Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ironchef519

Replacing center-drain kitchen sink with an offset-drain sink

Donna G
8 years ago

When we replace kitchen base cabinets, I'd like to shift our sink to the left. I'd also like to replace it with an offset-drain sink in the right rear corner of the sink. By placing the offset drain in line with the existing plumbing, the new sink would end up to the left of the old one. The drain pipes under the sink would need to be moved to line up with the new drain, which would be further back towards the wall. Would this approach to minor sink relocation save on plumbing costs, as compared to moving the sink without changing to an offset drain?

Comments (9)

• Vith
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

You don't need to modify the sink location to change where the drain is. It is not that difficult to modify the drain, it could be as simple as cutting above and below the fitting in the wall, using a couple fernco couplings and turning the fitting to face towards the sink drain.

• Donna G
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, Vith. The goal is to gain counter space to one side of the existing sink cabinet, and I thought we might gain enough by shifting the sink cabinet as far to one side as the existing plumbing (inflows) allows. We may end up moving plumbing anyway, but we're on a tight budget so I was looking at less costly options. But if I understand correctly, you're saying the drain could still be in the center of the sink; is that right? I like the fact that an offset drain allows you to empty the strainer without removing, say, a large baking sheet from the sink, so I may opt for the offset drain anyway. I thought it might also simplify the under-sink plumbing as well.

• weedmeister
    8 years ago

I'm guessing no GD?

• Donna G
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    What's a GD?
  • Vith
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Garbage disposal. Better off not having one anyhow. Most plumbers would agree, especially after thanksgiving LOL. I guess it helps them get business though. :) Trash can works better than shoving food down your drain.

• Donna G
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks, Vith, yes, we are intentionally skipping the GD--to spare the plumbing and the environment!
  • Kari Nielsen
    4 years ago

I have this same issue and need help deciding on if I should go with a center drain (and Garbage disposal) or a right drain (and garbage disposal). Right now the waste line is at the left. Here is a photo of what our plumbing looks like and I question why it was set this way but am told it’s not an issue and they can easily install a center hole sink or off set to right. I’m concerned that the 10” deep bowl will interfere with the angle stops and/electrical....any thoughts?

• Kari Nielsen
    4 years ago

Thank you Joseph! Wish we had a good GC, it’s been a year long “repair” to a kitchen that was gutted do to a water leak. Living with my mom who is 89. It has been one stress after another - subs have been terrible and GC got fired from the company, now owner is returning from retirement to wrap up all issues with us and other clients. CA contractors are all busy....Drywall had to be completely redone, and windows ordered wrong. I have had to be more involved than I wanted to be due to all the errors. This has been a great forum and appreciate all the help and advice. Now just looking for a (Franke) sink for a 33” cab that’s not $1,500 but still decent....