Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diane_yanez

How wide this kitchen?

Diane Yanez
8 years ago
We have an L-shaped kitchen that is 16' x 10.5' (with 2' cabinetry on one wall) We'd like to have an island and are wondering if we have enough room.
Thank you!
Mukilteo, WA Kitchen · More Info

Comments (2)

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago

Thank you for your question, Diane! This kitchen is 12' wide. The island is 21" wide, and the cabinets on the refrigerator wall are 21" deep, instead of the standard 24". The refrigerator is a counter-depth as well, and that made a huge difference in giving us much needed space in the kitchen walk-ways. My suggestion for you is to keep 24" deep cabinets where there are appliances, and where you "work" in the kitchen, and then maybe having more shallow cabinetry in other areas. I wouldn't go much smaller than 21" wide for the island and I would try to keep the walk-ways at 36" minimum width. Best of luck to you with your kitchen design!

• msmaggie38654
    3 years ago

I love that color on the Island. What paint color is that? I like the real butcher block top. All I see are glued inline boards rather than end grain butcher block. Was that custom? I'm enjoying seeing a scaled down island as I also have a small kitchen and need extra counter top so I'm thinking island but I don't want to overwhelm the kitchen.