Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pologuy

Landscape Design Question

pologuy
8 years ago
I recently had a patio, fireplace, fire pit and pizza oven installed. I had a local landscape design firm come out to give me a quote. I liked what they suggested. should I have 2 other firms come to give me a quote? They didn't leave me with drawings to compare. Is this common? How do I make an informed decision with no plans? Is there a standard price for plans? I don't see me spending $50,000 simply by meeting one firm and no plans.

ANY SUGGESTIONS???????

Comments (29)

• pologuy
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    thanks for the reply. my brother told me they won't give you a copy of the drawings to compare against another firm. I find that disturbing. I'm supposed to pay 50,000 to the first company without plans
  • PLF (Middle TN, Zone 7a)
    8 years ago

I don't know if this relates, but we paid a local nursery once to design an entire plan for our yard. They charged us $65 for the plan their designer drew by hand. They knew we wanted to do the work ourselves but just needed a plan. Another time we had a landscape company come out, walk around the yard, then discussed with us our wants. He went back to his office, came up with a simple computerized plan (not like the drawing we paid the nursery), along with how much it would cost. Emailed it to us. It didn't cost us anything for this simple estimate. We ended up not liking his plan, or his price. So, I'm not sure why they wouldn't just give you at least a simple plan with estimate for you to compare with other companies. Especially if you are spending that much!

• emmarene9
    8 years ago

Get at least three quotes. Check on the state contractor's site to see if their license is up to date. Ask to see some examples of their work in person. Once you decide who to go with, get it in writing. The lowest bid is not always the best.

• btydrvn
    8 years ago
    There are many good reasons not to give you the plan the main one being it is their plan until you decide to use it...secondly many people take advantage of this process to get ideas and plans when they never intend to follow through..this I why I suggest you have other people suggest their plan...this is an excellent opportunity for you also ...to get more views and find someone who really understands what you need and want...why would they create the plan simply for you to go to someone else with their work and have them undercut the price to get the job...in which case you then may end up with someone who is unscrupulous and could end up costing you more than the original estimate...if you like the plan perhaps you should ask them for more information to justify their cost for your comfort...or to look for things that could be modified to lower the cost...
  • btydrvn
    8 years ago
    Lastly never pay full price in advance...this gives you no bargaining power ...and I can't believe they require a commitment with out showing you plans...keep pushing forward but remember diplomacy goes farther than indignation and will bear fruit as the job progresses...
  • pologuy
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    should I ask for it and tell them I want to get two other design suggestions? I'm not trying to offend anyone. the cynderblocks are is a wood pizza oven
  • pologuy
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    another note I LOVED, LOVED the original person who came to my house. she actually drew the plans. then came time to meet and the next guy didn't know what going on. I got the feeling he was asked to meet with me to keep me entertained until the next guy came. I believe in punctuality. for 50,000 I would've been there early.
  • PLF (Middle TN, Zone 7a)
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Since you love the original person's plans, call her back and take ritaj's advice above. Oh, and by the way, it looks really great so far!

• shirlpp
    8 years ago

Plans cost money and time. If you'd like a plan from them, they would probably charge you for it. When you call the next person, maybe you can have an idea on paper and use this to discuss what you'd like to do.

• shirlpp
    8 years ago

Also...Please do not tell another firm that you want to use their plans for comparison.

• emmarene9
    8 years ago

I would just remember roughly what the first design consisted of. Can you tell us what it consisted of? Are you getting sprinklers installed? Are you getting a gazebo? Will there be additional hardscape? It is reasonable that they do not leave you with the drawing, but you could have taken notes. Do that next time.

• pologuy
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    no sprinkler. the front they would remove the overgrown shrubs. plant 5 green mountain boxwoods. some hydrangeas and I don't remember much more
  • btydrvn
    8 years ago
    Being honest and open is always best...real professionals are aware of the fact that everyone wants to shop around...but you shouldn't expect them to provide their plan to assist you in shopping around..and also trying to do this shortchanges you....as you miss the opportunity for new input...
    As to the late factor with one contractor these are the things that add up in your dealing with people you are consider hiring...keep it in mind...watch for other indicators...and add these things to the mix as you select the person right for you...and for your peace of mind don't let these things distract you from your goal of finding the right combination of design..confidence in them and of course price
  • PRO
    Roanoke Landscapes
    8 years ago

As far as how we do business with a job like this we always draw up the plans and go over them thoroughly even with a walk through and leave a copy of the plans with you. The same guys that come to meet with you and bring the plans back after we have them done are also the same guys that are doing the project themselves. We keep it very personal. From a professional stand point we always pretty much know that people are going to shop around. Some know of our work and how we are with out clients and thus choose not to shop around. I would be hesitant in going with a company that is not confident enough to put their work up against someone else's. If money is just the bottom line I would encourage you to as for some referrals or places you can go by and look at. A lot of our clients will give referrals by phone and email and also personally show prospective clients their project. Some of them even do video testimonials for us. Which speaks volumes for the way we do business. 50,000 is a lot of money, get a couple more proposals and ask for the plans to look at. I would not show them to the other professionals just keep them and decide which company best fits your needs and vision. However, my best advice is to ask for referrals of their work, several options of projects similar to yours. This will give you the best idea about the company.

• pologuy
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I'll email them for a copy of the plan. hopefully it goes well. I can't believe I'm so cautious/apprehensive about asking for plans, lol. I'm spending a lot of money. they should be going out of there way to gain my business.
  • PRO
    RugKnots | Area Rugs
    8 years ago

They will not just give you a free copy of their plans.Their plans are their intellectual property and if they just give them to you, they know that you will simply take the plans, and try to do it yourself or go to another firm to try and get them to do it cheaper. Plans are very similar to a piece of art. The designer takes a lot time and artistic talent to design plans based on geographic features, climate, and style of their client and their clients home. There is a lot of creativity involved so you have to understand why they would not want someone to rip off their artwork. Similar to a piece of art or song being ripped off. Because plans are very time consuming and difficult, plans in their final state are not usually drawn until at least a down payment is received. If you are very nervous ask if you can see a rough copy of plans at their office to rest your fears. You are right in being apprehensive as $50,000 is a lot of money but you have to understand the firm's fears with giving away plans as well.

• PRO
    Roanoke Landscapes
    8 years ago

Pologuy, when they aren't offered it just makes it uncomfortable because I think it is a given that they should be presented to the client with such an obviously big project. I handle all of the social media and irrigation here actually, but I am quite impressed with how the owner and our head horticulturist handle themselves. We aren't as big as some of the other landscapers and that is because we do not want to be. We make it personal and are with you every step of the way. I think emailing them and asking them for the plan is an excellent idea. If they still tell you no, I, personally, would get proposals from other companies and when initially speaking to them tell them you want a plan you can look over. Your wants may be the same for all of them but their visions will be different and one of them may come up with something you didn't think of and you should be able to have those and compare to and pick the best company that has given you the vision that you desire. If you were in our area I would send out Mark, he is brilliant! Good luck!

• emmarene9
    8 years ago

Pologuy, that quote seems high to me if that is all you are getting.

• User
    8 years ago

If you want just the plans, ask them what the design fee is separate from the execution of the plans. When you want the plans without paying for them, you are asking them to give their work to you for free. Plans are NOT free, nor would they ever be yours until a fee is paid.

Many good design firms would NEVER separate out the design from the execution, as the two are intertwined. Some low rent hack isn't going to give you the same quality of work, and they know that. Which is why they want to control the implementation of their intellectual property.

A project like this is NOT about who can do the cheapest work. Anyone can out cheap any quote. They cannot duplicate the same quality results for the cheap price though. Don't think you're getting ''the same'' results for less. Something has to give. Licensed? Insured? Fully documented workers? Just the costs of a legitimate business vs a fly by night one can easily be 10K of a 50K quote.

• pologuy
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I've seen the initial hand drawn colored plan. I like it but wonder if other colors can be added. I'm not trying to low ball anyone. I believe in fair play. it's hard to gauge what you really want in a one hour meeting. my wife and I would like to have the plan while we are looking at other designs on Houzz. we could then say,"can we get some of these over here"
  • pologuy
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    the price includes a coi pond on another section of the property, around my mailbox, streetscape, around another object in the yard to hide it, the front of the house, around the patio area and fire pit and another area on the property. I'm not complaining about the price. the price will work itself out by getting two more quotes. if they are all relatively in the same range, I'll go with best feel.
  • PRO
    RugKnots | Area Rugs
    8 years ago

You can most definitely give your input to the designer. If you want to see what some more colors, ask them to add some color to the hand drawn design. This experience will never be like going from dealer to dealer with car specs and quotes, unfortunately. That is why much of the design industry relies on referrals and reviews. There is a lot of trust put into designers because you simply cannot get the plans before you pay the designer. Even then, some designers do not give them out for fear they will be posted on the internet. This is common is other industries as well. College professors are now confiscating recording devices. When their lectures end up online, it is stealing their livelihood. I do not think you are trying to lowball anyone. It is a very common misconception that plans should be revealed before payment. Interior designers, architects, decorators, and even wedding planners face this type of thing.

• User
    8 years ago

Pay the guy a retainer, and I'm sure that he can work with you to tweak the design for you. Have a second meeting with him to clarify your wants and needs, as usually, the other quotes will NOT be apples to apples.

Or, find and hire a LA to create the plans for you, and then shop those around if you want a true apples to apples quote. Separate the design from the implementation. How you pick a LA is the same way that you'd pick a design build firm. You verify their bona fides, and their past work to see if you like it. Then you pay them a retainer to create a design specific to your land.

This isn't HGTV. Real world designers don't give you free designs to butt against each other in a competition. They get paid for their work. Or they don't eat.

• pologuy
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I asked for them. we'll see how it goes. we love boxwoods, hydrangeas and other low maintenance plantings. we want perennials. once and done. we like bright colors. love fragrances.
  • pologuy
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I agree, no one works for free. I'm glad this site exist to clarify things for those unaware of the process. not knowing I initially thought they would give me a breakdown of the items and cost, which they did, as well as a plan.
  • btydrvn
    8 years ago
    Polo..one of the things you mentioned hit the nail on the head for me...in reference to seeing things on Houzz....this is an excellent way to portray and discuss what you like..a good contractor can take your likes and adapt them or explain why they won't work in your situation...as a means of communication .....words are far inferior to pictures....try starting an ideabook with every garden photo you like and show this to everyone before they go to all the work of making a plan...
  • btydrvn
    8 years ago
    Before you rule out annuals...and if you love color they are th perfect way to inject lots of color in the summer when you are outdoors the most...perennials bloom and color is usually for a short period...we installed some beautiful big pots near and in view of seating areas and stuff them with flowering annuals in spring...choosing types that don't need deadheading or too much care...you have tons of color all summer long some trailing annuals will cover the entire pot with blooms with only a drip in each pot for watering...
  • shirlpp
    8 years ago

Cha-Ching....It's the Koi Pond that is expensive.