing them! Just depends if you want Hollywood glam, or soft and "stay awhile".
  • PRO
    KQ
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    This is actually the pic from the listing. None of this furniture remains. I like the idea of sheer curtains, and the idea of crown molding. If I was going to create a mirrored wall, I'd probably use that "dirty" aged mirror in tiles, rather than these large "door" sections. Currently the tv is facing these mirrors which can't be good...
  • PRO
    KQ
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I am going to go for a clean contemporary look, so cozy/stay a while isn't what I am going for. I just don't want to rip them out before I have a plan. So... Remove them and what goes on that wall?
  • PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I think if you have not moved in yet, remove them before you do. This is the time to do it. Mirror on the walls like this screams Palm Springs early 80s to me. Paint the walls, give us an idea of your furnishings so we can advise a plan for you.
  • PRO
    KQ
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I love the first two ideas and actually have the third pinned for a bedroom with a mirrored wall. Do NOT like the fourth example. I don't actually have any furniture yet for this room, starting from scratch! But the look I am going for is CLEAN, cool, elegant, streamlined contemporary. NOT harsh, cold contemporary, but trying not to lean toward overly warm contemporary. I have a transitional/contemporary New England home now - think stone and wood and clean lines. But I want a different look for this Florida vacation home. Cooler, but not cold. Make sense?
  • PRO
    KQ
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    More looks
  • PRO
    KQ
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    A few more...
  • Loreto
    11 years ago
    Not sure about your style but here are some suggestions that i found on the web and a couple pics:

If your new place comes with mirrored walls, you may feel like you're living in a gym or dance studio. Though once trendy, entire walls covered with sheets of mirror are likely to look dated today, especially if you favor classic, antique or vintage decorating styles. Ripping out the mirrors and repairing the walls isn't your only option. You can update the look while leaving the mirrors intact.

Glaze, Dye and Paint
    Make dated mirrored walls look even older by giving them the elegant appearance of an antique. Use a glaze and dye combination to mimic the cloudy look of old mirror glass with eroded silvering. With glaze, paint and a faux-finish technique, you can make the mirror look like mercury glass. You can also use stencils and frosted paint -- the type used as spray-on privacy film -- to give your mirrored walls an etched look.

Decals
    Give your mirrored wall a new look with self-adhesive vinyl decals. The removable versions are ideal for renters who can't make permanent changes without risking their security deposits. Decals come in a range of designs, including florals, geometric patterns, scrolling designs reminiscent of the Art Nouveau period and ornate gingerbread patterns that resemble exterior Victorian woodwork. Black, white and metallic wall decals look good on mirrors, but other colors are available too.

Fabric
    To hide the mirror completely, cover your walls with fabric. Choose fabric with a tight weave so that the mirror doesn't show through. If you use lightweight fabric, make sure it's not too sheer to hide the mirror. Tape a fabric sample on the wall to check, and then view it in both natural and artificial light. You can use either spray adhesive or liquid starch to affix the fabric to the mirrored wall. Opt for the reversible starch method if you're renting or if you want to avoid permanent damage to the mirror. If you wet the starched fabric when you're ready to remove it, you can just peel it away from the wall. Unless your wall is unusually narrow, you'll have to use multiple pieces of fabric to achieve the required width. Hide the seams with ribbon, gimp or glue-on strips of faux nail-head trim for a finished look.

Wallpaper
    Hanging wallpaper over your mirrored walls is another full-coverage option. Most mirrored walls are larger than a single sheet of mirror, which means most have seams where the sheets join together. Those seams may show through if you use thin wallpaper. Opt instead for heavy, vinyl wallpaper or rough-surface wallpaper, which has a padded backing. If you're renting, try one of today's removable wallpapers. You can peel them off with no damage when you're ready to move.
  • PRO
    KQ
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Huh, nothing like the obvious?! I noticed that more than half my examples had a gas fireplace... Hmmm... I really like the idea of glazing the mirrored wall...

So, if you can see from the pic they currently have an armoire in the reflected wall which houses the tv. So I'm thinking of a few options:

Put a gas fireplace on the small wall, antique glaze the mirrored wall, or put sheer curtains and have a tv on the mirrored wall.

Ignore the small wall, or have a piece of artwork, or whatever, then ditch the mirrors completely in favor of some combo gas fireplace, tv wall.

Opinions? Alternate suggestions?
  • PRO
    KQ
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Loroca, I like the picture with just the top half of the wall mirrored! There is (yes, a third room) with floor to ceiling mirrors. This one off the kitchen. I could simply obscure the bottom half with... Something... I like!
  • PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    One thing to remember is that even if you cover the mirror with something you will have to be very careful about attaching anything else to it. One wrong move with a drill and you have a big problem!
  • PRO
    Angelina Vick
    11 years ago
    What if you commissioned a glass artist to etch into the glass?

If I were you...I would consult with some artists that make mirror art. See if it is possible to etch glass that is already hanging. (I am almost positive is the answer yes.)

Depending on the look you want in the room, you could go with so many different designs.

A huge tree http://www.flickr.com/photos/sanssoucieartglass/4228769072/

A scene of mountains and the sky. A geometric pattern.

The only thing I would be careful of...is that whatever you choose will have a universal beauty, so that if you decide to redecorate...your mirror wall still flows well.

You could also see if there is a way to paint onto the mirror in a permanent way. I've never painted on glass...so I am not sure. But you already have these smooth panels hanging.

Turn it into a huge mural. =)

I'm sorry my ideas are not tested...but that is what popped into my head. Maybe one would work.

One last thought. Use the mirrors as a simple back drop...and use the wall like you would if it were not mirrored. A large entertainment center, or whatever you want do do with your space. Minimizing the impact of the size of the mirrors but still utilizing it in your overall design...maybe with silver accents around your space.
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    11 years ago
    I'd frame out the mirror in a bold wide frame to the tone of wood you will be bringing in on your furniture.

You could also stencil paint a soft opaque design over the mirror to make it an art feature, (shown in my photos here on clear plexi glass inserts) and then frame it out - lots of options, you need to tie in the millwork to the rest of the house and this would be my favorite option for you. Good Luck!
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    11 years ago
    I was going to say why not spray them so they are opaque ? You'd loose the harshness without loosing the extra light it bounces around ?!? Failing that - sledge hammer 'accident ' - what ever you choose, I'm sure you'll have it looking like a beautiful home in no time ! Have fun!!!
  • Debbie Tremblay Interior Designer
    11 years ago
    The mirror wall would make an excellent media wall. Weather you keep the mirror or not, the are very nice ways to incorporate you media center to a gas fire place or not. Here are some idea. Hope this is the style you mean to have.
  • Loreto
    11 years ago
    I like your idea of glazing the mirror. Personally, i wouldn't want the tv on it. I feel like it will kind of cheapen the look of it.... But preserve the mirror somehow because it looks like you got yourself a glamorous looking place and i think the mirror "reflects" that (like my joke? :)) ....anyways. Maybe put the tv on the small wall, and a fireplace on the mirrored wall with panelling along the bottom
  • PRO
    Eileen A art
    11 years ago
    Personally I will put some beautifull plants in front of the mirror until you dec ide what to do
  • PRO
    KQ
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Thanks everyone for all your comments, Debbie I LOVE your second picture suggestion! I think trying to put outlets and cables through mirror would be extremely difficult, so I will probably be removing the mirrors completely and painting this wall a dark charcoal and putting long, slim fireplace, with a tv and floating ledge. I will post pictures when I do! There is another room with the same floor to ceiling mirrors, I think will glaze those, that was a great suggestion. Thanks again everyone for the great suggestions!
  • Debbie Tremblay Interior Designer
    11 years ago
    Congrats on the new house! I'm sure it will be beautiful. Can't wait to see the pics, Good luck!
  • Roger Haddad
    9 years ago
    anyone have an idea to cover this mirror as i will be mounting my TV just below and of course it will noy be good idea to see reflection while watching a movie!
  • Pamela McLaughlin
    9 years ago
    we are considering renting an older out dated house. My biggest issue us a REALLY REALLY REALLY big wall of mirrors. We can't take them down. family room biggest wall for art. I wish I had a picture. it's also in the dining room!/it's vway too big to cover with fabric. 15-18 feet. I considered a faux wall. but that's not cheap. my husband wants to rent this. I can't bluve in a house of mirrors and I'm not opening a dance studio!
  • PRO
    Aniko Doman - Mural Artist
    9 years ago
    Pamela, a photo -- even taken with your phone -- would be helpful. You can buy one-piece canvas/linen/burlap/etc. that size to cover it (rosebrand.com), and paint on it--art or patterns or just solid color(s). Since you're renting and probably can't (or don't want to) make permanent modification to the wall, it is a practical solution -- I call those 'portable murals'. (I've made a few... :) That size can also be made of 2, 3 or even more panels (offers more flexibility when buying material by the width), floor to ceiling, attached/mounted or free-hanging.
  • shegossett
    8 years ago

Consider putting wood trim all around the top half and across the middle horizontally, as if it were a window. Use glue on the mirror section and nails for the trim around the mirror.

Then, depending on the look you prefer, apply wallpaper to the bottom part to blend it in with the rest of the room. I plan to do this in the condo I just bought, using 3 dimensional bead-board wallpaper and carrying it around the corner of the dining area to also go under the counter bar looking into the kitchen.

• decoenthusiaste
    8 years ago

DEAD THREAD - 2013

• Anna D'Arco DeLeo
    8 years ago
    I had the same problem. I wanted to take them down. But got an idea to frame them. So happy with the results. These angle of the picture doesn't do it justice. The space is not finished. Just began
  • tomlynn59
    6 years ago

Hi Anna, I have been trying to figure out my wall of mirrors in an oceanfront condo but can't find any type of glue or adhesive that with bond the wood to mirror. What did you use?

• Anna D'Arco DeLeo
    6 years ago
    Tommy I don't know what they used. I messaged my contractor to find out. Let you know. I tried to send you a message but I couldn't. Send me your email. Mine is amdeleo65@gmail.com
  • Debbie Sonis
    6 years ago
    I'd also love to know what kind of glue you used.
  • Anna D'Arco DeLeo
    6 years ago
    Hi, I asked my contractor. He did this a few years ago. He said there are much better adhesives out there now. He said go to Home Depot and they have adhesives or glue specifically to glue wood onto mirrors
  • DH
    6 years ago
    anna, that is just absolutely so beautiful!!!!!!!!!