Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheeks9998

Don't know where to put any furniture! Awkward space!

cheeks9998
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Me and my family are considering moving to this condo. The living room area is not as big so we will be limited on space. The space is very awkward so I really don't know where to place the couch and TV to maximize the area. I don't have measurements because it is currently occupied by tenants preparing to move out. I need to have a living space, dining space and an area for my 1 year old to play while I cook in the kitchen. The attached pictures are the space empty and the space currently occupied by current tenant. Please help! We need to see if this place will work for us. thanks so much!

Comments (9)

• cheeks9998
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Have Fun! Sorry the pictures can't be a lot more detail. The tile area is the entry way. The door is to the left of the tile area. I haven't thought about a banquette. Where would you place that? It's going to be me, my husband, 1 year old daughter and baby on the way. Thank you so much for your help!

• suezbell
    8 years ago

If you're limited to one place for the tv, that could limit your furniture placement options.

One thing that might help you answer your own questions would be for you to invest in a pad of graph paper and draw, to scale, the size and shape of the space, including indicating all windows and doors. Then use card stock to cut (also to scale) the size/shape of all your furniture/furnishings and see what fits where.

With this size room, I'd not even try to use the bar as a bar w/bar stools. Instead, I'd invest in some shelving boards and create a long bookcase, preferably with doors, preferably including some glass doors -- a unit that can be affixed with screws to the back of the bar and used as a china cabinet / curio cabinet -- and something you can take with you when you move.

You might consider building a similar shelving unit (about a foot wide) and set it atop the edge of the tile near the door to divide the entry from the living area.

The area between the entry tile and the kitchen would need to be for your dining table. If your household is four or less people, choose a small drop leaf table (that can take up less space when not in use) and with comfortable desk chairs (that could be used for guest seating -- not just for dining -- as needed). I've seen tables (relatively inexpensive ones) similar to these at K Mart and Big Lots.

http://oakonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/IMG_7852-21.jpg

I'd set or hang the tv in the same corner as it is shown in the fourth pic but moved to the left so it is turned at an angle -- more in the corner, more facing most of the entire great room -- living, dining and kitchen areas. You could add a corner shelf above and behind it.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Ci0uNnqayKc/VRRjd5bf5RI/AAAAAAAABfw/JOa4DZLlOP8/s1600/modern-design-for-wall-mounted-corner-shelves.jpg

http://cdn.decoist.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Elegant-floating-walnut-shelves-perfect-for-every-room.jpg

http://nico.naijarita.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Corner-Shelving-Unit-Wall.jpg

You could also use modern wall shelves as art to store those candle holders, candy dishes, prettiest vases, etc., when not in use for their intended purpose. Such shelves can be left with a wood finish or painted any color or color combination that suits you and sized and arranged to fit your space.

http://chatodining.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/picture-of-modern-hanging-shelving-design-feat-empty-framed-display-ideas-also-potted-indoor-plant.jpg

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=57233479

You'll probably want to do any painting before you move in. If you're not going to add a shelving unit behind the peninsula, then do either cover it with paneling w/similar wood finish to that of the kitchen cabinets or at least paint it a darker color than it is -- a tan (without any pink or yellow hue) about the same shade (dark/light) as the cabinets.

For this sized room, and if your household will have less than four people, and, if you don't already have your furnishings, I'd choose a recliner for each member of your household (no sofa). Do consider and consider lamp/table combo in lieu of larger end tables with lamps.

http://devi.cathercist.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/traditional-floor-lamp-with-attached-table-uk.jpg

A good storage ottoman with a top that flips to create a mock coffee table as needed can also serve the third purpose of storage. It will be a better investment than a coffee table that will end up being a knee knocker in this small space.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51t6BiSEZQL.SX450.jpg

cheeks9998 thanked suezbell
  • sheilaskb
    8 years ago

I would suggest you put a child's table in the end of the kitchen that has the tile floor and also add a small cabinet to hold a few toys to occupy your child while you cook. You might rotate the toys occasionally so that everything will be new and interesting to your child with each rotation. Then, I would suggest you place the dining room furniture under the chandelier and use the intervening counter space as a buffet/serving area between the dining room and kitchen. The living room with the smaller chandelier looks like an adequate space, so I would suggest you place a sofa against the long wall that faces the kitchen/dining area. Then, place an end table in the corner and a chair or love seat on the opposite side of the end table, creating an L-shape. Perhaps one small TV in the kitchen area and a larger TV in the living room would enable you to watch TV at the different times you are using each room. There is quite a long, solid wall across from the dining room chandelier, and you might put the large TV on a credenza or in an armoire on this wall. Whenever you are not using the TV, you can close the doors of the armoire.

Also, could you possibly shorten the tiled entryway by three squares and fill in with matching wood flooring so that you could expand the living room area? Perhaps you even could replace all the entryway tile with a matching wood floor and then put down a slip-proof rug just inside the door.

I do not know what restrictions the condominium has on room changes, but in time you might be able to put a one-wall kitchen along the wall where the stove is but have everything between the hidden columns that mark the boundary of the living room and the current kitchen. Then, the current living room could become a larger foyer, the large open space could be the living room, and the current kitchen could be the dining room. This would make the foyer, living room, and dining room in a U-shape around the one-wall kitchen. I am not sure if I am explaining this very well, but I believe this arrangement would make the entire space look less chopped up.

cheeks9998 thanked sheilaskb
  • cheeks9998
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Sheilaskb! Thank you so much for your input. I hadn't thought about putting the tv on the opposite wall. I would have to consider that! Thanks again!

• Irene Morresey
    8 years ago
    Could you place couch with back just out from the breakfast bar, dining table on wall to right of door, leave tv where it is. Make a little area near the tv for play area with perhaps an ottoman with storage or a chest with cushioning, either for extra seating and place to store toys. If not enough room for dining table pull couch further away from breakfast bar and put dining table there. Hard to know without measurements
    cheeks9998 thanked Irene Morresey
  • cheeks9998
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hi again Sheilaskb! No we cannot do any renovations because we are renting.

Hi Blenheimnewzealand! I thought about your same suggestions but didn't want my daughter's play area to be near the door or window. I had wanted the setup to be when you walk in there is a designated spot for everything where it's still open floorplan and not everything cornered off. I hope I'm explaining it properly as to not confuse anyone. I just wished the door was at a different wall. That would help with everything so greatly.
  • cheeks9998
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Suezbell! I also looked into a drop leaf table to save space for dining area. Thank you so much for your other suggestions as well!!! Much appreciated!

• havingfun
    8 years ago

here are some photos of other banquettes. the bench can be accomplished by using ikea storage cubes and i am sure there are other benches too. you get the fold down table, so all can be stored out of the way, you run the bench under the counter and on the wall, one chair and then a high chair? ought to see you for a while.

Palm Island Plantation Town Home Model · More Info
    even if you do not get the fold down table, you still can place the table over the benches to allow more room.

From what i can tell of the pics, i do not see another spot for the tv right now. But i would say, the best play spot, for the majority of the time would be on the tile just outside the kitchen area, a nice roll up rug a couple storage shelves i would use child gating on all the open areas and you should have a very safe area for the children.