Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlvhawk3

Kitchen Remodel Ideas

jlvhawk3
8 years ago

We are currently living in a small house with a kitchen that just doesn't work too well, and we are interested in exploring what we could do with a remodel. I'll start out with a drawing I made up of the space and a little explanation.

The pantry area is currently an awkward to use, reach -in space that is elevated due to the stairs to the basement underneath. There is a decent amount of storage space in it, but not very usable since it's hard to get at. We would love to be able to not have the fridge at the top of the steps cramping that space. The slightly shallower counter/cabinets on the right are actually a desk area with just one wide shallow drawer. The right side of the kitchen, near the sliding door, was used as dining room by previous owners, but is just too cramped for us. We have a buffet table on that far right wall and really like the extra counter and cabinet space. There is currently no dishwasher in the space, and while we have considered putting one in on the peninsula portion, we are afraid of the storage space we lose by doing that.

In general, we are looking at 2 main options:

1. Reconfigure kitchen layout within the current space
  2. Remove the wall (part of? it is load bearing) between the kitchen and living/dining space and adding an island, etc.

In either case, we are open to adding/moving around of the window/door.

We aren't the most creative people, so we thought we would see what ideas we can gather from others. We would love to hear any suggestions or ideas from others here on how we could make this space more usable.

Comments (5)

• sheloveslayouts
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I love small homes and their challenges. My first instinct is to swap the kitchen and the dining area so traffic to the backyard and stairs doesn't cut through your workspace. Maybe like this. I was thinking backing the sink cabinets with shallow cabinets for more storage and then abutting a table to those cabinets.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago

A quick and easy rearrangement, but might not meet your needs--you could switch the range with the cabinet beside it, and have a pass-through on each side:

shanghaimom's pass-through:

• PRO
    Design Loft Bracebridge
    8 years ago

Not sure how easily you can re-situate things. Can you lengthen the deck?

In the picture below, I've moved the patio door over to about where the window was (probably a little further) and moved the window over to where the patio door was.

If you are able to open up the wall but it is a load bearing wall, you could open it up, shorten it to a knee wall so that you still have wall space to place the couch against, but see into the living room and also have an area for a table without crowding the stairway. You could drop a post at the knee wall somewhere which would allow a beam to be put across the opening. If it is a load bearing wall there should also be support in the basement(?). Having a post for the beam to rest on would keep the beam from being too bulky and keep the head space higher. You could also move the desk over to where the fridge was and open up the pantry from the kitchen side. It's hard to say without knowing certain information though.

• cpartist
    8 years ago

I took Mama's plan and tried it in a different direction.

First I rearranged your living room/dining room furniture so it works better. Furniture should almost never line up against the walls. This way now you can have a direct view of the tv and people can sit and listen as the pianist plays.

This gave more room for your dining table, without having to walk around your living room to have food.

I opened up the pass through a bit more. It would require a small header at the top I think but mostly you're still keeping the support wall.

I switched the sink to the passthrough wall, and added a counter height breakfast bar. This will allow you to look out the window while having a meal or snack. You'll have room for your dishes on the side with the sink and DW and then the fridge and stove are on either side of the window.

Between sink and old pantry you have upper cabinets and drawers and on the side of the dishwasher you can have just drawers or an upper cabinet too. Between the fridge and stove is drawers and to the right of the stove is narrow drawers.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago

So I went and spent some more of your money, ;) and came up with an island, which you'd mentioned:

In this plan the DW is out of the prep zone, and can be loaded or unloaded to drawers in the island, without interfering with prep and cooking. The range is in a protected area, but close to fridge--you just need to make sure that the vent won't blast anyone on the deck.

Fridge and MW are easily accessed by anyone coming from the hall and LR. There is a traffic path from back door and basement, which does not interfere with cooking. The current pantry is easier to access, and there is a new, shallower pantry, turned 90° for easy access. Oh, and I enlarged the deck, and gave you some flowers. ;)

GW discussions--dishes in drawers

You might also consider a corner range, which would give you more prep space, but would limit upper cabinets on the fridge wall:

I drew the last two plans on a graph, so it looks as if you have room for three seats on the island, and 48" of prep space in either plan. There would be more storage without the corner range. (But I think that would look really nice!)