Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meganmcdougal

Comparing Room and Board, Vanguard, Arhaus and Flexteel

Megan Binsfeld
8 years ago

I'm at the end of our new construction, and of course we are now trying to tighten the purse strings on furniture. I've gotten a quote for a Vanguard sectional with matching chairs from my designer, which is the highest priced sectional of all four of these choices. However, my designer thinks that they are the best quality compared to the other brands. I really love the look of Room and Board furniture, but am concerned that the interiors are not solid wood, but rather veneer (which also has formaldehyde). Arhaus is kind of in the middle price point of Room and Board and Vanguard, but the wait is something like 12 weeks, and would love to have our living room done when we move in! However, they seem to have very high quality furniture for a good price, and are very eco-friendly which I like. Flexteel - haven't gotten the quote back yet, but I hear they are good quality and good price. I have four small kids and this furniture will get a ton of use - and maybe some spillage too, which conflicts me on getting something that will withstand four kids but yet not cost too much to replace if they destroy it with stains. would appreciate some help!

Comments (6)

• PRO
    Elite Interiors & Furniture Gallery
    8 years ago

Vanguard is excellent upholstery & therefore the costly price sticker. It will probably take 8 to 12 weeks for production. Many people do not recommend Flexsteel & their quality may have gone down but I had Flexsteel upholstery for many years. Had to get rid of one recliner due to cat scratching it & it would have been too costly to re-upholster but I wish I had went ahead & reupholstered it. The other recliner was too big for the space I was moving to so sold it. The sofa I moved & had for many years; the fabric finally wore out. Room & Board I am not sure of but have heard their products are lower end. Also not sure of Arhaus.

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    8 years ago

We have a Flexsteel sectional in our basement (not reclining) -- it looks great but it does not get daily use.

Our sofas upstairs are Flexsteel - 7 years old. They are not perfect but I would say they have held up reasonably well. I hope to get 4 more years out of them.

• PRO
    Elite Interiors & Furniture Gallery
    8 years ago

Rather than ultrasuede I would look in to a new fabric, Crypton. They have a website & there are many upholstery manufacturers that are carrying their fabrics.

• lascatx
    7 years ago

I bought a sofa and sectional from Arhaus -- both in custom fabrics when they had a sale where they were offered for the same price or $100 more than the stock choices. I am very happy with them -- very solidly built and well upholstered. I'm not sure about all the chairs, but I was told that all the sofas and sectionals are built by two different companies in NC. The sectional has 8 way hand tied support, down wrapped cushions and all the nice details.

We have a Flexsteel sofa with power recliners in our gameroom -- we bought it at a clearance center (DH and I can't remember, but I'm thinking the price was around $800 -- it had been scraped on delivery and someone tried to touch up the finish -- badly. I was able to remove a lot of the excess color and blend it in where no one notices it now). It was a great find for our teen boys to enjoy while watching TV, gaming and such, but it is nowhere near the same caliber as what we bought from Arhaus.

I can't help you with the other two.

• zmith
    7 years ago

R&B furniture looks nice but for what they charge for their pieces, you'd think you're getting a higher quality item. They do not offer one single sofa style with a hardwood frame. They are all glued and stapled plywood frames with either webbing or steel "S" springs. They do have nice upholstery options and some of the leather is downright sumptuous.