Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debutl

Would you keep these doors?

Debbie
8 years ago

We are remodeling our kitchen and my husband built the cabinets. He came home last night with the upper cabinet doors. He put a frickin' arch on them. I cried when I saw them. I feel bad because h

e has worked so hard on our kitchen. I never thought about discussing the door design. I assumed he was going to do straight lines like the lower cabinet doors. So, if this was your forever dream kitchen, would you keep these doors? (Please don't comment on the maple. That's a different discussion.)

Comments (384)

• abbyjean
    7 years ago

Your hubby! He must have been working on this surprise for a long time! Look at all the time he put in to those....again. And I am not even going to mention the money, but hoping there is a plan for the....other....doors. I think you went through your adjustment phase and MADE yourself like the ones he made for you and you lived with them and just knew you loved the new kitchen....I do, too! But this surprise.....I think you have to just look at these doors through the eyes of love and only tell him wonderful good charming things. And you know you WILL love these, too. You maybe already have started to. They honestly are wonderful! He is full of surprises and a total keeper. Wine and beer for everyone now!

• indomom
    7 years ago

When you count your blessings, count him twice!!

Debbie thanked indomom
  • Bruce Crawford
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Debbie, Habitat ReStore will love the brand new arched doors, if that's what you choose to do w/ them! When I zoomed in on top pic, the edges on raised panels on new doors played off your subway tile backsplash. Latter's not beveled but your grout's not flush, so it gives a bit of the effect of beveled.

• mamabear2014
    7 years ago

Debbie, these doors are so nice! I loved the arches, but I love these more!! You have an awesome hubby. You better keep him...LOL! Abby, I love your comment!

Debbie thanked mamabear2014
  • tgb1
    7 years ago

Wow Debbie - he's a keeper...

The new doors are beautiful, as are the old....

Debbie thanked tgb1
  • Debbie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

You're all correct. I need to wait and decide after he has all the "new" doors installed. I have gotten used to the arches. The "new" doors do look good in the pic and go well with backsplash. I love my man and my new kitchen, in that order!

• abbyjean
    7 years ago

That's our girl!!!

• haus5
    7 years ago
    You lucky girl ;-) ! What a couple, what a mann! I'm a straight edge kind of girl myself and I love the new character of the kitchen...modern with a soft elegance....I'd op for new ones :-) I hope he will resell the old ones, it shouldn't be hard. All the best Debbie, this has been such a nice page to follow from the people and the craftsmanship side.
    Debbie thanked haus5
  • Debbie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I came home from work to this... :-)

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

I think that makes a Hugh difference in your space! Wow so glad after all this time has passed he has made the new doors for your kitchen and they are beautiful and now have a clean more modern updated look:))

Debbie thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Debbie - you are one lucky woman! Gorgeous! The man has talent and knows how to be the most amazing man, next to my husband of course! Great look and the whole space is now as you dreamed it. Merry Christmas!!

Debbie thanked Flo Mangan
  • Debbie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I wanted to dislike the new doors, but I can't. They are what I wanted. I am very thankful for the many blessings I have received lately. Thank you all so much for your kind words and support. And, a big thank you to Mary Mariano, who designed the layout of our new kitchen. We couldn't have done it without her. She delivered the design a year ago yesterday! The hubs is going to work on finishing the kitchen during the next few weeks since it's his slow time. Merry Christmas!

• abbyjean
    7 years ago

Merry Christmas to you and your precious family!!!I would love to see shots of the whole room again.....love your home!!! I think the window area is so pretty with all the plants and your new things.....wow! I love kitchens and this is just a favorite....as are you!!!

• Debbie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'll post some whole room pictures once it's done. Mary, the designer, wants some pictures. I promised I would send some good ones to her for her portfolio.

• abbyjean
    7 years ago

Your home will make an awesome addition to her portfolio. You need to have an open house! I will come!

• Debbie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

And, Miss Abbyjean, you are one of my favorite people, too! You helped me get through some rough spots.

• abbyjean
    7 years ago

That's what friends are for!!!

• Debbie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

My house is open to you anytime!

• abbyjean
    7 years ago

I just wanna sit in that living room with a fire going and then wander out to the kitchen to refill my wine....and just gab away!!! Help Lauren with homework maybe. Talk sports with hubby. Ahhhh...........some day!

• Debbie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm ready for you. Mel can build a mean fire.

• abbyjean
    7 years ago

Thanks for sharing that pic! Love the tree and it is perfect right there!!!

• Tina
    7 years ago
    The new doors are very nice, more timeless than the arch.
  • Debbie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Cherish your family, cherish your friendships. I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas!

• haus5
    7 years ago
    A Merry Christmas to you all!
  • channel5
    7 years ago
    Daulin' when life gives you lemons...... make Limoncello , I wish my husband new how to use a broom.....luv em.
  • Depo
    7 years ago

Debbie, I haven't seen your dilemma in a while. As I was catching up, my mouth literally dropped open and I got teary-eyed when I saw the new doors! They really are beautiful! Mel is such a sweet loving man for surprising you like that! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Debbie thanked Depo
  • Debbie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I don't even know what to say. I love Mel so much. My life is complete with him.

• Debbie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

It has been only 15 months since we started designing the kitchen. The last cabinet was installed today. We're on the home stretch. (I need to make a wine run!)

• abbyjean
    7 years ago

15 months. WOW! Soooo much to show for that time. And yes, Girlfriend, that wine rack needs to be full.....minus one bottle! Enjoy and a big toast to all of you!!!

• abb_ann
    7 years ago
    I dislike the curve but seriously, kiss and hug that hubby and make him some ☕️!
  • haus5
    7 years ago
    So so nice! and yes fill the wine rack ;-) and enjoy!
  • Bruce Crawford
    7 years ago

Debbie, terrific! The chamfered corners on your cabinets are really first class. If you'd bought custom cabinets, that feature would have really increased the cost. BTW, our K reno took almost two years so we could spread out costs.

Debbie thanked Bruce Crawford
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Hug to hubby, who did an amazing job. Top drawer. Hope you had a fabulous, loving holiday season! We are still celebrating! All family here to celebrate holidays and for son and hubby to run in the Houston Half Marathon. Good news! They both finished before their personal predictions! So proud! 15 people for 5 days has crimped my Houzz style, but trying to get a few thoughts into the hopper!

Debbie thanked Flo Mangan
  • Joy
    7 years ago
    So beautiful, Debbie. Lovely, lovely heart of the home.
  • nmp19
    7 years ago
    I have been married 49 years. I was sixteen and he was eighteen. And NOT ONCE has my husband ever built me anything. He uses a screwdriver to prop open a window. So I joined the Handyman's Club of America. I can do most home repairs. I even tuck pointed my brick porch and repaired our cement driveway. I do all the interior and exterior painting. I laid my kitchen floor and retiled my counter top. Woman, count your blessings every day.

Your story was a joy to read. I guess it all works out when you are in love.
  • Patty Hash
    7 years ago
    I've read every single comment. I loved it. Your kitchen is absolutely beautiful. Your husband must love you very much. Thanks for sharing.
  • abbyjean
    7 years ago

This really is a love story, isn't it!!! Hoping you had a wonderful Valentine's Day!!!

• Debbie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I lost my dad on March 8th. So much of the kitchen reno was done to accommodate him. I hope to post final pics of the kitchen in the next few weeks.

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Debbie-OP-daughter: I am saying 'sorry' to hear how you have lost a very special person [in your life, as my father was in mine].

• tgb1
    7 years ago

Sorry for your loss Debbie....

• Depo
    7 years ago
    I am so sorry for your loss, Debbie. My thoughts are with you. ((Hugs))
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Debbie, you worked a labor of love and I'm sure it was appreciated. Hope your grief turns to the joy of his life and the joy in knowing you are a wonderful daughter! My deepest sympathy. Dads are a hard thing to loose.

• abbyjean
    7 years ago

Debbie, I have no words. Truly. Such a loss and still so very fresh for you. Hugs for all of you. How is Lauren handling this? So sorry.

• Bruce Crawford
    7 years ago

Debbie, condolences.

• Debbie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you all.

My dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2008 when Lauren was only five. She doesn't really remember the "real" him.

• abbyjean
    7 years ago

OMG.....you fought that battle right along with him for a long time. We are dealing with some dementia issues with my mom, but nothing like Alzheimer's patients and families have. The 'real' him.....hoping you have that tucked into your heart and use it now for comfort.

Debbie thanked abbyjean
  • mamabear2014
    7 years ago

Debbie, You have my deepest sympathy. Having worked with Alzheimer's patients for a few years, I know how heartbreaking that disease is. Keep the happy memories in your heart. Take care--

• PRO
    American Home Contractors
    7 years ago

While it might not be exactly what you envisioned, I think you should keep them and here's why:

1. Your husband poured blood, sweat, and tears into your kitchen, I am sure. This kind of craftsmanship is very arduous and expensive. It's evident he made them with Love. People dole out a lot of extra money for that arch!

2. They're beautiful!

• haus5
    7 years ago
    Hi Debbie, so sorry for the loss of your dad. I haven't been here in a while. Somehow I think I can rest assured that you found comfort with your loving family. I'll be looking forward to your future post.
  • Debbie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The kitchen still isn't finished, but I posted pics in Before and After. I advertised my daughter's bedroom furniture for sale at work and a co-worker bought it. She brought her mother and daughter. On their way out, they saw the kitchen and invited themselves in to have a look. They were impressed! It inspired me to post my still unfinished kitchen. One day soon...