Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anubhajairam

A. Lord, a knight, and king tut walked into a bar(living room)....

Ninja Betic
8 years ago
Before we had our toddler, we thought we wd use our living room as a gallery of sorts. I expressly did NOT want "formal and unused" seating in there. We collect all sorts of cool looking historical type things. Then, Our daughter came, and my nice David Bromstead inspired family room turned into something carrying Geoffrey the giraffe's (toys r us) discerning touch.

Currently in our living room, we have a throne similar to this (pic below) but ours has Dark wood with darkish gold upholstery with faint black medallions; A suit of silver aged-look tin armor; and a king tut standing sarcophagus (replica).

I want to add a small sofa (or maybe a love-seat) with an end table at each side(?) but not sure what look will go with my motley collection. I want a place I can escape my hectic ka-razy family room to have a regal yet comfy place to sit and read and admire our cool things :) I love the look of nailhead trim and dark brown tufted (swoon!) leather esp like Chesterfields but I want something more comfortable with lower arms. Can you help? Pics of sofas, end tables, and rugs would especially be great. Thank you!!!

Comments (124)

• lynartist
    8 years ago
    Here are the specs on the little sofa from Horchow. I didn't think that was a bad price from them! I liked this one to.
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    Here's an amazing old sofa redone with fabric by Timerous Beasties! It was redone by an upholsterer friend of mine!
  • decoenthusiaste
    8 years ago

Now the suggestions are starting look like my original comment which got a thumbs down! Glad to see lynartist is on the same page with me - vibrant eclectic - just the surroundings those gentlemen and that throne need!

Kim Parker Interiors · More Info

• lynartist
    8 years ago
    Ninjabetic isn't liking my suggestions either Deco:(
  • Ninja Betic
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Oops sorry! Got a little busy. Ok let me respond to the comments piecemeal. (And thanks again!!!)

Lyn I do want something softer in the liv room. I mean I think I do. Don't you just love when clients say that?!

I do love bold colors. My Fam room "wears" a bright Kelly green sofa and a navy/white rug with bright white everything else. My bedroom is black wood painted over w black glossy lacquer and grey tones. I aim to get the walls either faux painted gray stone (castle like) (shocker!) or Sheetrocked. But first the downstairs....
  • Ninja Betic
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Um I like the horchow. I think because I love tufting and nailhead. Today I went to an upscale consignment shop and there was this dark grey number w chestefiled like bones, tweedy fabric, antique looking nailhead, and tufting. Too bad the cushions were demolished. I almost became part of the frame.

As to the white number-- ahmmm. No. I don't prefer my furniture to be on drugs. ESP not LSD ! Tee hee
  • User
    8 years ago

Here are some pics you could choose from to put in family photo frames on a table

• User
    8 years ago

• lynartist
    8 years ago
    Tribal trouble, you just crack me up!!!
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    Damn spell check! Sorry Tribbletrouble!
  • frenchcountrychick
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I am going to pick this couch up as soon as I get the funds. It comes in a variety of leathers as well as other colors in upholstery fabric. Also they will send you swatches free of charge. Fabric Sofa and Landry Leather sofa .

Ninja Betic thanked frenchcountrychick
  • Ninja Betic
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Ted now THAT is humor. :D. Naah the sofa was smelly n staid. Not a good combo. It looked nice but felt really old. Not antique, mind you, just o-L-d!
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    It usually isn't worth reupholstering furniture unless it is very good as the cost is prohibitive. Can't believe you don't like that settee; not going to even tell you how much it is:) now I know I'm probably a lot older than you ladies so I'm surprised you haven't seen this very hip line from England that's all the rage!
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    We have so many wonderful consignment shops were I am; have used them to furnish many clients homes! Because people are always moving in and out of Fla. there are lots of fabulous finds!
    Ninja Betic thanked lynartist
  • User
    8 years ago

You need enough seating for the whole Tribe. ;)

• lynartist
    8 years ago
    Mom, the brown Horchow sofa is 66" I believe, the purple one is 72" ; which is probably a better size to curl up on. How do you feel about that one? It is a rather nice shade.
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    Not Mom !!! This spell check is driving me nuts
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    It's really more of a violet than purple with a warmer tone. I like this color a lot.
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    I also love the bench cushion! This looks comfy !!
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    Ted, the seat on the sofa is one vision not two. Much better considering it is a small sofa and you can get comfortable on it without falling in the middle!
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    Damn, vision!! My phone is possessed!
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    Did it again!! Houzz did an upgrade and my phone is possessed:o Cushion!!!
  • User
    8 years ago

That explains all the Houzztech probs I've had. Is it making you sign in heaps of times a day?

• lynartist
    8 years ago
    It jumps around a lot , flashes on and off! Cuts the posts off in the middle! The pics are bigger so the fourth pic on screen is hidden; you have to scroll to find it:( they also load out of sequence which is so annoying . After you post it shoots right back up to the beginning of the thread so you have to come back down to check your mistakes!!!
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    I do just shut it off Tribbletrouble and check back in just because it's easier. I don't have to but it is so jumpy It makes me nuts! If I want to scroll back to check a post it flashes on and off and ends up who knows we're!
  • User
    8 years ago

I'm on browser, are you on app?

• lynartist
    8 years ago
    Yea, I am on phone app. Like it better than my computer but they keep screwing with it !
  • User
    8 years ago

Sorry, can't help you then. Margo has put out Emily's email on Jan Moyers thread, if that helps, otherwise the Using Houzz threads get her attention.

emily@houzz.com

Ninja Betic thanked User
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    8 years ago

Paris Sofa by Barbara Barry - 822-84 | Baker Furniture · More Info

Ninja Betic thanked karen paul interiors
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    8 years ago

Modern Luxury Demi Wing Chair 92006 | Bolier · More Info

Ninja Betic thanked karen paul interiors
  • Ninja Betic
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Karennn!!!! It's me your long lost Fiend.. i mean Friend! (Lyn, that there was not a spellcheck or autocorrect problem). I do like the Paris sofa, thanks. I think I will hold my phone up to the room to visualize better. I have software but its so sticky to work with.

• Ninja Betic
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Lyn, you need to call Ghostbusters, the movie is out just in time for you.

• Ninja Betic
    Original Author
    8 years ago

the colors are not for this room but drooooll !!!

[https://www.houzz.com/photos/classic-house-in-palm-beach-traditional-living-room-miami-phvw-vp~26025712[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/classic-house-in-palm-beach-traditional-living-room-miami-phvw-vp~26025712) The nailheads on those sofas are on anabolic steroids. I didn't know they made them that big!

• PRO
    karen paul interiors
    8 years ago

When I saw the lead sentence I knew it had to be you. So glad to see you back and working hard. You've been missed...very much! :) I like the sofa also because of the vertical channels rather than the usual tufting and the styling of the arms.

• PRO
    karen paul interiors
    8 years ago

Now we have to call in Cynthia Taylor-Luce!

• PRO
    karen paul interiors
    8 years ago

Paris Loveseat by Thomas Pheasant - 6369-84 | Baker Furniture · More Info

• PRO
    karen paul interiors
    8 years ago

Whitney Sofa - Vanguard Furniture | Luxe Home Philadelphia · More Info

• lynartist
    8 years ago
    Well I shouldn't blame All my spelling mistakes on spellcheck;) I did notify Emily; I need to reboot I guess! Just to busy...
  • Ninja Betic
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Karen fyi I have been plagiarizing this sentence of yours ALL the time since you wrote it in response to my idea to paint the room adjacent to the pur-blue room YELLOW: "running with my hair on fire" It still makes me break into a fit of laughter.

• lynartist
    8 years ago
    Nin, is there a particular style sofa that you prefer. I know Ted posted one you seemed to like. Here are a couple from Pearson. They are a bit masculine though. This is a custom Co so the leather & fabrics can be changed.
  • Ninja Betic
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Lyn I think I need to further refine my intended function of the sofa. 1) relax-- to me that means browse Houzz and get sidetracked with interesting articles like "lose belly fat in 30 seconds, forever!" and also to just listen to some good Vivlaldi and Pachabel and enjoy room and my glass of... water. 2) study, write papers, etc-- that entails using my iPad. I do have a freestanding stand for the iPad BUT I do not like armless things-- chairs, sofas, settees, tadpoles, whatever.

• lynartist
    8 years ago
    Well sometimes it is a good thing to just regroup; take a " chill" and let things just fall were they may!!! Keep us updated and good luck;)
  • Ninja Betic
    Original Author
    8 years ago

OK I will update! thanks all!

*** Lyn can you tell me how you painted the armor btw? what type of paint? did you sand?

• lynartist
    8 years ago
    Actually, I used a combination of metallic paints, decoupage and acrylic paints. I just made sure it was free of dust and any grease. So give it a light clean a go at it!
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    I do believe I did use some oil base high gloss enamel in the black areas if I recall. It was many years ago! And as I said before, this was done rather tongue in cheek! There is ribbon and silk flowers attached; even Swarovski crystals. This was not meant to be authentic by any means!
  • Ninja Betic
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Decoupage! Brilliant!! So how did you apply it? Can you just put down paper on top of the aluminum and then clear PU on top?

• lynartist
    8 years ago
    I always prime anything before I paint just to be safe. A good oil base primer will do. Then mod podge to decoupage; an acrylic poly on top is fine.
  • PRO
    The Long Gallery
    8 years ago

You should be shopping at Design Tuscano, or Ballard Designs (Google them online) - you'll find plenty of furniture and accent pieces that will fit the bill. Frankly, I love the idea that you want to indulge your fantasies and go "over the top" in at least one room of your house. Or two. You should have fun with it, and offer something unique that friends and family can always remember. As additional inspiration, pick up some old copies of English "Country Life" magazine and see how some of those old country houses are decorated, many with arms and armor, tapestries, loads of old books and portraits - all the kinds of things that make for curiosity and great conversation. In an approach like this, be advised, there are no "half-measures." Good Luck.

Ninja Betic thanked The Long Gallery
  • Ninja Betic
    Original Author
    8 years ago

update-- found this loveseat selling second hand-- seems to be appropriate for the spcae- -BUT do you think the 75" length is ok?

http://www.cityfurniture.com/rh-regal-dark-tone-leather-loveseat.html

• lynartist
    8 years ago
    Hmmm, well it certainly has personality! It's. Two seater if that's ok with you.